• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

using contacless redhill to london and back

Status
Not open for further replies.

big all

On Moderation
a few weeks ago i on a saturday about mid day i boarded the tfl 405 bus 1 mile to redhill station with a contactless bank card was going for london bridge and identical return a few hours later
asked at the booking office if there was a choice as i had started with contactless on the bus and would finnish about 5 hours later was there a choice to just use the barriers as part off the same journey by touching in and she said just buy a cheap day return
was this the best advice ??
did i loose any travel benefit by doing so ??
did i pay more than required as such

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greatkingrat

Established Member
The off peak day return costs the same as two Oyster/contactless off-peak singles, so you would have paid the same in total either way.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Assuming you were sold a super off peak return, the ticket office person was correct. A paper ticket should be cheaper in this instance

£1.50 for the bus
£9.50 for the super off peak return to London

The single fare on Oyster / Contactless is £6.10.

big all

On Moderation
thanks people just trying to have an easy life to be honest if it cost a couple off quid more not bothered but saved queuing then that would be fine

now a daft but possibly seemingly lazy because i dont fully understand but would like a quick ish journey but the odd extra 20 mins is not important but reasonable ease is [lazy fat bu66er]
if i say choose monson road to london bridge i have via redhill via merstham or coulson south as well as smitham sorry coulsdon town and purley
i suppose what i am asking is there a querk that makes one journey a better choice finacially another time wise but at a cost or a more average level solution
thank you for your time and effort in advance

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
thanks people just trying to have an easy life to be honest if it cost a couple off quid more not bothered but saved queuing then that would be fine

now a daft but possibly seemingly lazy because i dont fully understand but would like a quick ish journey but the odd extra 20 mins is not important but reasonable ease is [lazy fat bu66er]
if i say choose monson road to london bridge i have via redhill via merstham or coulson south as well as smitham sorry coulsdon town and purley
i suppose what i am asking is there a querk that makes one journey a better choice finacially another time wise but at a cost or a more average level solution
thank you for your time and effort in advance
Redhill will be most expensive, Merstham a little less so, Coulsdon South, Town and Purley are all in zone 6 and will cost the same. With the zone 6 stations you will also save money using contactless for the train as well.

Note that Merstham and south thereof are NOT IN ZONE 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.