• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

US Railways under the Biden Administration

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
In two days time Joe Biden will of course be sworn in as the 46th President of the United States. I was wondering what this will mean for railways in the United States?

I know Joe Biden is a railways fan he was nicknamed "Amtrak Joe" when he was first elected to the senate as he would travel daily on Amtrak from Delaware to Washington which takes several hours. He has also mentioned several times that he is a lover of Amtrak.

Given the low usage Amtrak has compared to most national railways it would be nice if his administration did improve services. I am aware however that most railway services in the United States are not the responsibility of the federal government but rather state governments.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
In two days time Joe Biden will of course be sworn in as the 46th President of the United States. I was wondering what this will mean for railways in the United States?

I know Joe Biden is a railways fan he was nicknamed "Amtrak Joe" when he was first elected to the senate as he would travel daily on Amtrak from Delaware to Washington which takes several hours. He has also mentioned several times that he is a lover of Amtrak.

Given the low usage Amtrak has compared to most national railways it would be nice if his administration did improve services. I am aware however that most railway services in the United States are not the responsibility of the federal government but rather state governments.
The federal government provides the funding for many transport projects even if the individual states deliver them. The Trump administration has been holding back project funding agreed by Congress, and also shifting it from urban transit towards rural road projects.

Biden's nominee for transport is Pete Buttigeig, a young and energetic former (and possible future) contender for President. He has an ambitious programme for boosting transit, but how much survives contact with reality is questionable, with the Senate finely balanced and many Republicans opposing funding for anything that isn't a road or an airport.

The NorthEast Corridor between Washington and Boston, which Biden used, is recognisable to Europeans as an intercity railway. There are a few other "corridors" in the Midwest and on the West Coast where cities are close enough for rail to be time-competitive and states are prepared to supplement Amtrak's federal funding, but the best service on these is probably around a train every couple of hours. Adoption of European high speed technology would make this service more worthwhile and extend it to more city pairs, but there are considerable costs involved as each route would probably need a new high speed line end to end. Also the local transit in most American cities is pretty dire by European standards. It's much easier to drive and park in the downtown - in fact some downtowns have more area of car parking than anything else - but the combination of slow trains, fast highways and a prevalent car culture means people are more likely to drive end to end than to drive to a station for a train. There is obviously also a strong airline industry with political lobby attached, which is essential for longer-distance journeys and tends to capture many shorter ones.

Some cities have something called "commuter rail", which is usually a few trains running in the peak hour and direction on a freight railroad. The economics of these are probably terrible because of the poor utilisation of the stock and crews, but only a few run any sort of interpeak, evening or weekend service. This is partly because the track owner wants to run its profitable freight at those times.

Taunton

Established Member
The overall concept map of Amtrak doesn't look a lot different to how it was the day it was created 50 years ago in 1971. A few traditional long-distance routes, daily or less, generally patronised by tourists. The North-East corridor, Boston to Washington, where frequency is little different to then, and astoundingly overall speeds not a lot different to what the Metroliners did in 1971 (or even what the Pennsylvania was doing in the 1950s after electrification). A few corridor routes based on Chicago and California.

This all through umpteen different generations of political leadership and funding. The latter gets cut back periodically, then sneaks back. A new US President seems quite unconnected.

I use it from time to time from New York City to Albany NY, supposedly one of the key "corridors". Looking at old timetables it's not a lot different. The loads are generally pretty thin, if you are unlucky the crew push everyone into one car for their own convenience. My colleagues in Albany drive somewhat south to Poughkeepsie, extent of the Metro-North commuter line. Half the fare, double the service, and the car park not in the urban rough end of Albany in Rensselaer.

hwl

Established Member
Biden's nominee for transport is Pete Buttigeig, a young and energetic former (and possible future) contender for President. He has an ambitious programme for boosting transit, but how much survives contact with reality is questionable, with the Senate finely balanced and many Republicans opposing funding for anything that isn't a road or an airport.
Pete was a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford and gets non-car based transport...

williamn

I wouldn't necessarily agree that the long-distance trains are for tourists only, they have a lot of 'normal' passengers too. Some choose not to fly, some can't afford it, some can't for medical or even religious reasons (the Amish) I've had many very random conversations in the dining car with lots of very real Americans! What Amtrak doesn't seem to be able to grapple with is customer service - as alluded to above staff often treat passengers as an inconvenience and the food is generally terrible, which is an issue when you're on the train for several days...

MarcVD

Some cities have something called "commuter rail", which is usually a few trains running in the peak hour and direction on a freight railroad.

Some large cities (New York, Chicago) obviously have better than that. And even some mid-size ones (Boston comes to mind) have a pretty good commuter network around.

LeeLivery

Established Member
The Biden-Harris website says:
Sparking the second great railroad revolution. Biden will make sure that America has the cleanest, safest, and fastest rail system in the world — for both passengers and freight. His rail revolution will reduce pollution, connect workers to good union jobs, slash commute times, and spur investment in communities that will now be better linked to major metropolitan areas. To speed that work, Biden will tap existing federal grant and loan programs at the U.S. Department of Transportation, and improve and streamline the loan process. In addition, Biden will work with Amtrak and private freight rail companies to further electrify the rail system, reducing diesel fuel emissions.
And
Revolutionizing municipal transit networks. Most Americans do not have access to high-quality and zero-emissions options for affordable, reliable public transportation; and where transit exists, it’s often in need of repair. As a result, workers and families rely on cars and trucks, which can be a big financial burden and clog roadways. Biden will aim to provide all Americans in municipalities of more than 100,000 people with quality public transportation by 2030. He will allocate flexible federal investments with strong labor protections to help cities and towns install light rail networks and improve existing transit and bus lines. He’ll also help them invest in infrastructure for pedestrians, cyclists, and riders of e-scooters and other micro-mobility vehicles and integrate technologies like machine-learning optimized traffic lights. And, Biden will work to make sure that new, fast-growing areas are designed and built with clean and resilient public transit in mind. Specifically, he will create a new program that gives rapidly expanding communities the resources to build in public transit options from the start.

So talk of electrification, HSR, and new light rail lines. I'm skeptical much more than what's already in the pipeline will actually get done, mind.

That said, I'd hope the Hudson Tunnel issue will get sorted at least. It'd also be nice to see NY-NJ have much better integration in the Metropolitan area.

Taunton

Established Member
What Amtrak doesn't seem to be able to grapple with is customer service - as alluded to above staff often treat passengers as an inconvenience and the food is generally terrible,
A characteristic of accounts of US train travel by Europeans is some absolutely appalling customer service attitudes. This includes a number of such accounts on this board. Here's a trip of mine on Acela, from New York to Philadelphia

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Biden will make sure that America has the cleanest, safest, and fastest rail system in the world — for both passengers and freight.
That's just setting himself up to fail.

Cleanest - that would require electrification of thousands of miles of main lines, most of which would be more expensive to operate as a result. Even with the length of the trains the low frequency probably makes diesel the most economic solution - even when talking about freight. Very little of that could be achieved in a four year term even if unlimited funding was made available tomorrow.

Safest - Passenger rail travel in America is significantly less safe than travelling the same distance in the UK, and major accidents to freight trains are commonplace. Again this would take huge investment in issues such as eliminating level crossings.

Fastest - California is aiming for 355km/h but as the surviving high speed section doesn't approach the main cities, most journeys will be considerably slower on average than that might require. No other high speed rail service is going to be deliverable within a four-year term.

The urban transit quote seems a little more realistic, and probably more significant to more people. According to Wikipedia there are 317 cities with over 100,000 population and 41 light rail operations, some of which are tiny city centre streetcar routes serving no significant transport purpose. But it refers to "public transportation" so buses will be doing the bulk of the heavy lifting here. That's something that might be achievable in four years given enough funding.

Taunton

Established Member
Cleanest - that would require electrification of thousands of miles of main lines, most of which would be more expensive to operate as a result. Even with the length of the trains the low frequency probably makes diesel the most economic solution - even when talking about freight. Very little of that could be achieved in a four year term even if unlimited funding was made available tomorrow.
As I understand it electrification of US main lines is no longer practical, as Double-Stacks have taken all the headroom that was once available.

Regarding "safest", one look at the new Florida Brightline (and its record) shows something which would be completely unacceptable in Europe. 40 fatalities in its first two years. Even I couldn't believe it when I read it https://www.npr.org/2020/01/29/7999...iest After High Rate Of,up most of the deaths.

Last edited:

As I understand it electrification of US main lines is no longer practical, as Double-Stacks have taken all the headroom that was once available.

Regarding "safest", one look at the new Florida Brightline (and its record) shows something which would be completely unacceptable in Europe. 40 fatalities in its first two years. Even I couldn't believe it when I read it https://www.npr.org/2020/01/29/799962246/brightline-nations-deadliest-railroad-after-high-number-of-track-deaths#:~:text=Live Sessions-,Florida's Brightline Railroad Is Nation's Deadliest After High Rate Of,up most of the deaths.
Given the large number of Level Crossings and tracks that are mostly not fenced off in the USA I guess its hardly surprising.

Clearly some improvements would be welcome but it is so far behind and realistically its always going to be mainly a car/plane orientated country.

Last edited:

LeeLivery

Established Member

Regarding "safest", one look at the new Florida Brightline (and its record) shows something which would be completely unacceptable in Europe. 40 fatalities in its first two years. Even I couldn't believe it when I read it https://www.npr.org/2020/01/29/799962246/brightline-nations-deadliest-railroad-after-high-number-of-track-deaths#:~:text=Live Sessions-,Florida's Brightline Railroad Is Nation's Deadliest After High Rate Of,up most of the deaths.

I did see a news clip on it. They said people didn't realise how quickly the trains were travelling so often got hit as a result. Brightline has been done on the cheap while claiming it's revolutionary and, over focuses on it being a private enterprise. It's great that the system exists and is being expanded, but for a railway to say "fencing is too expensive" is really not good enough.

That's just setting himself up to fail.

Basically.

Taunton

Established Member
IIRC, this is because regulations require a crew member in every car occupied by passengers.
Not sure of that. But having corralled all the passengers into one car, the crew all sit together in the next car, spread out, and play cards.

Shinkansenfan

IIRC, this is because regulations require a crew member in every car occupied by passengers.

Fortunately, there is no US Federal regulation which requires that. That would make the service cost prohibitive. Indeed, Brightline is unusual in the the Conductor rides upfront in the head end (locomotive) with the Engineer, whereas other passenger operations have the Conductor back in the carriages.

Amtrak Conductors and many commuter rail services (not using proof of payment) are diligent about checking that passengers have tickets and will typically check after each station. The use of seat checks (small slips of paper with destination code punched or marked) placed over the seats is one method to check that passengers have paid without repeatedly asking for tickets to be displayed.

___

The Alliance for Safe Trains mentioned in the NPR report seems to be opposed to a railway that pre-dates any of the residents living today, and indeed, helped make Florida what it is. After reading their website, I get the impression they are opposed to any trains operating on the Florida East Coast tracks. Classic NIMBY-ism. Passenger or freight, they complain about all.

I wonder if they are part of the organized opposition to Brightline that filed lawsuits to prevent Brightline from becoming operational.

Many of the deaths were due to people trying to beat the train at the grade crossing--sometimes ducking under the crossing barrier. Some due to suicides.

In the US, railroads are not obligated to fence the entirety of their right of way; it would be very expensive and not deter determined tresspassers. And from experience, once fenced, sections will be repeatedly cut. Also fencing exposes the railways to liability in that if fencing was not repaired, the trespasser (or family) may claim negligence upon the railroad. Brightline is in a no win situation.

Here's some links that may be of interest: https://miami.cbslocal.com/2019/12/02/brightline-florida-high-speed-train-highest-us-death-rate/

"None of Brightline’s deaths were caused by crew error or faulty equipment, according to law enforcement and federal reports. The majority have been suicides, while most others involved impatient motorists, pedestrians or bicyclists who misjudged the trains’ speed and ignored bells, gates or other warnings. Drugs, alcohol or both have been found in many victims’ systems."

Here's local newspaper reporting: https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/...appened-and-what-next/VdlP5l3DNq1KUoE6LEsE0H/

This portion of Florida has become densely developed with a plethora of grade crossings, which would be costly to grade separate.

ge-gn

To be frank, long distance intercity travel in the US is, and will remain a niche market. The distances involved are just too great for even a high speed network to dent the airline stronghold.

Let’s just imagine for a moment a high speed railway between major metropolitan areas. Say Chicago to somewhere on the Northeast corridor to access NY, DC, Philly, putting aside all geographical and political barriers on route, a distance of around 700 miles.

Would a journey time of say six hours city to city really tempt off an airplane? I doubt it.

Even in Europe how many people would really use rail over air for such distances, say London to Berlin if a direct route existed. I would, but not a huge amount others.

williamn

Not sure of that. But having corralled all the passengers into one car, the crew all sit together in the next car, spread out, and play cards.
This is often the case, sometimes taking up almost half the booths in the cafe car, again totally un-customer centric.

Taunton

Established Member
"None of Brightline’s deaths were caused by crew error or faulty equipment, according to law enforcement and federal reports. The majority have been suicides, while most others involved impatient motorists, pedestrians or bicyclists who misjudged the trains’ speed.
One wonders how the assessment could be made that "most others" misjudged the trains' speed, about someone who has been killed.

Victim blaming at its worst.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
One wonders how the assessment could be made that "most others" misjudged the trains' speed, about someone who has been killed.

Victim blaming at its worst.
Perhaps they appeared to be crossing the track, rather than standing still?

JonasB

Would a journey time of say six hours city to city really tempt off an airplane? I doubt it.

Even in Europe how many people would really use rail over air for such distances, say London to Berlin if a direct route existed. I would, but not a huge amount others.

It will attract a few passengers on the end to end route. But more important it will be a great improvement for those live inbetween. I think there are few who take the direct train from Aberdeen to Penzance, but it still serves a purpose.

williamn

Perhaps they are former Virgin/Avanti West Coast staff?
Hardly - we're talking 3-4 staff here spending almost all of the journey hogging booths that could be seating 16 people, and woe betide anyone try and sit anyone near them. Never seen anything like that here.

cle

Established Member
Planning and construction in the US are horribly slow, expensive processes - worse than when we in UK/EU think we are overly judicious.

Gateway would be enough frankly. Biden gets that through and that's more legacy than any one person can dream of. It could begin relatively quickly on the NJ side too.

But there are opportunities across the country. Rail is growing (see PNW, Piedmont, Florida, New England) - the 79mph cap, DMU/EMU FRA norms and other long-standing traditions could be addressed. Freight owners could be incentivized to play ball especially on line speeds.

HSR is only going to be in corridors, it's rare than any individual pair will justify the $. America works on many hub and spokes, not primacy. Even NYC/DC wouldn't surirve without NJ, Philly and Baltimore. So where else can similar occur over longer distance? Texas if the route is right, and focused on Dallas? Brightline have gotten ahead in Florida. PNW.

Electrification and EMUs especially could see growth. Caltrain will see a massive uptick, once office working returns. Other city regions will want in. Boston has a lot of potential - culturally more rail-friendly with a dense, walkable (not driving friendly) centre, less dominated by freight, plus future growth planned for the South East lines and Western Mass projects... other than that, Chicago maybe but very few trunks, super radiating - and freight in charge. Metrorail in LA should have much greater use. The Union Station project will help there.

Who knows? But exciting times.

Gostav

I did see a news clip on it. They said people didn't realise how quickly the trains were travelling so often got hit as a result. Brightline has been done on the cheap while claiming it's revolutionary and, over focuses on it being a private enterprise. It's great that the system exists and is being expanded, but for a railway to say "fencing is too expensive" is really not good enough.

Basically.
But in continent Europe, many mainlines are also still not fenced.

LeeLivery

Established Member
But in continent Europe, many mainlines are also still not fenced.

That's true. However, Brightline at the moment is wholly within an urban area. The idea of a 120km/h railway through an urban area as populated as Miami without fencing in Western Europe at least is nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.