• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using Tesco Clubcard Vouchers to buy Railcards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belperpete

Established Member
Currently you can buy a £30 railcard using £15 worth of clubcard vouchers. However, I note that on the Tesco Clubcard website it says:
We’re planning on changing this Reward Partner to 3 x the value of your Clubcard vouchers by 30 November 2018. If for any reason there is a delay in launching the new 3 x product, this Reward Partner will be temporarily removed.

Presumably this means in future you will only need to spend £10 worth of vouchers for a £30 railcard.

My railcard expires on 24 November. I am torn between waiting until the change happens (with the risk the offer is temporarily removed for an indeterminate time!), or just renewing at the current "exchange rate". Anyone have any insider info that might help my decision?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cuccir

Established Member
The change is definitely planned: Tesco are shifting all offers to x3 your points: previously they had a mix at x2, x3 and x4.

I don't know however about the chance of Railcards going altogether from this offer, either permanently or temporarily. Certianly Tesco have dropped some of the previous x2 deals all together where presumably their partners were not willing to offer x3.

DaveB10780

The change is definitely planned: Tesco are shifting all offers to x3 your points: previously they had a mix at x2, x3 and x4.

I don't know however about the chance of Railcards going altogether from this offer, either permanently or temporarily. Certianly Tesco have dropped some of the previous x2 deals all together where presumably their partners were not willing to offer x3.
I did wonder why loads of items had gone from Clubcard. So in the interests of standardisation and simplicity, since allegedly the customers were confused, we get less to choose from and not such a good deal on some old favourites. Nice one Tesco!

Alfonso

Currently you can buy a £30 railcard using £15 worth of clubcard vouchers. However, I note that on the Tesco Clubcard website it says:
We’re planning on changing this Reward Partner to 3 x the value of your Clubcard vouchers by 30 November 2018. If for any reason there is a delay in launching the new 3 x product, this Reward Partner will be temporarily removed.

Presumably this means in future you will only need to spend £10 worth of vouchers for a £30 railcard.

My railcard expires on 24 November. I am torn between waiting until the change happens (with the risk the offer is temporarily removed for an indeterminate time!), or just renewing at the current "exchange rate". Anyone have any insider info that might help my decision?
Seeing as you can get a nearly clean 3x value on redspottedhanky for the next couple of months, and there are almost always discount codes available for Railcards, I'd pay cash for the Railcard and use you Tesco points for something with a real or nearly real 3x value

IanD

Established Member
Seeing as you can get a nearly clean 3x value on redspottedhanky for the next couple of months, and there are almost always discount codes available for Railcards, I'd pay cash for the Railcard and use you Tesco points for something with a real or nearly real 3x value

Of course, it would be 3x already if Martin Lewis hadn't stuck his nose in and Tesco delayed all their clubcard changes a while back.

I'll be waiting to exchange my vouchers and if the offer disappears will probably not renew until it comes back. There's very little else that is of use to me in the clubcard rewards these days.

Alfonso

Of course, it would be 3x already if Martin Lewis hadn't stuck his nose in and Tesco delayed all their clubcard changes a while back.

I'll be waiting to exchange my vouchers and if the offer disappears will probably not renew until it comes back. There's very little else that is of use to me in the clubcard rewards these days.
I'm not a betting man but if you want a railcard I guess you'll probably want to buy a train ticket or two, in which case a RSH voucher is better value than a railcard one.

IanD

Established Member
I'm not a betting man but if you want a railcard I guess you'll probably want to buy a train ticket or two, in which case a RSH voucher is better value than a railcard one.

My railcard has a good few months to run by which time RSH vouchers won't be available and any that have already been exchanged will have had to be used or expired.

IanD

Established Member
Does the railcard offer extend to a Network Railcard?

Unfortunately not.

The interesting change with the latest implementation is that you can part-pay for the other railcards with clubcard vouchers at £1=£3 . Useful if you don't have the full £10 in vouchers. Not sure if you can the use more than 1 exchanged voucher per railcard.

Last edited:
Unfortunately not.

The interesting change with the latest implementation is that you can part-pay for the other railcards with clubcard vouchers at £1=£3 . Useful if you don't have the full £10 in vouchers. Not sure if you can the use more than 1 exchanged voucher per railcard.

You can only use one voucher per railcard. And you can only buy a single year railcard not a three year one. So if you want a disabled one at £20/year it costs £7 in vouchers as the numbers don’t round exactly. You don’t get any change back.

Mark J

Unfortunately not.

The Network Railcard is somewhat "second rate" compared to others. It never seems to have the same offers (and perks) that holders of other railcards enjoy. This is despite the Network Card costing the same as all others.

andrewkeith5

The Network Railcard is somewhat "second rate" compared to others. It never seems to have the same offers (and perks) that holders of other railcards enjoy. This is despite the Network Card costing the same as all others.

To be fair, it did used to be only £20 until the zone was extended.... which is probably still too much!

IanD

Established Member
Only for the Network Gold Card, not the Network Railcard and I believe the latter was already more than £20 at the time too.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Birmingham is not and never has been in the Network Railcard area.

A Network Railcard cost £20 in 2008
In 2009 it increased to £25
In 2011 it increased to £28
In 2013 it increased to £30

Status
Not open for further replies.