Urgent: Need to travel from London to Edinburgh tomorrow

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Samuel88, 10 Jul 2019.

1. Samuel88

Samuel88 On Moderation

Due to a close family bereavement me, my Mother and my younger Brother need to be in Edinburgh by tomorrow afternoon, however looking up the fares shows that it would cost northwards of £350. I was looking at hiring a car as the quote on a one way rental is £110, however I've never driven that kind of distance before, and I haven't got behind the wheel in over three years, so this would be the option of last resort.
    Is there any way I can get the rail fare to below £150, maybe with splitting?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. matt

matt Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Where are you travelling from?

4. Samuel88

Samuel88 On Moderation

Sorry, from London.

5. Joe Paxton

Joe Paxton Established Member

Where are you travelling from?

6. Samuel88

Samuel88 On Moderation

Sorry, from London. I've just edited the title!

7. kje7812

kje7812 Member

Any railcards?

8. NoMorePacers

NoMorePacers Member

If you're doing a return journey it's probably cheaper to buy 2 single tickets, which is what I found on my journey there.

9. Samuel88

Samuel88 On Moderation

Yeah, I have a disabled Railcard, and the fare I've looked at includes me and the accompanying persons discount.

10. sonic2009

sonic2009 Established Member

How old is your younger brother? And when do you think you will return?

Last edited: 10 Jul 2019
  11. tony_mac

tony_mac Established Member

Advance singles on the 0700 from King's Cross are £138.60 (1st); £139.90 in standard (standard same price for 06:15)
    Sorry - that's just for two people - I misread the original post; add ~£100 for the third person (or £66 with a railcard discount)

Last edited: 10 Jul 2019
  12. Samuel88

Samuel88 On Moderation

Well I have a disabled Railcard, my brother has a 16-26 card and my mum doesn't qualify for any Railcard!

13. sonic2009

sonic2009 Established Member

When do you think you will return?

14. Samuel88

Samuel88 On Moderation

Well, I'll probably be returning by Monday, my mum and brother, we're not sure

15. Darandio

Darandio Established Member

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything reasonable at such short notice, especially as one of you has no railcard. I'd be tempted to either take the hire car option or even jump on a Megabus tonight for £100 or so. Not ideal admittedly.

16. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Remember that with the Disabled Railcard you can take a companion (carer) whether you medically require one or not[1], so provided your Mum is making the identical journey the discount can be had for her too (but obviously only a single based on your plans - so it'd have to be an Advance).

If you can take your time getting up there, also look at Megabus?

They aren't exactly reliable at the moment, but does a split using Hull Trains or GC for part of the journey save anything? You could have a go on trainsplit.com to see?

[1] My Dad has one for being partially deaf in one ear and clearly doesn't require a carer, but I guess the railway doesn't want to get into means-testing and the likes so just sets a standard rule for everyone.

17. akm

akm Member

deleted

18. 3rd rail land

3rd rail land Member

The best you can do with Megabus or National Express is to take a coach tomorrow and arrive between 6-7pm at the earliest. There is nothing available with either operator for 3 people today, the best I could see was availability for 2 people travelling today.

The train will be a lot more expensive at such short notice but you will be able to get to Edinburgh for tomorrow afternoon.

19. ForTheLoveOf

ForTheLoveOf Established Member

The cheapest I can get it down to is £191.10 return for all three of you, though no doubt cheaper options will exist. That'd be taking London Northwestern to Crewe and Virgin Trains from there to Edinburgh, with split Advances on both services in each direction.

That's ignoring any options that might be cheaper if you got a Two Together Railcard for your mother and brother.

20. Bletchleyite

You could potentially split up? There is one seat available on each of the overnight Glasgow and Edinburgh Megabuses, then there's just one of you needing to buy a walk up train fare?

21. 3rd rail land

3rd rail land Member

There's 2 seats on an overnight National Express coach to Edinburgh so at least 2 people could travel together. It says the price is from £82.

Then only 1 person has to use the train tomorrow, preferably someone with a railcard!

22. Bletchleyite

2 on NE and 1 on Megabus (if nobody has snapped it up yet) - sorted :)

23. gordonthemoron

gordonthemoron Established Member

easyjet is more expensive than the train

24. Bletchleyite

Yes, I checked that earlier - roughly £150 a head one way.

25. Samuel88

Samuel88 On Moderation

I've decided to bite the bullet and hire a car. Even with the waivers and one way drop off fee it's a good £200 cheaper than the train. I considered going by coach while my Mother and Brother travel by train but in the end it would still work out cheaper (and far less hassle) to just drive!

26. Bletchleyite

OK, I hope your journey isn't too bad in the circumstances. Be sure to take it easy and take plenty of breaks.

27. Samuel88

Samuel88 On Moderation

Don't worry, my mum also has health issues so we'll be stopping off often. Now I just have to decide whether to go up the A1 or take the M6.

28. Journeyman

Journeyman Established Member

It usually is if you book at the last minute. A lot of people are convinced you can always travel on them for pennies, and that the train always costs a fortune, but the last seats on both the train and the plane will cost hundreds.

29. Bletchleyite

And on the train you're at least capped at the Anytime/Off Peak/Super Off Peak Single/Return as appropriate (much as RDG would prefer you weren't) - Sleasy can (and do) go as high as they reckon they can get.

I was slightly surprised that the overnight coaches were only after about 50 quid a pop.

30. Samuel88

Samuel88 On Moderation

I was tempted to fly, but I find flying to be extremely stressful, so decided against it!

31. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

And there we have it - the fact that the cheapest option is to drive sums up everything thing that is wrong with transport policy in this country. :(