• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Use of Advance Tickets On Non Reservable Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

giggmann

I'm landing an a Ryanair flight at Stansted Airport at 10:55 on a Thursday morning , travelling with just hand luggage,

I need to get to Birmingham New Street as cheaply as possible and I have my eye on the following advance purchase ticket for £15, I've given myself some time at Stansted for delays.

Stansted Airport 13:15
Tottenham Hale 13:48

London Euston 14:43
Birmingham NS 16:08

My question is, rather than hang around at the Airport , can I travel on the 12:00 to Tottenham Hale and kill some time in London Instead ?

I cant see any time specific restrictions on this "feeder service", are there any general rules as to how early you can travel on such connections ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
No hard and fast rules, but as your ticket is valid on the reserved leg and appropriate connections, it's fine, and allowing yourself an extra hour or so in London won't raise any eyebrows anyway.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Interesting. I assume their Advances aren't train-specific then.
There are no advance fares between Stansted Airport and London.

Greater Anglia's other services, for example to Cambridge, are reservable and do offer advance fares.

island

Veteran Member
You can do as you suggest, but bear in mind break of journey is not permitted on advance tickets.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
There are no advance fares between Stansted Airport and London.

Greater Anglia's other services, for example to Cambridge, are reservable and do offer advance fares.

How strange. I thought I had seen them advertised on SX, but it seems like they are actually marketed as "Advance Offer", basically a discount on a walk-up ticket. Not confusing, not at all... <(

Bookd

Whilst break of journey may not be strictly permitted surely between Stanstead and Euston you would need to leave the NR system at some point for an LU connection. If the first leg is not restricted to a particular train how long would you have to take over the connection before it was considered to be a break of journey?

sheff1

Established Member
Whilst break of journey may not be strictly permitted surely between Stanstead and Euston you would need to leave the NR system at some point for an LU connection. If the first leg is not restricted to a particular train how long would you have to take over the connection before it was considered to be a break of journey?

You can walk between one NR station and another if you want. Google tells me it would take 2 hours to walk from Tottenham Hale to Euston.

A Challenge

Established Member
You can walk between one NR station and another if you want. Google tells me it would take 2 hours to walk from Tottenham Hale to Euston.
On a more sensible note, you could always walk from Liverpool Street, or get the tube, or actually could you not as it says Tottenham Hale?

island

Veteran Member
It is somewhat of a philosophical question, as is whether any such unauthorised break of journey is likely to be detected, but we cannot advise members to intentionally break the law.

najaB

Veteran Member
...but we cannot advise members to intentionally break the law.
In this case it would be T&Cs being violated, rather than the law. But that's just a minor nit-pick, the point of your post is 100% valid.

island

Veteran Member
Well, if one intentionally used a ticket with break of journey prohibited and broke one's journey, one would probably be committing a section 5 RRA offence.

But given it's all philosophical anyway, we need not consider it further.

Status
Not open for further replies.