• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using train split with Priv discount

Status
Not open for further replies.

pompeyfan

Established Member
If I wanted to make use of a Priv discount, how would I apply that to train split website? Would I just go into my local ticket office a couple of days in advance and book the details from train split?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
You will need the details of the splits before you go to the ticket office, they are not obliged to look them up for you, but armed with those details the clerk should issue the required tickets without issue. I presume there is a way of making the splitting website pick only 'Walk-up' fares, but having never used one I don't know.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I presume there is a way of making the splitting website pick only 'Walk-up' fares, but having never used one I don't know.
There is an option for selecting 'Flexible' (walk-up) tickets in the results on TrainSplit.com, although since Priv was extended to off-peak tickets I rarely find any saving.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
I wish we could sell them directly to you, but third party vendors aren't permitted to sell PRIV tickets at all. Sorry.

Phil.

Established Member
If I wanted to make use of a Priv discount, how would I apply that to train split website? Would I just go into my local ticket office a couple of days in advance and book the details from train split?

You're getting a 75% discount and you want to pay less? Good heavens.

greatkingrat

Established Member
I wish we could sell them directly to you, but third party vendors aren't permitted to sell PRIV tickets at all. Sorry.

Probably good for you though, if you're only getting 25% of the commission and paying the same costs, you would probably lose money on the sale.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Everyone likes to save a few pennies (or a few quid). do you believe this right should be restricted? After all, even staff don't like paying peak time fares!

RJ

Established Member

Not everyone likes wasting money. For example, I'm travelling from London to Cardiff next week, travelling peak in one direction. The Priv return is £55. By being a bit more creative with the tickets, I've gotten that down to £38.55.

Or should I pay the extra £16.45 just because I have a Priv?

Last edited:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

And why the hell not!

75% of a ridiculously priced full fare is still ridiculously priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.