• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using a Zone 1-6 extension on East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesM

Hello,

This question might be a simple one.

If you buy a ticket (say a standard off peak return) from the edge of the Zone's 1-2 or 1-6 boundary upto Luton Airport Parkway from London, and you travel on a FCC train, are you allowed to use the ticket on East Midlands Trains on the way back.

So for example, travel up from London this evening and get the 22:35 LTN - STP which goes direct and doesn't stop anywhere at all?

Are there ticket restrictions of this type on East Midlands Trains?

Thanks,

James

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EM2

Established Member
In a word, no. According to the National Conditions Of Carriage, you can only use a combination of tickets on a train where the train stops at the changeover point. The only exception is if one of the tickets is a season ticket.

However, I am not a ticketing expert, so I'm sure one of them will be along soon just to conform (or deny :lol:)

Deerfold

Veteran Member
In a word, no. According to the National Conditions Of Carriage, you can only use a combination of tickets on a train where the train stops at the changeover point. The only exception is if one of the tickets is a season ticket.

However, I am not a ticketing expert, so I'm sure one of them will be along soon just to conform (or deny :lol:)

It's not clear what other ticket the OP is using. If it's a travelcard that should be fine.

clagmonster

Established Member
If you have a Travelcard for zones 1-x, and a ticket from boundary zone x to Luton Airport Parkway, then you are allowed to travel on any train from St Pancras to Luton Airport, subject to the tickets restrictions and routeing, regardless of where the train stops, as both tickets are zonal tickets. This is stated in part a of clause 19 of the National Rail Condtions of carriage:
"19. Using a combination of tickets
You may use two or more tickets for one journey as long as together they cover the entire
journey and one of the following applies:
(a) they are both Zonal Tickets (unless special conditions prohibit their use);
You must comply with any restriction shown on the tickets relating to travel in the trains of
a particular Train Company or Train Companies (see Condition 10)."
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/misc/NRCOC.pdf

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Tried the same once with GNER, was refused the sale of a Boundary Zone 6 to Peterborough (I had a One Day Travelcard already), was adament he was that it was not valid and I had to give up and just buy the day return. Never bothered since then with any operator, hardly worth the fight.

Good luck using it, hope you get a TM who knows his stuff!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Tried the same once with GNER, was refused the sale of a Boundary Zone 6 to Peterborough (I had a One Day Travelcard already), was adament he was that it was not valid and I had to give up and just buy the day return. Never bothered since then with any operator, hardly worth the fight.

:roll: Think that the reason for that is that you can only get tickets from Boundary Zone 6 on that line as far as Huntingdon.

Peterborough is just outside the Network area.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ahhh, I was to believe at the time you could get them further than that. Thanks for clearing that up, but I still stand by my comment of hoping the TM on EMT knows his stuff.

clagmonster

Established Member
There are tickets Boundary Zone 6-Peterborough, but they are route FCC only, so not valid on GNER trains, so in this case you would have to buy a day return from Kings Cross.

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating

Good luck using it, hope you get a TM who knows his stuff!
As the person that refused you the ticket obviously does ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.