1. This is the last week to take part in the survey commissioned by Network Rail in conjunction with Middlesex University on the subject of suicide prevention on the railways - and as it's such an important topic (and a very well constructed survey) we wanted to give this particular survey a bit more visibility. You can find out more and take part in the survey if you wish by taking a look at this thread - deadline is 16th September.

Useful Image Freeware

Discussion in 'Photography Advice & Discussion' started by eezypeazy, 13 Oct 2006.

1. eezypeazy

eezypeazy Member

I’ve had a reasonable digital camera since February 2004. Since December 2004 I’ve been using it to capture reference shots for my BVE projects, and the introduction of the POTW competition on this forum has encouraged me to try my hand at other railway photography. Increasingly, I’ve found myself needing to use some simple image manipulation and enhancement software to improve the look of my pictures.

So, the purpose of this thread is to enable us to share and comment upon image manipulation freeware that we find useful, or have experience of using; or, to ask questions about such freeware. (Please, keep this to freeware – I have to lie down in a darkened room if I ever part with more than a tenner in one transaction!)

So, to start this off….

Irfanview is a neat little program, with many plugins available. It enables “lossless” rotation of jpeg images through 90 degree steps. I tend to use it most for reducing color depth (and hence file size) to produce efficient bitmaps for BVE, and to resize jpegs (many thanks to those who pointed me towards this some time ago!). Has a nifty little red eye reduction tool.

Faststone Screen capture is a neat little program I use for screen captures.

Now, this is the one I need some advice on….

As my photographic skills improve, I’ve become more aware of “noise” in digital images, and went looking for noise reduction freeware. I found Ditigal Auto Enhancer, a neat little freeware program, which seems to do the trick without leaving images looking a bit odd. If anyone else has used this, I’d appreciate some comments on it.

Regards

eezypeazy

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Bill EWS

Bill EWS Member

Hi Eezypeezy,
    I have used 'NeatImage', which is a similar programme. I found it best to let the programme automatically scan the image and make the smoothing from that figure. However, you may find that reducing the figure gives a better result. If too high the image tends to go towards being chrome plated!!! I've an idea the programme is using the Chrome 'Filter', which many graphic programmes have, and fine-tuning the amount of smoothing. It really works, but as I say, I tend to reduce the auto figure by apprx 5-10%.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

BillEWS.

4. Craig

Craig Established Member

5. eezypeazy

eezypeazy Member

Err... isn't Neat Image payware, chaps?

6. Craig

Craig Established Member

The demo is freeware.

7. Dennis

Dennis Established Member

I've tended to use Neat Image in the past for noise removal as it is quick and simple to use if you stick to the auto-profiling. I would also agree with the comments about reducing the severity of the filtering a bit as Neat-image is prone to overdoing it.

The DCE software doesn't impress we much; I found it slow and cumbersome to use and the results on a par with what could be achieved with Neat Image.

The most impressive noise reduction software I've come across is Noise Ninja2, I downloaded the demo version of this a day or two ago (think it was Craig who mentioned it in another thread); this is quick and easy to use and also very effective, the results being a vast improvement over both Neat Image or DCE. Only drawback with the demo version is that it watermarks the images, need to pay a few £'s for the licence to get rid of this but I think it will be money well spent.

8. eezypeazy

eezypeazy Member

My quest for the best in noise reduction freeware continues...

Image Analyzer does a lot more than just analyze an image! Noise reduction and image sharpening seem to be very good (to my eyes, anyway!).

eezypeazy

9. mbonwick

mbonwick Established Member

Sorry for hijacking an old thread! :oops:

I have found paint.NET to be acceptable, bordering on the excellent. It's freeware, available here

10. Tom

Tom Guest

The Gimp is quite good IMHO, it's a very similar program to Adobe Photoshop, and open-source too. :)

11. Techniquest

Techniquest Veteran Member

URL for that then?

I keep meaning to get paint.net, sounds good. I use Irfanview myself, brilliant piece of software! Only ever use it for avatar re-sizings, but for that alone it's handy!

12. David

David Established Member

13. Billr

Billr Member

14. pinkpanther

pinkpanther Member

If you're into geotagging photos (useful if you're uploading to Flickr or one of the other location aware photo services) GeoSetter is well worth knowing about.

It lets you easily set or adjust positional information on one or more photos using an embedded Google Maps window. I can't recommend it enough, really. :)

15. Lower Quadrant

Lower Quadrant Member

A simple request gentlemen.I am a retired driver(ex EWS) and tried to upload clickable images into a thread.They uploaded,but clicking on them opened up my complete photobucket collection.Boring mostly but still a private collection.Now how can I upload the photographs with anonymity so to speak.Hopefull in anticipation..many thanks.

16. Old Timer

Old Timer Established Member

PM on its way Albert

17. HST Power

HST Power Established Member

I too recommend Paint.Net. It's free, and it's good quality. What more can you want?

18. Lower Quadrant

Lower Quadrant Member

19. VEP3417

VEP3417 Member

this is an interesting thred as i used the free vertion of photoshop but it ran out so i was looking for a replacement - my passion is photography so i often need to edit photos

20. Bevan Price

Bevan Price Established Member

Some other free alternatives:

Pixbuilder - fewer facilities that something like Photoshop, but has facilities to correct exposure , image cropping, etc. :

http://www.wnsoft.com/pixbuilder/
    --------------------------------------------

Phierha and Pixia. -- Intended more for those who like to do digital "painting / artwork", but Phierha also has basic image editing facilities.

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/mighty/knight/aboutpixia.html

21. RogerB

RogerB Member

I've used Xnview, Photoscape and Fotor. All free.

22. Jeffreyskils

Jeffreyskils New Member

Id like to get in touch with anyone whos handy with image editing in Gimp/Photoshop/Whatever as I have a request Its to create an avatar for Twitter as part of a little project of mine. I dont want to say more at this point but its nothing illegal/immoral dont worry. Anyones whos interested would you P.M me please? Thanks .

23. Bevan Price

Bevan Price Established Member

All you usually need is to do is reduce the size of the image, and then "save as" "new image" in the required image format - usually .jpg or maybe .gif

Always change the filename at this stage, otherwise you may overwrite the original image.

Most image editing software contains a menu option such as:
    Image - Size - (enter required size) .

Not familiar with twitter, but if it is like a forum, it will probably specify the image size for avatars.