• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Use of locomotives on Industrial railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
Sorry if the title doesn't quite make sense... I've been watching some videos on Youtube of previous years' Foxfield Railway steam galas and noticed that on Foxfield bank, if the weather's good they'll let an Austerity tank run with up to 6 or 7 wagons + a brake van, whereas when the weather is poor they'll reduce that to just 4 + brake van for a single engine. Makes sense as Foxfield bank is steep and you don't want to thrash the engines.
It got me thinking though - what did they do in the days when such sites were operational and business depended on shifting fuel, materials, produce etc around on time. If weather was poor for example, would they just do things the same as normal and try and force the engine to work harder or would they reduce the load/add extra engines?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DerekC

Established Member
The problem will be adhesion - in poor railhead conditions the Austerity will just spin its wheels if the load is too high - so in commercial operation they must have either lightened the load or added another loco. Probably the latter - there are some interesting photos around of multiple locos on steep banks. If you are interested in inclines read about the "Big Hill" on the original route of the Canadian Pacific through the Rockies.

randyrippley

Established Member
You have to ask another question there - what state is that Austerity in?
On the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Austerities climb the hill in all weathers pulling five or six mk1 coaches
Sounds to me that the loco you saw had restrictions

DerekC

Established Member
You have to ask another question there - what state is that Austerity in?
On the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Austerities climb the hill in all weathers pulling five or six mk1 coaches
Sounds to me that the loco you saw had restrictions

The gradient on the Foxfield bank is stated as 1:19 to 1:26 which is very steep for an adhesion worked railway. What's the ruling gradient on the Lakeside & Haverthwaite? I can't find it online but I would be surprised if it's steeper than 1:75.

Status
Not open for further replies.