• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

USA response to Covid-19 and face masks

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Parents should not be forcing children to wear masks. In my school the proportion of children wearing masks is well under one percent. Of those that do wear them, I do not think they are forced but have perhaps been mislead.

Most days I can go about my business and see hundreds of people both inside and outside and not see a single mask, including going to work, playing sports, going to pubs and occasionally even going to shops without seeing any masks. Is it like that in parts of the USA? I expect some parts of the USA will be maskless while others may be mask-mad?

I believe masks are even more controversial in parts of the USA than they are here. The only thing flimsy masks are good for here is causing arguments.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bacon_BMW

Most days I can go about my business and see hundreds of people both inside and outside and not see a single mask, including going to work, playing sports, going to pubs and occasionally even going to shops without seeing any masks. Is it like that in parts of the USA? I expect some parts of the USA will be maskless while others may be mask-mad?
Because of how political COVID has become, your chances of seeing masks is directly related to where the majority of an area is on the political spectrum.
I believe masks are even more controversial in parts of the USA than they are here. The only thing flimsy masks are good for here is causing arguments.
Easily. Local government/school board meetings are just a bunch of grown adults acting like children and I’m convinced national/state governments are so caught up in maintaining their parties’ views that they don’t make decisions based on actual data anymore.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
All I can say is at this precise moment I was supposed to be mid Atlantic to Chicago, thank god I am not. We re-arranged for March and I am already thinking of cancelling it.

I think Gilead is here to stay.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Because of how political COVID has become, your chances of seeing masks is directly related to where the majority of an area is on the political spectrum.
It seems like wearing of face coverings in urban areas is significantly lower than rural areas, despite the fact that urban areas tend to be more left leaning.

It’s almost as if the political classes are totally different from the people actually supporting them...

87electric

All I can say is at this precise moment I was supposed to be mid Atlantic to Chicago, thank god I am not. We re-arranged for March and I am already thinking of cancelling it.

I think Gilead is here to stay.
Movies, TV, music and books are said to soften us up for future reality. Gilead crossed with Brave New World anyone? Let’s see what happens to the birth rate in the next 20 years.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

This video is unbelievable. I really don’t understand how any of the political leaders or campaigners pushing masks can think this is right.

Ugh, that really does get me angry - glad that nonsense hasn't permeated the UK (spoken as parent of 3 and 5 year old). Let kids be kids, they are at such low risk.

I don't care about wearing a mask myself, but there are a few young kids I've seen around that I've been genuinely concerned for due to their excessively pushy parenting on the matter (thankfully a tiny minority)

The worst I got was taking my 3 year old for a Covid test, was asked if he could wear a mask on the site, but they quickly accepted it wasn't going to work when he pulled it straight off and let us in anyway.

duncanp

Established Member

This video is unbelievable. I really don’t understand how any of the political leaders or campaigners pushing masks can think this is right.

One of the replies to the twitter thread is

Shame on mom for not teaching this child to wear a mask. Good on the day care workers for their patience

I wonder if the person making this remark has, or has ever had, young children.

Probably not, I would imagine.

This shows just how polarised and deeply divisive the whole face mask issue has become.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

This shows just how polarised and deeply divisive the whole face mask issue has become.

Did you not know? Kids come with instruction manuals, and you just need to follow that. Any non-parent will tell you *that*. <\sarcasm>

DustyBin

Established Member

Some people really are sick. The scary thing is they actually think they’re doing the right thing. Whilst some historical comparisons may be a little hyperbolic, you can certainly see how atrocities have been allowed to happen.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I'm really shocked by those videos & stories. What kind of messed up world are we living in when 2 year old children are treated like plague victims and terrorists? The US really, really needs to get a grip of itself!

hst43102

Some people really are sick. The scary thing is they actually think they’re doing the right thing. Whilst some historical comparisons may be a little hyperbolic, you can certainly see how atrocities have been allowed to happen.
I don't think there has ever been a time in history when actual child abuse has been encouraged and mandated by what is supposed to be the most free and greatest country on earth. What a depressing place America has become.

Those videos have ruined my day.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I don't think there has ever been a time in history when actual child abuse has been encouraged and mandated by what is supposed to be the most free and greatest country on earth. What a depressing place America has become.

Horrific isn't it? Like you say for people to be mandating such behaviour is bad enough, but for people to be in favour of it? My faith in humanity has plummeted this weekend.

DustyBin

Established Member

I share your sentiments. How long before someone starts selling “childproof” face coverings I wonder? I imagine the advert would read like something out of Viz!

Bantamzen

Established Member
I share your sentiments. How long before someone starts selling “childproof” face coverings I wonder? I imagine the advert would read like something out of Viz!
"Do you have a problem with your children breathing all over the place? Well thanks to Prof Biden's science team, we have a solution. The new patented Stop-U-Breath self adhesive children's face mask. Just press firmly onto the child's cake hole, and this will form a semi-permanent seal on their face, ensuring that you can with confidence go onto social media and tell all your friends just how virtuous you really are. They are guaranteed to stop viruses, bacteria, oxygen reaching your precious one's lungs. And they are practically impossible to remove on an American flight, so the cabin crew don't have to panic at the sight of a maskless toddler and call for the armed Feds. Order before the end of September to receive a free pack of virtue signalling banners for your social media profile pictures....."

philosopher

Established Member

Another twitter reply:
Yea, so if your toddler wants to go out in the winter and doesn't want to put a coat on, your plan is to let them freeze?
This reply shows how so many have screwed risk perceptions of Covid. I don’t know how many healthy toddlers have died from Covid, but from what I understand of Covid I suspect the answer is either zero or very close to it.
And in any case masks are meant to protect others, not the wearer.

DustyBin

Established Member
"Do you have a problem with your children breathing all over the place? Well thanks to Prof Biden's science team, we have a solution. The new patented Stop-U-Breath self adhesive children's face mask. Just press firmly onto the child's cake hole, and this will form a semi-permanent seal on their face, ensuring that you can with confidence go onto social media and tell all your friends just how virtuous you really are. They are guaranteed to stop viruses, bacteria, oxygen reaching your precious one's lungs. And they are practically impossible to remove on an American flight, so the cabin crew don't have to panic at the sight of a maskless toddler and call for the armed Feds. Order before the end of September to receive a free pack of virtue signalling banners for your social media profile pictures....."

Nailed it! :lol:

And if they still refuse to wear one you could always introduce them to “The Mighty Disciplinarian”!

Ianno87

Veteran Member

You can, believe it or not, buy child-sized disposable face coverings. I did see a kid being carried around in a baby harness (so 18 months old tops) wearing one...

Another twitter reply:

This reply shows how so many have screwed risk perceptions of Covid. I don’t know how many healthy toddlers have died from Covid, but from what I understand of Covid I suspect the answer is either zero or very close to it.
And in any case masks are meant to protect others, not the wearer.

The "let them freeze"... what I do is let him go out without wearing his coat (but take it with us in my arm)...after barely a.minute outside he changes his mind fairly quickly and puts it on...

DustyBin

Established Member
You can, believe it or not, buy child-sized disposable face coverings. I did see a kid being carried around in a baby harness (so 18 months old tops) wearing one...

Nothing surprises me anymore, the world has gone mad.

The "let them freeze"... what I do is let him go out without wearing his coat (but take it with us in my arm)...after barely a.minute outside he changes his mind fairly quickly and puts it on...

What you’re saying is logical, rational and grounded in reality… And therefore has no place in the current climate!

LAX54

Established Member
USA OPEN TO UK (and EU) Citizens who are double vaccinated from Early November, will need valid PCR test as well.

nlogax

Established Member
Just came here to report this news but @LAX54 beat me to it. Don't think I'll be taking advantage of this move until sometime into early 2022. With mask policies differing so wildly from state to state it's difficult to even know where I'd want to go and whether my usual haunts would be worthwhile visiting.

Bikeman78

Established Member
If this was the American Airlines Dallas to Colorado flight earlier this week then the two year old in question was removed from the plane by a group of three armed police. This is the world we live in now.
The one I was thinking of was months ago but evidently it's still happening.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Boden is a dangerous individual. Not as bad as Trump obviously but he appears to be deranged, demented and untrustworthy.
Completely agree.

Any president, governor or politician forcing 2 year olds to wear face masks is, in my eyes, a monster.

I too am concerned with the normalisation of mask wearing during childrens’ development and the effect this will have on them.

What next? Will Americans need to put a mask on their bloody dog? It’s gotten out of hand.

greyman42

Established Member
Completely agree.

Any president, governor or politician forcing 2 year olds to wear face masks is, in my eyes, a monster.

I too am concerned with the normalisation of mask wearing during childrens’ development and the effect this will have on them.

What next? Will Americans need to put a mask on their bloody dog? It’s gotten out of hand.
I gather that any business in Florida demanding proof of vaccination faces a $5000 fine.

Cdd89

Established Member
I’ve spent a few days at Disney and Universal which attract a broadly similar cross-US (not just Florida centric) demographic.

Disney requires masks indoors and compliance is nearly 100%.

Universal merely “strongly recommends” masks indoors and voluntary mask wearing is nearly 0%.

While some people will be avoiding one in favour of the other as a result of their respective policies, I don’t think the demographics are that different. I’m sure those really worried about masks will be excluding themselves from theme parks anyway, though that can’t be a large number as both are as busy as normal for this time of year.

I thus conclude that the US is far less extreme than depicted when it comes to masks, most people regardless of state either don’t care or want them gone (as demonstrated through their personal choices), and high levels of compliance while mandated cannot be taken to mean high levels of support (as pro-mask advocates like to imply).

The most extreme elements in fact appear to be virtue-signalling (or anti-everything) politicians, as well as a self-selected group of noisy people on social media…

Bacon_BMW

I’ve spent a few days at Disney and Universal which attract a broadly similar cross-US (not just Florida centric) demographic.

Universal merely “strongly recommends” masks indoors and voluntary mask wearing is nearly 0%.

While some people will be avoiding one in favour of the other as a result of their respective policies, I don’t think the demographics are that different. I’m sure those really worried about masks will be excluding themselves from theme parks anyway, though that can’t be a large number as both are as busy as normal for this time of year.

I thus conclude that the US is far less extreme than depicted when it comes to masks, most people regardless of state either don’t care or want them gone (as demonstrated through their personal choices), and high levels of compliance while mandated cannot be taken to mean high levels of support (as pro-mask advocates like to imply).

The most extreme elements in fact appear to be virtue-signalling (or anti-everything) politicians, as well as a self-selected group of noisy people on social media…
I’ve came to a different conlusion: opinions on masks relies more on your favorite theme park than anything political.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

Exactly what I have observed in multiple states. People obey the rules and the revealed preference of the vast majority is they don't care very much but will obey rules and/or fit in with the majority.

Status
Not open for further replies.