• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

US airlines

Status
Not open for further replies.

evil_hippo

I am considerign making a journey to Baltimore with US airways and I was wondering if anyone had any experience of them that could tell me what they are like and whether it woudl be an awful idea to even come close to one of their flights, and more specifically whether it would be worth £90 and extra to go Air Canada (which i somehow doubt).

I also have some other questions:
- The flight leaves Gatwick at 1150, with the airline requiring check in by 0950. To be safe I would want the 0845 from Victoria, meaning according to minimun conectional times (which err on the side of caution, which is exactly what I plan to do) 0810 at Euston. So, what i want to know is I can totally trust the lowland sleeper not to be an hour late. Can I do this?
- Do you need any special travel documents to travel to the United states?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I would trust the sleeper as much as I enjoy a salad...ie, not at all. Never know when something will go wrong...But then I trust no trains, no buses, no private vehicles to be on time.

As for documents, a passport and visa to enter America come into mind. There may be a need for a biometric passport, but I can't remember what that is about. Never gone there, never sampled the airline either. I'd imagine they will be pretty expensive too. Check with them first before booking I would for any documents you need.

T

Tom

To go to the USA, when I went last year, as long as you are a resident British citizen, you will require no special documentation and you'll be able to do the 2 sheets that you will need to complete on the plane.

When you arrive in the USA, you'll initially go through US Homeland & Border Security (IIRC?), aka Immigrations, where they will take a scan of your iris and fingerprints, then you'll hand in your sheets here or at a later point. You'll then get ya bags and then ya ok! As for US Airlines... *cough* **** *cough*.

evil_hippo

My friend tells me that Air Canada is a far better airline. But is it worth £90 and a change? That is the question.

David

Established Member
Also, if you can, book your tickets 11 months in advance. Thats when the airlines release their pricing structure for US flights. (Unless things have changed in the last 2 years.)

Guinness

Established Member
To be honest Hippo you'd be better asking airliners.net as they would give you every detail of the aircraft.

OR Try www.airlinequality.com - Gives you reviews on Airlines :)

HTH

Just check the aircraft you are on. Avoid 757 like the plague for longhaul - it's not nice spending 8 or 9 hours in them. If you can, see if you can get an A330, A340, 777 or 747, you'll be assured of some luxury then and a tollerable journey. 767s are okay but not fantastic.

Gareth Hale

You should fly with American Airlines. You will get the 777 to Boston then a ERD to Baltimore.

Angus

evil_hippo said:
I am considerign making a journey to Baltimore with US airways and I was wondering if anyone had any experience of them that could tell me what they are like and whether it woudl be an awful idea to even come close to one of their flights, and more specifically whether it would be worth £90 and extra to go Air Canada (which i somehow doubt).

US airlines are all pretty bad, but I haven't been on AC so can't compare.

Boeing-Pilot

Stay clear of US Airways 767s, they only have the 200 series! Weather it would be one I dont know, they only have 10 of the things. Probably be a Airbus.

Guinness

Established Member
US Airways will most likely put on a 332 or something of similar size.

The A330-200 is a honey on longhaul, especially the nicely equiped ones with Trent 772Bs. In fact, it is one of my favourite aircraft as both a pilot and a passenger.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
747s will always be my choice of aircraft. Does anyone know what aircraft Britannia use on flights from Cardiff to Portgual? I did such a flight back in 199x, can't remember the year, but I have no idea what craft was used. If it were a 747, then give me one of those next time I fly, I enjoyed it.

Also, anyone aware of what craft Monarch use on Athens to Gatwick, and what Air 2000 (can't remember their name now, I had it in my head for years after the flight, no idea now) use on Gatwick to Athens? These are flights I did a few (5 probably) years ago, would be nice to know what I was likely to have had.

I'm sure I've done an Airbus or something on Cardiff to Dublin a couple of times too.

Guinness

Established Member
Cardiff - Portugal 199x - 757 (Single Aisle) or 767 (2 Aisles)
Monarch - A320/321 if schedualed or B757/A300 if charter.

Air 2000 is now First Choice Airways

HTH in some way ;)

evil_hippo

Right. So. I ended up finding a nicely priced BA flight direct to Washington. £324; just slightly more expensive than US but a decent airline flying to a more convenient airport. Any idea what to expect on that run?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Cooooool! I assume you can then walk straight past the poor souls who have to check in at the airport itself? If so that must be a huge plus!

As for 777s not being good, I don't know, I've not sampled one in the flesh yet, but I've seen a video of one using MIA (Miami I believe), sounded quite good.

By the way evil_hippo, how far ahead did you book those tickets? £324 sounds a lot of money, is that a return fare? Standard Class?

Guinness

Established Member
WSXFan said:
Cooooool! I assume you can then walk straight past the poor souls who have to check in at the airport itself? If so that must be a huge plus!

Yeah. That's more or less the idea, unless you have hold baggage then you need to find a machine to stick the tags on etc.

Gareth Hale

WSXFan said:

As for 777s not being good, I don't know, I've not sampled one in the flesh yet, but I've seen a video of one using MIA (Miami I believe), sounded quite good.

By the way evil_hippo, how far ahead did you book those tickets? £324 sounds a lot of money, is that a return fare? Standard Class?

£324 isnt bad, its £500 per person return on American Airlines to Chicago. The 777's are fantastic planes, I like that video I showed you, sooooo nice 8-)8-)8-)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yep, that is the video to which I referred in my previous post.

£324 doesn't sound bad for the distance and time involved, it's more the cost of travelling to/from Heathrow that makes it difficult. I've heard of £199 with Virgin to fly to New York or somewhere like that last year, wish I could have done it.

evil_hippo

WSXFan said:
Yep, that is the video to which I referred in my previous post.

£324 doesn't sound bad for the distance and time involved, it's more the cost of travelling to/from Heathrow that makes it difficult. I've heard of £199 with Virgin to fly to New York or somewhere like that last year, wish I could have done it.

Manchester and newcastle always come out as at least £100 more; even if I have to buy a saver it'll be cheaper. Plus, I couldn't get to either in time for the latest flights as they all leave in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.