• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using Contactless/Oyster PAYG do you have to tap at interchange stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FGW_DID

Established Member
With regards to the oyster, they won’t see much as he only touches in when he enters the underground at Mile End as after that there is no touching out

Takes the tube to Stratford. Gets off at Stratford and walks to another platform. There are no barriers or touching in. It’s all within the station itself. They then board GA or TfL train. So they didn’t enter the station but rather interchanged.

Apologies to the OP slightly on topic but this is a bit of a general question to all.
The bits I’ve bolded in the quotes, I don’t really know much about Oyster and don’t have one but I thought when you touched in, you always had to touch out, even when it’s an interchange (is that what the pink readers are for?) How does the system know how much to charge for the journey, or does the user just get whacked with whatever the daily cap charge is? :?:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I thought when you touched in, you always had to touch out, even when it’s an interchange (is that what the pink readers are for?)
Of course, I'm open to being corrected if I'm wrong, but I *believe* the pink Oyster readers are for passengers making a connection on a journey that has avoided zone 1 on a journey where going through zone 1 would be the most direct route so they don't get charged the higher fare.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Apologies to the OP slightly on topic but this is a bit of a general question to all.
The bits I’ve bolded in the quotes, I don’t really know much about Oyster and don’t have one but I thought when you touched in, you always had to touch out, even when it’s an interchange (is that what the pink readers are for?) How does the system know how much to charge for the journey, or does the user just get whacked with whatever the daily cap charge is? :?:
If you’re using PAYG and touch in but don’t touch out, you basically pay a preset maximum cash fare from the origin. It doesn’t form part of the daily cap.

However, this discussion is about a staff nominee pass held on Oyster, and a bit like a season ticket it wouldn’t matter if he didn’t touch out.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Of course, I'm open to being corrected if I'm wrong, but I *believe* the pink Oyster readers are for passengers making a connection on a journey that has avoided zone 1 on a journey where going through zone 1 would be the most direct route so they don't get charged the higher fare.

Touching a pink reader is always optional, and they mostly exist to prove you took a cheaper route.

FGW_DID

Established Member
If you’re using PAYG and touch in but don’t touch out, you basically pay a preset maximum cash fare from the origin. It doesn’t form part of the daily cap.

However, this discussion is about a staff nominee pass held on Oyster, and a bit like a season ticket it wouldn’t matter if he didn’t touch out.
Ah, I see, of course that makes perfect sense. I had a brain fart and was under the impression that the Oyster and the nominee pass were two separate items. :oops::oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.