• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Urgent assistance needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

zwk500

Veteran Member
People do want to help, but without the letter we really can't offer much advice due to not knowing the specific accusation against you. There are a number of different laws or by-laws you could be charged with, some more serious than others. They would need to be responded to differently to secure the best outcome.

The following information would also help people give appropriate advice.
When did the alleged incident occur?

How did you get through the ticket barriers at Greenhithe?

Where were you spoken to by an inspector?

What does the letter say?
Please upload a copy of the letter with your name, address and case reference number retracted.
Then you need to try to get the letter from your Dad. We do want to help you here but you also need to help yourself by providing all the details required on the forum. You will make it easier for us to help you if you do your part.
I would advise you ask your dad urgently to send you a photo or scan of the letter for you to post, or that he posts it himself on this thread.
After reading his thread I can see the similarities but his story is very different to my own
I agree which is why I'm trying to help you get the answers. I can't give advice myself as I don't know and don't want to mislead you in a very stressful situation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furlong

Established Member
Apologies if I missed this somewhere already, but are you younger or older than 17 and a half? That affects the legal process available to them.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If you see something which you believe breaches the Forum Rules or otherwise causes concern then please use the report button to bring this to the attention of the Forum Staff. We do not expect members to make, even thinly veiled, accusations regarding another member on any thread but especially in this section where the main purpose should always be to assist the OP in their issues. Use the report function for any such concerns.

@Urgent I apologise for any confusion that may have been caused by the reception your thread has received. I believe a number of posters have now provided some assistance so please do continue to respond as I'm sure they will continue to provide suggestions on what you can do.

Urgent

If you see something which you believe breaches the Forum Rules or otherwise causes concern then please use the report button to bring this to the attention of the Forum Staff. We do not expect members to make, even thinly veiled, accusations regarding another member on any thread but especially in this section where the main purpose should always be to assist the OP in their issues. Use the report function for any such concerns.

@Urgent I apologise for any confusion that may have been caused by the reception your thread has received. I believe a number of posters have now provided some assistance so please do continue to respond as I'm sure they will continue to provide suggestions on what you can do.
Thank you

skyhigh

Established Member
I will not be seeing my dad until next week Monday
I might have missed this, but what day did you get the letter? The other examples we've seen recently ask you to respond within 7 days. Make sure you respond within that timeframe (ideally send using a tracked service so you know they've received the letter you send).

londonteacher

This is the statement I intend on sending if anyone could check and offer any advice on it: Dear sirs/madams I am writing to ask for you to please consider withdrawing the case against me.I wish to apologise as I am extremely sorry for travelling without a ticket. I was in a rush so as to be on time to school and there was a queue at the ticket machine available and the ticket office had no available staff. I know this is not an excuse. It was a very stupid thing to do and I know that now after speaking to the officer and I will never do it again.I would highly grateful if you would consider agreeing to settle this matter out of court for the train fare that I did not pay and a sum to cover costs that you have incurred.Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you with your suggestion of how much would be required to settle this matter.
They will very unlikely withdraw it so I wouldn't ask for that as it could lead to going to court. They will most likely offer you a chance to settle out of court.

MotCO

Established Member
A couple days ago
it was early so it was open

I'm slightly confused. Did you say that the incident occured a couple of days ago, but yet you have received a letter already. Usually it takes a month or more for the letter, asking for your version of the events, to arrive. Does the letter you have received quote the dates of this incident, or was there a previous incident as well? If so, a repeat offence may not be looked upon so favourably.

Darandio

Established Member
I'm slightly confused. Did you say that the incident occured a couple of days ago, but yet you have received a letter already. Usually it takes a month or more for the letter, asking for your version of the events, to arrive. Does the letter you have received quote the dates of this incident, or was there a previous incident as well? If so, a repeat offence may not be looked upon so favourably.

There are a couple of other recent threads on here where letters have been received within two days.

Urgent

The letter came in 5 days

There are a couple of other recent threads on here where letters have been received within two days.
Well mine came in 5

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It is important that you engage with and reply to the letter you have received from the train company. You might want to include the following in your reply:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

Make sure your reply is short and concise, don't give a sob story - they've heard it all before. Most train companies are usually prepared to offer an administrative settlement (commonly known as an out of court settlement) to people who engage with the process and who haven't come to their attention before. There is no guarantee of this, and the train company is within their rights to prosecute you in the magistrates court, however harsh this may seem.

WesternLancer

Established Member
It is important that you engage with and reply to the letter you have received from the train company. You might want to include the following in your reply:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

Make sure your reply is short and concise, don't give a sob story - they've heard it all before. Most train companies are usually prepared to offer an administrative settlement (commonly known as an out of court settlement) to people who engage with the process and who haven't come to their attention before. There is no guarantee of this, and the train company is within their rights to prosecute you in the magistrates court, however harsh this may seem.
The OP's draft letter is in post #9 I think.

35B

Established Member
Then, reading your draft letter, your credibility will fall immediately when you say that this was your journey to school. I suspect from your posts that English is not your first language, but your letter will be read by someone whose first language is English, and will read it with those cultural biases. If you work in a school, say that you were going to work - “going to school” implies that you’re a pupil.

There is a lot of good advice available here, but you need to take the time to think about what is being said and how to express your case for someone who doesn’t know you or your circumstances.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Then, reading your draft letter, your credibility will fall immediately when you say that this was your journey to school. I suspect from your posts that English is not your first language, but your letter will be read by someone whose first language is English, and will read it with those cultural biases. If you work in a school, say that you were going to work - “going to school” implies that you’re a pupil.

There is a lot of good advice available here, but you need to take the time to think about what is being said and how to express your case for someone who doesn’t know you or your circumstances.
agree with this. When I read the 1st post I assumed the OP was in the 15-18 age group, but the use of the term college suggested (to someone educated in the English system) perhaps a 6th form or further ed (FE) colleges - so often aged 16 to 18. But I suspect the phrase 'school' was used in the way american refer to university as school. Of course FE colleges can take students who are older.
But I agree the OP needs to take care as 'school' to most people in UK probably means for people aged up to 18ish, and certainly people up to 16. If you are 23 and studying 'college' may be an acceptable term.

Urgent

English is not my first language. I am in a trade school learning a course.
Just to confirm because of that English is not my first language does that mean I will have a less of a chance of settling?

agree with this. When I read the 1st post I assumed the OP was in the 15-18 age group, but the use of the term college suggested (to someone educated in the English system) perhaps a 6th form or further ed (FE) colleges - so often aged 16 to 18. But I suspect the phrase 'school' was used in the way american refer to university as school. Of course FE colleges can take students who are older.
But I agree the OP needs to take care as 'school' to most people in UK probably means for people aged up to 18ish, and certainly people up to 16. If you are 23 and studying 'college' may be an acceptable term.
Thank you for the advise.

Last edited:

gray1404

Established Member
English being your first language does by no means effect your changes of obtaining an out of court settlement. However, it is very important that you get assistance from someone with a high command of English (or indeed though this forum) in drafting your letter so that when it is received it can be understood easily.

I am sure that one of the forum staff would be able to close this thread for you if you request that. However, it might be an idea that you keep it open so that we can 1. help you draft your letter to the train company correctly and 2. so you can report back here once you receive a reply in case any further action is required on your part.

Urgent

English being your first language does by no means effect your changes of obtaining an out of court settlement. However, it is very important that you get assistance from someone with a high command of English (or indeed though this forum) in drafting your letter so that when it is received it can be understood easily.

I am sure that one of the forum staff would be able to close this thread for you if you request that. However, it might be an idea that you keep it open so that we can 1. help you draft your letter to the train company correctly and 2. so you can report back here once you receive a reply in case any further action is required on your part.
okay I’ll leave it open once I make a new draft or get any updates I’ll post it

gray1404

Established Member
Would you like to post your current draft of the letter to them and I'll have a look at it now? I am assuming you have not replied to them yet?

Urgent

Would you like to post your current draft of the letter to them and I'll have a look at it now? I am assuming you have not replied to them yet?
I have not replied. I am not at home at the moment so when I do I will make a new draft correcting the mistakes according to the advise given

In view of this you may be better to refer to your intended destination as a training school.
Okay thank you will update it

gray1404

Established Member
I have just quickly drafted this for you. You may wish to consider sending this (or indeed using it as a start). Please let us know if you need any more help. You need to get this in the post Monday at the latest and I suggest you use First Class as a minimum.

Dear Sir/Madam

CASE REF: [INSERT YOUR CASE REFERENCE HERE]

I am writing in reply to your recent letter. I would like to apologise for travelling without a valid ticket. I arrived at the station without enough time to buy a ticket and there was a que so I boarded the train without a ticket intending to pay enroute. I now know this was the wrong action to take and I applogise for this. I can assure you this was an isolated incident and I shall arrive at the station with enough time to buy a ticket in future.

I would like to pay the fare due for my journey plus the costs you have incurred in dealing with this matter. I am sure you will understand my desire to avoid legal action and the consequences of such. I would therefore ask that you please offer an Out of Court Settlement in me in this closure of this matter?

Thank you for your assistance and I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

[INSERT YOUR NAME HERE]

Urgent

I have just quickly drafted this for you. You may wish to consider sending this (or indeed using it as a start). Please let us know if you need any more help. You need to get this in the post Monday at the latest and I suggest you use First Class as a minimum.

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing in reply to your recent letter. I would like to apologise for travelling without a valid ticket. I arrived at the station without enough time to buy a ticket and there was a que so I boarded the train without a ticket intending to pay enroute. I now know this was the wrong action to take and I applogise for this. I can assure you this was an isolated incident and I shall arrive at the station with enough time to buy a ticket in future.

I would like to pay the fare due for my journey plus the costs you have incurred in dealing with this matter. I am sure you will understand my desire to avoid legal action and the consequences of such. I would therefore ask that you please offer an Out of Court Settlement in me in this closure of this matter?

Yours faithfully

[INSERT YOUR NAME HERE]
Thank you so much. I highly appreciate this. I am so thankful

gray1404

Established Member
You're welcome. Just thinking Royal Mail collect mail on a Saturday too around 12 midday. Is there any way you could get your reply in the post to them tomorrow? Again, be sure to use First Class as a minimum to ensure it arrives in time. Please do post back here once you have a reply so we can assist further. Please also make sure that you insert your name and case reference number where I have indicated on the letter.

Just noticed you won't be seeing your Dad (and I assume have the letter until Monday) so at the latest make sure you get it in the post then, Tuesday due to the bank holiday. Royal Mail collect mail around 5pm weekdays.

Also, it is really important you keep a regular eye on your mail from now until this matter is closed. Once they reply, you may only have a short amount of time to respond again. If they offer an Out of Court Settlement this will need to be paid promptly and in full. I therefore suggest you set some money aside now or get saving (I would estimate about £150) so you can pay promptly.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing in reply to your recent letter. I would like to apologise for travelling without a valid ticket. I arrived at the station without enough time to buy a ticket and there was a queue so I boarded the train without a ticket intending to pay enroute. I now know this was the wrong action to take and I apologise for this. I can assure you this was an isolated incident and I shall arrive at the station with enough time to buy a ticket in future.

I would like to pay the fare due for my journey plus the costs you have incurred in dealing with this matter. I am sure you will understand my desire to avoid legal action and the consequences of such. I would therefore ask that you please offer an Out of Court Settlement to close the matter?

Yours faithfully

[INSERT YOUR NAME HERE]
Forgive me but I’ve corrected a couple of typos and fixed the syntax of a sentence so it reads a little better! :)

gray1404

Established Member
Thank you for this. I am in a bit of a rush this afternoon but wanted to do what I could to help. Thanks again!

WesternLancer

Established Member
You're welcome. Just thinking Royal Mail collect mail on a Saturday too around 12 midday. Is there any way you could get your reply in the post to them tomorrow? Again, be sure to use First Class as a minimum to ensure it arrives in time. Please do post back here once you have a reply so we can assist further. Please also make sure that you insert your name and case reference number where I have indicated on the letter.

Just noticed you won't be seeing your Dad (and I assume have the letter until Monday) so at the latest make sure you get it in the post then, Tuesday due to the bank holiday. Royal Mail collect mail around 5pm weekdays.

Also, it is really important you keep a regular eye on your mail from now until this matter is closed. Once they reply, you may only have a short amount of time to respond again. If they offer an Out of Court Settlement this will need to be paid promptly and in full. I therefore suggest you set some money aside now or get saving (I would estimate about £150) so you can pay promptly.
Yes - and to @Urgent - note Monday is a bank holiday so no post will be collected on Monday or after letter boxes (red Royal Mail pillar boxes) get emptied on Saturday (if the OP is not used to this, note that every letter box has a plate on saying when the collection is and at what time the post is taken from the box) the collections will be latest (but probably still around 12 noon) at an actual post office counter on Saturday - I would check your nearest and go there.

As no collection from red pillar boxes on bank holiday Monday 31st May your letter would not start on it's journey until Tuesday 1st of june if you miss the post collection tomorrow (saturday). If you go to the post office counter Saturday morning early you can pay extra for guaranteed fast delivery (or at least obtain a 'proof of posting receipt', that has no extra charge).

Status
Not open for further replies.