• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

User Friendly London Underground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
The Moscow Metro is amazing. Every station looks like an art museum.

Not quite all - a lot of the outlying stations towards the end of the lines along with the modern ones are not as opulent. Though they would most lilkely have put a lot more effort in under 'Uncle Joe', less they end up as part of the stations foundations.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The problem with fully splitting the Northern is that trains from both branches north of Camden do serve both branches south of there- and Camden's layout doesn't make for a good interchange. If there was flat cross platform same-direction interchange at Camden, then fully splitting it into two lines would be easier.

SS4

Established Member
The problem with fully splitting the Northern is that trains from both branches north of Camden do serve both branches south of there- and Camden's layout doesn't make for a good interchange. If there was flat cross platform same-direction interchange at Camden, then fully splitting it into two lines would be easier.

I thought there were plans afoot to completely rebuild Camden Town although it was mired in planning. It's certainly not a nice station to change at though.

LE Greys

Established Member
Not quite all - a lot of the outlying stations towards the end of the lines along with the modern ones are not as opulent. Though they would most lilkely have put a lot more effort in under 'Uncle Joe', less they end up as part of the stations foundations.

I believe parts of it are deep enough to serve as nuclear shelters as well. The Politburo had a nice bunker attached to the nearest station to the Kremlin.

NY Yankee

Mr NY Yankee, I hope you can help me out here, if I got the map from NY right, Grand Central has only 3/4 metro lines going through it, it would seem like one has two routes (green I think it was) so where do the mass amount of Platforms come from? Wikipedia refers to a Harlem Line and a Hudson line, are these kind of like SN and SE at Victoria? With the metro being the tube?

I don't understand your question but I think I have an idea of what you're asking. The 4,5,6,7, and S are NYC subway lines that stop at Grand Central/42nd Street. The Hudson, Harlem, and New Haven lines are commuter railroad lines, operated by Metro-North. They're not part of the NYC subway system (it's like comparing the Jubilee line to the South Eastern Main Line). The Hudson, Harlem, and New Haven lines stop at the main terminal building. The subway stops below the terminal.

Tommy3000

Yeah, that's pretty nice. I prefer a map that gives some sense of the geography of the lines, so passengers can gauge the walking distance between stations.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor

Clip

Established Member
I like that, it manages to show the geography without being too unclear. The use of white and cream for the zones also works well - far warmer than the grey used by TfL.

If you want a really detailed map, this one is fantastic;
http://carto.metro.free.fr/cartes/metro-tram-london/

Thats brilliant and bang up to date too with the Emirates crossing on there. not long till its done either.

That curve on the DLR coming into Canning town from Bank doesnt feel so bad when you are on it but its a hell of a curve

jopsuk

Veteran Member
every time I look at that he's got more detail on the National Rail lines. It's a superb work in progress

NY Yankee

HOP on the London Underground at Jesse Owens station. After one stop change at Carl Lewis. And then ride the Tube all the way to Michael Phelps.
That will get you from central London out to the Olympic Stadium.

If you're in London's west end, get on at Kieren Perkins station, or the nearby Murray Rose or Grant Hackett stations, and stay on the same train all the way to the stadium.

The London Underground has taken on a new look with Transport for London's Olympic Legends Map. Instead of Piccadilly Circus, Baker Street and Knightsbridge, the map has changed the names of 361 stations to celebrate Olympians.

"There were heated debates and a few late changes of heart, but we are happy with the result: dozens of nations represented, all 2012 Olympic sports accounted for, and Ali and Phelps, two of the greatest Olympians of all time, guarding the Stratford gateways to the games," map designers Alex Trickett and David Brooks said in a joint statement.

Phelps, who won a record eight gold medals in swimming at the 2008 Beijing Games and has 14 overall, gets the honour of being the main Olympic stop, which is usually known as Stratford.

The nearby Stratford International station on the Docklands Light Railway is named Cassius Clay, the original moniker of boxing great Muhammad Ali, winner of the light heavyweight gold at the 1960 Rome Olympics.

The new map brings in famous Olympians from a variety of sports, including 2008 men's tennis singles gold medallist Rafael Nadal, gymnastics great Nadia Comaneci, five-time Tour de France champion Miguel Indurain and 1992 Dream Team players Michael Jordan and Larry Bird.

Track stars make up a good part of the map, running from west to east and all around the centre of the city. Cathy Freeman, Herb Elliott, Ron Clarke and Betty Cuthbert are among the all-time greats represented.

Swimmers take up most of the Central Line, with golden girls Dawn Fraser, Shane Gould, Leisel Jones and Stephanie Rice in the northeast, the Aussie men alongside the likes of Pieter van den Hoogenband and Matt Biondi in central London, and divers Greg Louganis and Fu Mingxia in the northwest.

Basketball and tennis players run from north to south, with stops Magic Johnson and Sheryl Swoopes being followed by Roger Federer, The Woodies Mark Woodforde and Todd Woodbridge, and The Williams sisters Serena and Venus.

Ian Thorpe is the new name for the Oxford Circus station at the heart of London's west end. Piccadilly Circus is renamed Mia Hamm after the gold-medal winning football player for the United States.

Baker Street is renamed Daley Thompson for the two-time decathlon gold medallist, while Leicester Square is LeBron James and Knightsbridge is Steve Redgrave.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/travel/news/london-underground-map-gets-a-facelift-fit-for-the-olympics/story-e6frg8ro-1226313138737

Status
Not open for further replies.