• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using an off peak ticket on a delayed train scheduled to arrive at peak time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR :D

Let's say I have an off peak ticket that are valid on any trains after 09:30. The train is scheduled to arrive at 09:25 or so. If the train gets delayed until after 09:30, can I get on that train even if there's a chance that the train will catch up and arrive on time at a terminal station?

I've been reading some of info on ticket types, I think I read something that some off peak tickets have same time restriction for all stations across the same line, so would it be possible for me to buy a peak ticket for one station to another then an off peak ticket for rest of the line once the time restriction has expired?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
It depends. Generally, point to point tickets will have a restriction code that refers to the scheduled departure time eg

B1 - By any train except those timed to depart Mondays-Fridays before 09:30.

So in this case the actual departure time is irrelevant. However for some tickets such as London Travelcards the restriction is just "valid from 0930", so in that case you could travel on a delayed train that departed after 0930.

tsr

Established Member
If you ask the guard, they quite possibly could decide to let you board, especially if you explain you had originally intended to wait but the next train may be delayed (if, of course, that's true).

Failing that, any applicable station staff may be able to endorse your ticket or have a brief word with the guard, in any case.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
The short answer is "It depends".

If it got to the point where the first timetabled off-peak service went before the last peak one, the TOC would probably allow off-peak tickets on it from relevant stations for the sake of consistency.

On a relatively frequent route where the late running peak service was just ahead of the first off-peak one, on the other hand, they probably wouldn't.

causton

Established Member
Indeed, for example from Hatfield southbound the 0925 is the last peak train, and the 0928 is the first off-peak train. The amount of times the former appears at the time for the latter would mean that the 0925 might as well be off-peak if this rule applied, so it does not!

Maybe with somewhere with a lower frequency, I would agree with it...

*times may have changed since the timetable update

dzug2

Another situation - say you are at Reading late morning and the next fast service is a heavily delayed HST running several hours late. Would the rule be enforced?

David Goddard

Established Member
It probably is, I haven't been up there that late in the morning (normally make an effort to take the 0934 to get up to London as soon as possible.

I know they do enforce restrictions regardless of delay around the start of the off peak time:

The first Off Peak valid train is 1A76 at 0934, but (say) the 1L32 due 0927 comes in afterwards, it is still a restricted train, and announcements on the station confirm this, even though there is a procession of trains at this time of morning.

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I'd have thought that the late running peak time train, especially at Reading, would likely be busy. So not allowing off-peak ticket holders on makes sense- peak/off peak is supposed to be a form of load management.

island

Veteran Member
The answer is it depends.

Some off-peak restrictions are expressed in terms of trains timed or scheduled to depart/arrive at certain times. Others are expressed in terms of actual departure/arrival time.

TSR :D

Thanks for interesting and informative replies.

From where to where, and is it prefixed with Super and/or suffixed with Day?
I was just wondering if it can be done, I don't have any specific tickets in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.