• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Used 1960-1999 rail tickets knowledge needed please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbsattwood

I have my brothers collection of these old rail tickets including season tickets, rovers and concessional tickets etc. i am looking to find out a fair price to ask for them. There are many halved tickets and clipped whole tickets. Can anyone recommend a forum where I might learn about these tickets please?
many thanks, Barbs

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
I have my brothers collection of these old rail tickets including season tickets, rovers and concessional tickets etc. i am looking to find out a fair price to ask for them. There are many halved tickets and clipped whole tickets. Can anyone recommend a forum where I might learn about these tickets please?
many thanks, Barbs
I don't know of any forums devoted to tickets, but if you're intending to sell them, there are a couple of adverts in the current Railway Magazine that might be useful:

20210317_222352.jpg

Gloster

Established Member
It may prove very difficult, time consuming and costly to be sure that you have a fair price when you sell the tickets on. To my mind there are two options: one is to sell them to a dealer: you may not get the best possible price, but it is the quickest and simplest way to get a bit of money. The other is an organisation called the Transport Ticket Society (it has a web presence). They probably don’t have the time to give detailed advice, but they might be able to recommend a dealer. Alternatively, you might be able to donate to or through them: you won’t get any money, but it is simple. I know that if I had a much-loved collection, I would much rather that it went to people who would appreciate it.

D6130

Established Member
many thanks, Barbs
Hi Barbs. I'm not aware of a forum for historic rail ticket collectors, but the Transport Ticket Society may be able to help. As well as having an encyclopedic knowledge of such things, they organise periodic postal auctions of ticket collections. Their website is www.transport-ticket.org.uk

Last edited:

Barbsattwood

I don't know of any forums devoted to tickets, but if you're intending to sell them, there are a couple of adverts in the current Railway Magazine that might be useful:

View attachment 92598
Thank you, yes I will get a copy!

Hi Barbs. I'm not aware of a forum for historic rail ticket collectors, but the Transport Ticket Society may be able to help. As well as having an encyclopedic knowledge of such things, the organise periodic postal auctions of ticket collections. Their website is www.transport-ticket.org.uk
Thanks for your help. I will look into this.

It may prove very difficult, time consuming and costly to be sure that you have a fair price when you sell the tickets on. To my mind there are two options: one is to sell them to a dealer: you may not get the best possible price, but it is the quickest and simplest way to get a bit of money. The other is an organisation called the Transport Ticket Society (it has a web presence). They probably don’t have the time to give detailed advice, but they might be able to recommend a dealer. Alternatively, you might be able to donate to or through them: you won’t get any money, but it is simple. I know that if I had a much-loved collection, I would much rather that it went to people who would appreciate it.
I want to make an art image with the tickets and don’t want make a blunder and use a ticket that is valuable. My brother was an avid collector until his early death. it is a way to celebrate him!

View attachment 92598
Thank you, I am to buy a copy of the mag.

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
Thank you, yes I will get a copy!

Thanks for your help. I will look into this.

I want to make an art image with the tickets and don’t want make a blunder and use a ticket that is valuable. My brother was an avid collector until his early death. it is a way to celebrate him!

Thank you, I am to buy a copy of the mag.
The two adverts in the current issue were shown in the photo I attached (post #2). It's not very good :'(, but I think that the contact details are just about legible!

steamybrian

Established Member
I am a member of The Transport Ticket Society and am sure their members can help ..look at their website.
www.transport-ticket.org.uk

The price will depend of quality of tickets (unmarked, not creased, in good condition)
Rarity of the stations- (is the station closed or unstaffed, was it a small station with low useage to tickets from it were rare)
Are any of the tickets from prenationalisation companies (GWR, LNER, LMSR, SR) as such tickets were obtainable from stations until into the 1970s.
Are there any other oddities such as misprints, unusual routes, numbered 0000, etc.

Last edited:

steamybrian

Established Member
That sounds like a lovely thing to do. I hope it works out for you!
The tickets may be more valuable than you think so an art image may destroy the value.
If you can give us some idea what they are..?
As you live at Steyning maybe tickets from the Steyning line which closed in 1966 and then immediately we are talking value......

BluePenguin

On Moderation
I agree with the others, find someone who will appreciate your collection and give them a good home. They are a part of history and soon to be antiques.

Some of the YouTube historians may be interested in buying them? I would love to watch a video looking at the old design of tickets and how they are different to today.

Status
Not open for further replies.