• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Using Zone Boundary tickets on the tube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

falloutphil

Hi,

I am traveling between Canary Wharf tube and Southend Airport - single journey on a weekday around 17:30. Obvious route is tube to stratford and then the train.

I have a Z1-2 monthly travelcard on Oyster. I also have a Network Railcard.

I know if my journey was entirely by train I would get a "Zone 2 Boundary" to Southend Airport ticket.

My question is, if I get such a zone 2 boundary ticket is it valid *on the tube* for the section of my journey inside zone 3 (North Greenwich to Stratford) or are such tickets only valid when the whole journey takes place on NR?

Is my only option to use my Oyster to get a single tube journey and then a separate train ticket from Stratford.

I know, if for example I was traveling from West Ham, I could get a valid ticket allowing tube transfer (as West Ham is a joint tube/NR station) and get a small saving because of my Network Railcard. It's not much money, but I'm curious to know what the rules are when the journey starts on the tube.

Thanks for any advice,

Phil.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think I've answered this myself.

I can get a ticket from Canada Water (joint NR/tube) - and the stop before Canary Wharf. Now this is nuts - it routes you via New Cross Gate, London Bridge, then onto Stratford via tube to connect to the Southend Airport service. So you pass through Canada Water twice!!!

This is of course just a big loop, which you can ignore and hop straight on the tube (unless anyone else thinks different?).

The ticket is £17.40 std, but only £13.00 with Network Railcard.

...this is exactly the same price as a Network Railcard single from West Ham too.... (even tho this £13.60 std).

Now, a std single from Stratford is £12.10 (so can't use Network Railcard), and the Oyster extension will charge me £1.50, so £13.60 in total).

It's only a saving of 60p, but it's a good example of the rather non-linear pricing if you poke around a bit in London!

I'm still interested if rather than cherrypick a joint Tube/NR station like Canada Water, if it would be possible to buy a zone 2 boundary rail ticket and use directly from Canary Wharf tube - but I'm pretty sure on the evidence, even if it is allowed, the price will be £13.00 anyway, so no saving on the above suggestion.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I know if my journey was entirely by train I would get a "Zone 2 Boundary" to Southend Airport ticket.

There does not appear to be Boundary Zone fares for Southend Airport. You will have to buy from either the last station within Zone 2, or from Boundary Zone 2 to a station further down the line, ie. Prittlewell, if there is no break of journey restriction.

I reckon it is simply an oversight when the station opened, the NXEA pricing manager forgot about these fares so they were not created.

My question is, if I get such a zone 2 boundary ticket is it valid *on the tube* for the section of my journey inside zone 3 (North Greenwich to Stratford) or are such tickets only valid when the whole journey takes place on NR?

No, it is not valid. NR tickets are only valid on LU when a route is interavailable between NR and LU. Jubilee Line over that section is not one of them.

I can get a ticket from Canada Water (joint NR/tube) - and the stop before Canary Wharf. Now this is nuts - it routes you via New Cross Gate, London Bridge, then onto Stratford via tube to connect to the Southend Airport service. So you pass through Canada Water twice!!!

This is of course just a big loop, which you can ignore and hop straight on the tube (unless anyone else thinks different?).

Canada Water - New Cross Gate - London Bridge - (cross-London transfer, see applicable stations here) - Stratford - Southend Airport is a permitted route (amongst many other permutations). It just so happens that it is convenient to use the Jubilee Line between London Bridge and Stratford for that purpose which meant that for your particular itinerary it appears as if you have just gone through a big loop. Of course there is no way for the system to know that as you are permitted to take your cross-London transfer in a variety of ways, including, for example, going from London Bridge to Liverpool Street and then using Greater Anglia from there on.

Fortunately if your ticket originates from Canada Water, once you're in the station, it is unenforceable that you have to travel via central London, especially as Canada Water itself is an interchange station.

The ticket is £17.40 std, but only £13.00 with Network Railcard.

...this is exactly the same price as a Network Railcard single from West Ham too.... (even tho this £13.60 std).

Minimum fare is in play obviously.

Now, a std single from Stratford is £12.10 (so can't use Network Railcard), and the Oyster extension will charge me £1.50, so £13.60 in total).

It's only a saving of 60p, but it's a good example of the rather non-linear pricing if you poke around a bit in London!

I'm still interested if rather than cherrypick a joint Tube/NR station like Canada Water, if it would be possible to buy a zone 2 boundary rail ticket and use directly from Canary Wharf tube - but I'm pretty sure on the evidence, even if it is allowed, the price will be £13.00 anyway, so no saving on the above suggestion.

In this case it worked out cheaper buy buying tickets with additional validity (via central London essentially) due to minimum fares, however it is not always going to be like this.

As mentioned above, a Boundary Zone 2 ticket, if it existed, would not be valid for this journey, imo.

Edit:

If you really want to do this journey, but not using the Canada Water ticket, I believe that a Zone U3* Londn - Southend Airport Anytime Day Single, priced at £13.60 (£13 with Network Railcard), is valid from North Greenwich (where you switch from your monthly travelcard), via the Jubilee Line to Stratford, and then onto Southend Airport.

Zone U23* Londn is the same price. Zone U123* Londn is priced at £18.20 but also £13 with a Network Railcard.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Might not be cheapest, but you also have the option of using Oyster as far as you change onto NR and a paper ticket thereafter.

34D

Established Member
As mentioned above, a Boundary Zone 2 ticket, if it existed, would not be valid for this journey, imo.

I'm uneasy around this. I certainly wouldn't say you are wrong, but I'm surprised there isn't anything clearer around the issue.

OwlMan

Established Member
There is a Zone U23* - Southend Airport SDS which covers Canary Wharf - Stratford - Southend Airport for £13.60 (A zone 3* ticket is also available but is the same price)

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.