• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Useful website for hikers or outdoor activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutter

This is a storm detection system based on the Isle of Wight but unfortunatly the range does not include scotland.

If you understand technical jargon, you can get a weather report for the IOW every day

Very useful if you plan on a day in the country, as you can see incoming storms from 600 miles out and work out it's heading thanks to the bearing.

Here is the link

http://www.isleofwightweather.co.uk/live_storm_data.htm

hope it works. as I say. Only useful really for those who like the outdoors

Heres another one, which includes MOST of Scotland, seems to be more accurate as well, but without the daily weather reports

http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/weather/light0900.htm

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

Where is the Isle of White? Heard of Isle of Wight, but not IoWhite...

nutter

Stop being technical Tom It's only about 8 miles away. If you want to be technical Hurst Castle is the closest mainland point on Britian to the Isle Of Wight (thanks AA road atlas, if i had an OS map of the area, I'll be even more accurate so sorry ;) <()

Julian G

Established Member
nutter said:
Stop being technical Tom It's only about 8 miles away. If you want to be technical Hurst Castle is the closest mainland point on Britian to the Isle Of Wight (thanks AA road atlas, if i had an OS map of the area, I'll be even more accurate so sorry ;) <()
You can see Isle Of Wight from Hengistbury Head ;)

T

Tom

I've been to Hurst Castle! :D. It isn't on land though, it's actually built on stones put by man into the water. :D

Julian G

Established Member
Tom said:
I've been to Hurst Castle! :D. It isn't on land though, it's actually built on stones put by man into the water. :D
In Geographical Terms, a Spit ;) to prevent the Solent being flooded

Tom B

Established Member
I thought a spit was caused by the action of currents? Will find out...

Tom B

Established Member
Yeah, TC said it was something to do with humans dropping mud into the water :s.

T

Tom

It is how the spit at Hurst Castle is made, it is a piece of land, yes, but there are literally huge amounts of stones there!

Status
Not open for further replies.