• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using etickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuel88

On Moderation
I've just purchased etickets for the first time and to be honest I'm a bit worried about using them. Do gateline staff know about these tickets and am I likely to get hassle using them?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I've just purchased etickets for the first time and to be honest I'm a bit worried about using them. Do gateline staff know about these tickets and am I likely to get hassle using them?
E-tickets have been around for a number of years now. From my personal experience and speaking with some members of gateline staff, at some stations the percentage of passengers who have e-tickets is anything from 50-80%. I can't imagine there will be many people in the entire rail industry who haven't heard of them, let alone seen them.

Unlike m-tickets, true e-tickets do not require any form of activation and can be displayed in any format - whether that be in an app, printed out on paper, or shown in a PDF reader on an electronic device. The important thing is simply that the barcode can be scanned and the journey details checked (in case the staff or barriers don't have a scanner). You can have the ticket on as many devices as you like.

If you print an e-ticket out it is no different to a modern loo-roll paper ticket in my mind. Same sort of size and same sort of format!

A few apps, e.g. FirstGroup's apps (GWR, SWR, Hull Trains and TPE), claim to produce e-tickets but these are not true e-tickets as they cannot be shown across different devices. I would avoid these where possible. Good apps or websites, such as the Trainline derivatives I spoke of here, will offer you true e-tickets wherever available.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A few apps, e.g. FirstGroup's apps (GWR, SWR, Hull Trains and TPE), claim to produce e-tickets but these are not true e-tickets as they cannot be shown across different devices. I would avoid these where possible. Good apps or websites, such as the Trainline derivatives I spoke of here, will offer you true e-tickets wherever available.

GWR's app now does actual e-tickets. Some others, e.g. LNR, do do odd hybrid e-ticket/m-ticket things, where you can convert an e-ticket into an m-ticket.

The purchase process is still mightily cack-handed on a mobile device, though. Near enough all of them seem to direct you to a thinly-skinned version of the web version of the purchase process. Which is pretty rubbish. I can still get a TVM to produce a ticket in a third of the time. So I might now use an e-ticket purchased on the laptop, but if I'm rocking up to the station I'll just use the TVM.

It really needs to become possible to get it down to a couple of taps (even if they insist on the use of a journey planner) and payment by Apple or Google Pay using my fingerprint to verify. Then it really will be superior.

Hayleyfrank19

If I've bought a select e-ticket for a certain time, do the scanners in train station know the time on it? I've accidently selected the wrong return time.
Wondering if you knew can't find any answers

Status
Not open for further replies.