• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Urgent - issued wrong ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Hi all

I have bought a Chinley to Wakefield stations return with a 16-25 railcard and a Wakefield to Keighley return, but the latter has been issued as a concession return, which obviously isn't right. I have only just noticed, I have a 35 min connection in Sheffield before my train to Leeds. How am I best resolving this? I obviously need the correct ticket which is a return with a 16-25 railcard. Both were issued at the same time. Will I have to buy a new separate return with a 16-25 railcard or can the incorrect ticket be excessed?

Ta

Tom

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can you get the ticket re-issued at the issuing station?

If not, in theory an excess is possible, but some people will argue it "shouldn't be done" and will refuse, so you may have to 'shop around'. In a worst case scenario you may (and I don't agree with this...) have to buy a replacement ticket and request a refund from the issuing station (showing both tickets, the Railcard, and an explanation of the mistake, should see the admin fee waived - and in the unlikely event that it isn't, contact Customer Relations and, if necessary, Passenger Focus).

Chapeltom

Established Member
Can you get the ticket re-issued at the issuing station?

If not, in theory an excess is possible, but some people will argue it "shouldn't be done" and will refuse, so you may have to 'shop around'. In a worst case scenario you may (and I don't agree with this...) have to buy a replacement ticket and request a refund from the issuing station (showing both tickets, the Railcard, and an explanation of the mistake, should see the admin fee waived - and in the unlikely event that it isn't, contact Customer Relations and, if necessary, Passenger Focus).

I bought on the train from the guard, and didn't notice until I checked the tickets nearing the end of the journey, when it was too late to seek out the guard again.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Mention it to the guard on the next train and ask him to excess it for you. State the truth that you didn't notice it at the time of purchase. Is there a great difference in price? I often let things like this go if there is not a significant loss in revenue.

Good luck.

34D

Established Member
Mention it to the guard on the next train and ask him to excess it for you. State the truth that you didn't notice it at the time of purchase. Is there a great difference in price? I often let things like this go if there is not a significant loss in revenue.

Good luck.

'concession return' is 50% off for holders of Metro-issued ENCTS cards (so people 62 plus and eligible disabled people).

Chapeltom

Established Member

Good luck.

The difference is just over £1. I'm breaking my journey twice on the way to Keighley, at Shipley and Bingley. Rightly or wrongly, i'm waiting for rail staff to notice and acting as if I haven't realised until that point. I will offer to pay for a new Wakefield to Keighley return if necessary and see what is said. I don't want to deprive revenue but it is not my fault the ticket wasn't issued correctly.

Last edited:

34D

Established Member
The difference is just over £1. I'm breaking my journey twice on the way to Keighley, at Shipley and Bingley. Rightly or wrongly, i'm waiting for rail staff to notice and acting as if I haven't realised until that point. I will offer to pay for a new Wakefield to Keighley return if necessary and see what is said. I don't want to deprive revenue but it is not my fault the ticket wasn't issued correctly.

With that attitude, you deserve the £80 failure-to-pay penalty. This is no better than travelling on a childs' ticket.

pemma

Veteran Member
With that attitude, you deserve the £80 failure-to-pay penalty. This is no better than travelling on a childs' ticket.

An £80 fixed penalty is the harshest of 6 options Northern have for breaking railway rules and regulations: http://www.northernrail.org/travel/fines-and-penalties (Although option 6 is only applicable for car parking offences.)

It hardly seems fair on the passenger to implement the harshest option for a mistake that was made by a rail company employee even if the passenger is supposed to check the tickets issued are correct.

Clip

Established Member

When they post in the Disputes board you will tell them to write a letter to CS and try and get the penalty quashed due to their mistake, youre all over the place with your advice.

OP - please dont wait ofr the guard, if I were you Id go find one explain what happenned and get it sorted there and then. Obviously its an error on the previous guards behalf but being proactive will stop any unnecessary issues arising during the rest of your journey.

Chapeltom

Established Member
When they post in the Disputes board you will tell them to write a letter to CS and try and get the penalty quashed due to their mistake, youre all over the place with your advice.

OP - please dont wait ofr the guard, if I were you Id go find one explain what happenned and get it sorted there and then. Obviously its an error on the previous guards behalf but being proactive will stop any unnecessary issues arising during the rest of your journey.

Many thanks Clip for the sensible advice, same it's not roundly offered on here. I know enough about the disputes on here to know there's no point getting in a situation where I have to post in that forum.

Right fair enough, what I will do is pay for a single for Keighley to Wakefield stations and leave it at that. I have not got an attitude as adhered to by 34D .I should not have to stress and go out my way to explain an error made my railway employee to another one. My concern was more to do with the process of buying another ticket then going to get a refund for another. A quid is a quid, it's the added hassle. I think the Keighley to Wakefield single with a Y-P is only 3.50, so I'll only be 2.40 out of pocket, which is a pint in Spoons. I'll have paid over the odds, but will not chase a refund, too much hassle. I've come to Keighley to watch some RL, have a few beers on route and think it will be the stress-free option to buy a single to Wakefield as stated above.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Your reply doesn't warrant a response, except for me to say. I didn't ask for 'the extra discount'. I requested one ticket, one giving a discount of 33 p/c and got a ticket giving a 50 p/c discount.

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
Or write to the MD when the OPs wife was clear in the wrong! ;)

Good advice.

Clip

Established Member
Many thanks Clip for the sensible advice, same it's not roundly offered on here. I know enough about the disputes on here to know there's no point getting in a situation where I have to post in that forum.

Right fair enough, what I will do is pay for a single for Keighley to Wakefield stations and leave it at that. I have not got an attitude as adhered to by 34D .I should not have to stress and go out my way to explain an error made my railway employee to another one. My concern was more to do with the process of buying another ticket then going to get a refund for another. A quid is a quid, it's the added hassle. I think the Keighley to Wakefield single with a Y-P is only 3.50, so I'll only be 2.40 out of pocket, which is a pint in Spoons. I'll have paid over the odds, but will not chase a refund, too much hassle. I've come to Keighley to watch some RL, have a few beers on route and think it will be the stress-free option to buy a single to Wakefield as stated above.

Your reply doesn't warrant a response, except for me to say. I didn't ask for 'the extra discount'. I requested one ticket, one giving a discount of 33 p/c and got a ticket giving a 50 p/c discount.

As you say, its a trivial amount which would save on the hassle a letter from Northern would give you. Piece of mind can be priceless in this day and age

Enjoy the rugby.

@455 I did chuckle :)

34D

Established Member

With respect, I read threads and then form a view. In this thread I sensed a little 'attitude' from the poster - from his comment "i'll act as though it was the first time I noticed" or whatever his words were.

I try to read things, balance them, then form a view that will help. If that isn't good please speak to a moderator, or better yet feel welcome to PM me.

I agree fully with this advice.
An £80 fixed penalty is the harshest of 6 options Northern have for breaking railway rules and regulations: http://www.northernrail.org/travel/fines-and-penalties (Although option 6 is only applicable for car parking offences.)

It hardly seems fair on the passenger to implement the harshest option for a mistake that was made by a rail company employee even if the passenger is supposed to check the tickets issued are correct.

I would suggest there are four options harsher than this:

-out of court settlement where the matter has progressed a reasonable way - often a three-figure sum

-byelaw prosecution

-Regulation of Railways Act prosecution

-fraud prosecution

Status
Not open for further replies.