• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Urban transport vocabulary

Status
Not open for further replies.

M61017

Hello,

Could you please tell me the English word for the schedule each driver/bus/tram does on a certain day?! Let's say a bus doing "schedule" 37 does 3 turns of bus 3 at 0424, 0524 and 0624; then 4 turns of bus 11 at 0833, 0903, 0933 and 1003; then he has a break to continue in the afternoon with 4 times bus 3 at 1324, 1424, 1554 and 1654 and 1 turn of bus 42 at 1811. So you can say "schedule" 37 contains bus lines 3, 11 and 42. What's the special BE/AE word for that "schedule"? I am thinking of the "schedule" the bus does itself rather than of the shift the driver completes. (I am just saying because in some cities the drivers have their own buses, whence the bus and the driver do basically the same shift/schedule, whilst in other cities one bus is driven by several drivers on a specific day.) I have already asked in dictionary forums but nobody seems to know it. Thank you in advance.

Best wishes!

P.S. Is there any special name for the spare "schedule" which does have a number but does basically not do anything as long as not needed in case of problems at service during the day.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EM2

Established Member
For railways, it's a 'diagram'. Crew will have a diagram, and so will the train itself.
But for buses, I've heard bus drivers refer to a 'duty', for example 'What duty are you on tomorrow?'. I don't know if that's the official term though.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
For railways, it's a 'diagram'. Crew will have a diagram, and so will the train itself.
But for buses, I've heard bus drivers refer to a 'duty', for example 'What duty are you on tomorrow?'. I don't know if that's the official term though.
That was the word that was used by London Transport when I worked for them 45-50 years ago, and I believe it's used still. The 'schedule' in LT terms referred to the number of buses used and the duties required to work them , so route 160 for instance had a schedule of 10 buses and 25 duties allocated to work those buses over a full day.

M61017

Thank you very much.

Your explanations seem to show that the duty is the task the driver has to complete. Is there a name for the time period the bus/tram itself completes during the day?

5.jpg
Here I have an example. Vehicle no. 1201 is on ??? 0841 all day. The 0841 is shown at the front of the tram all day long. The tram is driven by several drivers. The next tram is going to be on ??? 0842, whichsoever vehicle and driver it will be. It is the vocabulary for the number 0841 marked red what I am looking for. Is it called duty as well? Thanks.

Last edited:

TRAX

Established Member
That would be the diagram of this tram for this day.

PeterC

Established Member
This is an example that I used to use for training systems analysts in the imortance or precise terminology in a programme spec.

M61017

Ok, thanks. I know it is hard to define but I use these terms every day in Hungarian and in German but have never had an idea how to say them in English. :)

bramling

Veteran Member
Hello,

Could you please tell me the English word for the schedule each driver/bus/tram does on a certain day?! Let's say a bus doing "schedule" 37 does 3 turns of bus 3 at 0424, 0524 and 0624; then 4 turns of bus 11 at 0833, 0903, 0933 and 1003; then he has a break to continue in the afternoon with 4 times bus 3 at 1324, 1424, 1554 and 1654 and 1 turn of bus 42 at 1811. So you can say "schedule" 37 contains bus lines 3, 11 and 42. What's the special BE/AE word for that "schedule"? I am thinking of the "schedule" the bus does itself rather than of the shift the driver completes. (I am just saying because in some cities the drivers have their own buses, whence the bus and the driver do basically the same shift/schedule, whilst in other cities one bus is driven by several drivers on a specific day.) I have already asked in dictionary forums but nobody seems to know it. Thank you in advance.

Best wishes!

P.S. Is there any special name for the spare "schedule" which does have a number but does basically not do anything as long as not needed in case of problems at service during the day.

Drivers normally refer to “duty” or “diagram”, although the slang term is “job“, which can also refer to part of a duty.

The term diagram isn’t really heard on LU, for both trains and crews.

A spare turn is generally known as just that, to differentiate it from a “running turn”.

Status
Not open for further replies.