• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

USA Electric frieght Locos: AKA What a life:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfie1014

In the video for Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds track, AKA What a life there's a shot of a frieght (mineral) train crossing a desert hauled by four electric locos. I'm assuming it's the USA but does anyone know what line it is?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rf_ioliver

In the video for Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds track, AKA What a life there's a shot of a frieght (mineral) train crossing a desert hauled by four electric locos. I'm assuming it's the USA but does anyone know what line it is?

Do you mean the Black Mesa & Lake Powell Railroad in Arizona

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Mesa_and_Lake_Powell_Railroad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnJvvjFZ9x8

Found this on trainsim.com - might be useful:

http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?210046-No-electric-locos-for-freight-trains-on-U-S-A

t.

Ian

HSTEd

Veteran Member
There is a second electric railroad similar to the black mesa, but I can't remember where it is.... sorry.

THen there is always the glory of the Iowa Traction Railroad that uses trolley wire interurban locomotives from 1918 to haul modern freight vehicles, it looks really strange.

b0b

Established Member
There's also the South Shore line that has passenger service that between Chicago and South Bend, Indiana, and the Metra Electric service from Chicago to its south suburbs.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
There's plenty of electric passenger lines in the US b0b (especially in the north and the north east)- but those carry no electric freight as far as I'm aware.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Indeed, freight services over the south shore line are done using diesel locomotives as far as I know.

Railsigns

Established Member
I was there in 2010:

bm&lp1.jpg

bm&lp2.jpg

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Very odd because its 50kV AC and it uses wooden poles to support the traction equipment.

Alfie1014

Thanks for the replies it looks like it is the Black Mesa and Lake Powell RR. Very odd to see a string of 'leckies' powering across the desert.

starrymarkb

Established Member
I presume the stock has to be delivered by road, IIRC the line is completely isolated from the main US network.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
There's also the South Shore line that has passenger service that between Chicago and South Bend, Indiana, and the Metra Electric service from Chicago to its south suburbs.

The South Shore Line is notable not only for its electric traction, but also a significant proportion of on street running through Indiana. See this HD video to get the idea (and you thought un-barriered level crossings are a problem!).

[youtube]joc111-IDgA[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.