• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vacancies Northern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I've just applied for trainee driver at Sheffield.
The HR have sent me receipt of safe arrival and have explained everything already! Ready an extremely positive approach to recruitment! :)
It says a 60 minute journey or less only and I checked door to door is 43 minutes from Derbyshire! Happy man!! :)

302PS

They are brilliant in the early stages and forever and.ever and ever, lovely to speak to, a pleasure each time ;)

Last edited:
It's okay, I'm a patient guy, now I know they at least have it I feel a lot better about it.
I'll wait and see where it goes from here on in! :)
They probably have more applications come flooding in than most jobs in the uk, I don't envy HR for having to go through them all that's for sure.

Andrew32

For your sake I hope HR aren't monitoring this board,as your attitude stinks.

Yes they do monitor this forum as they made reference to something I had posted on this forum earlier this year in a phone conversation, alot of people would give theit right arm to be in the talent pool position, I've been in it for 13 months and am still being positive, better than being told, theres no job atm so clear off.

302PS

Ph pipe down it's a bit of banter, and you "havinalaff" you don't know me or my apparent "attitude "
so wind your neck in

Last edited:

Withnailandi

Northern HR were great with me. Hundreds of people apply for these jobs. You can't give all these people personal treatment by way of phone calls etc. This thread was intended to give people heads up who may have missed the job adverts, not to start an argument. Won't bother in future.

302PS

I wish all the best to anyone that applies, the bourdon tool linked on here is well worth a bash and the material they send you is as good as any ;)

Last edited:

big al

what work does a Sheffield driver do? ie links, shifts etc??
Is Sunday part of their working week or is it optional?

driver9000

Established Member
what work does a Sheffield driver do? ie links, shifts etc??
Is Sunday part of their working week or is it optional?

This is the information I have on the route/traction card for Sheffield Drivers (copied from the old Northern Railways forum and unsure if anything has changed):

Sheffield to Leeds via Castleford/Altofts
Sheffield to Leeds via Moorthorpe
Sheffield to Doncaster
Sheffield to Lincoln
Sheffield to Nottingham
Sheffield to York via Pontefract Baghill
Doncaster to Adwick
Doncaster to Scunthorpe
Doncaster to Hull via Goole
Wakefield Kirkgate to Wakefield Westgate

Traction: 142,144,150,153,156,158

Sheffield is a former ATN depot so Sunday is part of the working week.

Bradders1984

Do Northern accept applications from people who are willing to relocate as I'm currently living in Essex?

jameshammond

From the northern website:

'Due to the Safety Critical nature of the Trainee Train Driver role, candidates must live within 60 minutes of the depot at the time of applying. We cannot therefore consider your application if relocation is required.'

Bradders1984

From the northern website:

'Due to the Safety Critical nature of the Trainee Train Driver role, candidates must live within 60 minutes of the depot at the time of applying. We cannot therefore consider your application if relocation is required.'

Thanks for the heads up.

johnsonr380

Good luck to everyone applying. I'm currently waiting in the pool for trainee driver. It has been a few months since passing but I'm just enjoying my time at my current job and feeling pretty chilled before the hard work begins.

banku

Do they consider the people who are willing to relocate???:idea::p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
OooooPs , Just got the answer...!!!

Sunday_mornin

So just had a look on the northern website and the closing date is ... Tomorrow! Wow, the application window lasted all of 6 days.
They must have had some serious interest. :)

6 days is actually a long time by Northern standards, when I applied last year it was live for 36 hours.

JCLeeds

Anyone know how strict the 60 minute commute rule is? Googlemaps thinks mine is 1 hr 4m

You would hope and wish that for the sake of those 4 minutes you would be given the chance ... saying that im worried about my 40 minute commute from Derbyshire as im sure there are people that are within 5 mins that have applied.:(

8J

Just to let you know, Conductor jobs at Carlisle have gone up today... No closing date so it will be when a sufficient number arrive! Get writing folks! :D

Good luck all

Beveridges

Established Member
You wouldn't even want the job unless you lived within less than 30 minutes away anyway. Railway shifts are really tough with antisocial hours and intense work. Some of the shifts may be very long as well.

To add an hour or more at each end of the shift for commuting would be pushing it too far.

At peak hour times one hours commuting can easily become two or more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.