Using a Network Railcard on a delayed pre-10am train

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by BasildonBob, 12 Jun 2019.

1. BasildonBob

BasildonBob New Member

This morning I renewed my Network Railcard, which gives a 1/3 discount for weekday off-peak travel after 10:00. I was intending to catch the 10:18 from Pangbourne to Paddington, but noticed that the preceding train, scheduled to depart at 9:52 was running 6 minutes late. The (very pleasant and helpful) GWR ticket office person asked if I was planning to catch the 9:52 and I joked that I might if it got any later and arrived after 10:00. She laughed but said that some of her colleagues took the view that Network Railcards were only valid on trains that were booked to depart after 10:00. The Network Railcard website only says "Network Railcard discounts are not valid on tickets for travel before 10.00hrs, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)." Any thoughts on which is correct?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. 74A

74A Member

Was changed some years ago to any train leaving after 1000. Just to avoid this sort of issue.

Thats why it says as you quoted. Not valid for travel before 1000. Timetable time does not matter. Its the actual time that counts.

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Jun 2019
  4. bb21

bb21 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

5. BasildonBob

BasildonBob New Member

Thank you both

6. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

I stand corrected. I guess the staff must have had the same outdated view I had.

7. Haywain

Haywain Established Member

Sadly, not as unusual as it should be for staff to hold outdated information in their heads.