Using a gateline correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
I understand there is a bylaw offence for not using a gateline correctly. How does one not use a gateline correctly. I often get off the train at a station using an Advance ticket. I know my ticket will not be accepted by the barrier. So I use my local PTE Concessionary travel pass to tap on the card reader to open the barrier.

So the travel pass bears no validity to the journey I have just made but I use it simply to open the barrier. If I was ever asked to produce a ticket for the journey just made, I have my Advance ticket to present.

Am I doing anything wrong using the gateline in this way?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Quakkerillo

I think this specific byelaw mostly relates to people jumping the gates, tailgating other people as to get through with them, or just forcing the gates open.

gray1404

Established Member
Lets keep this on topic please, can always have a separate thread "stopping short on advances".

But no, I am not am no stopping short. The gateline staff told me that its so they can check you've used the correct train. I know a number of stations that have gatelines that don't accept Advances. So it sounds like I am doing nothing wrong by just using any ticket to open the gate. :)

PeterC

Established Member
Probably doesn't cover the numpties who try and push a baby buggy or two huge suitcases through a standard gate rather than use the wide gate provided.

talldave

Established Member
Lets keep this on topic please, can always have a separate thread "stopping short on advances".

But no, I am not am no stopping short. The gateline staff told me that its so they can check you've used the correct train. I know a number of stations that have gatelines that don't accept Advances. So it sounds like I am doing nothing wrong by just using any ticket to open the gate. :)

How can barrier staff prove what train you got off, you could have drunk coffee and answered emails for an hour on the platform?

matt_world2004

Established Member
I have got on a train at West Drayton using an standard oyster card , used my staff pass to let myself out to meet my friends at Ealing Broadway and hopped back on the train to Paddington to complete my journey . I have a valid ticket for the whole journey.Gods worst railway gets the revenue for the trip so do not see rhe problem.

Last edited:

crehld

Established Member
Fares Advisor
We seem to be talking about Byelaw 9(2) here. For reference:

Where the entrance to or exit from any platform or station is via a manned or an automatic ticket barrier no person shall enter or leave the station, except with permission from an authorised person, without passing through the barrier in the correct manner.

I had always assumed "the correct manner" was with a valid ticket.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Why would the barrier not accept your Advance ticket?

You aren't stopping short, are you? That is not permitted.

To be fair I know for a fact that the barriers at Crewe station will never accept a Northern Only advance ticket - they never have, that's just the way they seem to be programmed. Stopping short doesn't come into it. Nor will they ever accept certain rangers / rovers.

If using a different ticket I know will work the barrier (such as a season ticket or such like) and save me the faff of having to waste 5 minutes pawing at the assistance button before someone over the intercom answers or the hassle of having to traipse up the stairs to the other entrance where there maybe staff in attendance to help, then so long as I hold a valid ticket for they journey I have just undertaken I see no wrong doing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.