• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vaccine Passports/Permanent restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kez19

Established Member
Some more sanity creeping in from DT

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...o-longer-expected-summer-government-advisers/

Oh then goes on to say

How many people across this forum have been saying this for over 12 months so with natural suppression massively boosted by the vaccine should allow restrictions to be relaxed quicker. I though am prepared to accept that we may need some limited restrictions going into the Autumn, I know the counter argument is if we just tick to the roadmap we won't need them again, to allow some quicker return normality. That could be seen as selfish but given the evidence that respiratory illnesses spike up in Autumn then we could follow his roadmap only to find ourselves disappointed or we could at least enjoy our lives why prevalence is low and the weather is nice.

Aaah our same scientists have only just discovered this about sunlight? Where have they been since the dawn of time? I think its time to draw a line or better yet can we just fire them all out of a cannon? It appears more to me they are blantly clueless or its been purporsely done, however you would expect them to promote sunlight/exercising etc than being couped up in the home? Still though its all about science, but lets see where the money trail goes too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 33

Established Member
Well by the October/November period, near enough all adults would have received both doses of the vaccine anyway. Hospital numbers and deaths will be absolutely miniscule. Even if a huge surge in cases flares up, this won't lead to a huge surge in hospital admissions and deaths again. Those bad ol' days will be lone gone thank goodness. So there won't be any need to bring back any of these ridiculous restrictions again, when Coronavirus will be just like the flu. And in all these years before Coronavirus, there has never been any restrictions because of flu! We've had over a year of this restrictions nonsense to put up with it as it is. Soon they should all be scrapped, and good riddance to them, and high time to move on for the better.

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member
Well by the October/November period, near enough all adults would have received both doses of the vaccine anyway. Hospital numbers and deaths will be absolutely miniscule. Even if a huge surge in cases flares up, this won't lead to a huge surge in hospital admissions and deaths again. Those bad ol' days will be lone gone thank goodness. So there won't be any need to bring back any of these ridiculous restrictions again, when Coronavirus will be just like the flu. And in all these years before Coronavirus, there has never been any restrictions because of flu! We've had over a year of this restrictions nonsense to put up with it as it is. Soon they should all be scrapped, and good riddance to them, and high time to move on for the better.

Yes 18 months is long enough for restrictions. There would have to be a seriously good reason for any kind of restrictions through next winter. We’re at the point where “business as usual” properly needs to resume now, and this constant threat of lockdowns and restrictions needs to be ended once and for all.

Somehow I’m not sure we’ve heard the last of it though!

Mintona

Established Member
Apparently there’s a new variant in India that the scientist lot are worried about, so there’s your excuse for further restrictions later in the year sorted.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Some more sanity creeping in from DT

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...o-longer-expected-summer-government-advisers/

Oh then goes on to say

How many people across this forum have been saying this for over 12 months so with natural suppression massively boosted by the vaccine should allow restrictions to be relaxed quicker. I though am prepared to accept that we may need some limited restrictions going into the Autumn, I know the counter argument is if we just tick to the roadmap we won't need them again, to allow some quicker return normality. That could be seen as selfish but given the evidence that respiratory illnesses spike up in Autumn then we could follow his roadmap only to find ourselves disappointed or we could at least enjoy our lives why prevalence is low and the weather is nice.

Indeed. The idea that the longer roadmap will some how make it less likely that we will go back into restrictions is B.S. It will have no bearing on whether restrictions are reimposed or not. It may well end up squandering a large part of the year when we could be regaining some degree of normality.

Yew

Established Member
Good points.

Plus when things are opened up again, people will want to work and earn money and the idea of losing potential earnings is exactly attractive right now

I know this is the mirror but I just had to share how ludicrous this is

It states that vaccine passports would only be short term until the U.K. reaches herd immunity, problem is we have achieved that as of tomorrow according to the telegraph, so which is it?!?
I thought we had herd immunity today?

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Oh im not so sure they will now deploy masks and social distancing whenever there is flu outbreak on at least a local level with there new found ways of oppressing peoples daily lives.

LAX54

Established Member
Aaah our same scientists have only just discovered this about sunlight? Where have they been since the dawn of time? I think its time to draw a line or better yet can we just fire them all out of a cannon? It appears more to me they are blantly clueless or its been purporsely done, however you would expect them to promote sunlight/exercising etc than being couped up in the home? Still though its all about science, but lets see where the money trail goes too.
May I ask.. What is this strange thing you speak of....Sunlight ? Is this a new phenomenon ? should we be wary, scared of this ?

Bantamzen

Established Member
It's 15:20 now, they made the prediction before the clocks went forward.
"We are sorry to announce that the 15:20 to Herd Immunity has been delayed due to SAGE experts on the line. We are currently entice them away with a new covid variant, and as soon as they have been herded up we will be under way"....

Class 33

Established Member
Oh im not so sure they will now deploy masks and social distancing whenever there is flu outbreak on at least a local level with there new found ways of oppressing peoples daily lives.

Well in that case, that's going to bugger up a load of businesses again then, who would have only just got back to normal for a few months or so(that's if they haven't gone under already, which many of them have). And causing mental health problems for many again with those ridiculous restrictions.

From my observations, many many people are definitely swaying away from social distancing now when passing people in the street. Still some people about who when they notice someone approaching them and they're about 200 metres, they move out into the road. But for many people, they don't bother now. It's absolutely pointless. This notion that if we get within 2 metres of anyone, we're like a ticking timebomb is absolutely bonkers. And so is face mask wearing.

DustyBin

Established Member
Well in that case, that's going to bugger up a load of businesses again then, who would have only just got back to normal for a few months or so(that's if they haven't gone under already, which many of them have). And causing mental health problems for many again with those ridiculous restrictions.

From my observations, many many people are definitely swaying away from social distancing now when passing people in the street. Still some people about who when they notice someone approaching them and they're about 200 metres, they move out into the road. But for many people, they don't bother now. It's absolutely pointless. This notion that if we get within 2 metres of anyone, we're like a ticking timebomb is absolutely bonkers. And so is face mask wearing.

There's a hilarious suggestion by some 'expert' in the Telegraph this morning regarding outdoor running. Apparently, should you be confronted by a runner coming from the opposite direction (the horror!) you should shout "I'm going to the right!" so you don't pass too closely. "Good for you!" would be my response....

NorthKent1989

Established Member

We do, seems that the vaccines are doing their job, so hence why the case of vaccine passports is flimsy, by the time we get to November the case for such measures will be based purely on control and not about the virus

Domh245

Established Member

According to that UCL paper that had assumptions as wildly optimistic as the SPI-M assumptions were pessimistic. October strikes me as a little too late by comparison as we should have long since finished the vaccine rollout - the only way I can think of them getting to this is holding fast on the 12 week dose interval and then still allowing several weeks for immunity to fully build, but realistically that would occur a couple of weeks after the first jabs are done, as that's where the bulk of any immune response comes from.

Ediswan

Established Member
It looks like Apple and Google are both blocking the latest attempt at scope creep with the NHS app.
NHS Covid-19 app update blocked for breaking Apple and Google's rules

An update to England and Wales's contact tracing app has been blocked for breaking the terms of an agreement made with Apple and Google.
The plan had been to ask users to upload logs of venue check-ins - carried out via poster barcode scans - if they tested positive for the virus. This could be used to warn others.
The update had been timed to coincide with the relaxation of lockdown rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bantamzen

Established Member

brad465

Established Member
Oops, naughty, naughty NHS!! I'm glad they have picked up on this, the more that data becomes centralised the greater the risk for it's misuse & value on the black market. Perhaps this will also prove to be another nail in the coffin of the vaccine passport app, one can only hope.
Yes I never thought I'd be siding with tech giants.

As we know the easing of restrictions is meant to be possible because of the vaccine rollout success, it's not "meant" to come with caveats like increased testing or additional app features, such that their introduction strengthens the argument these additional features are control aspects.

cuccir

Established Member
Re: the modelling. The problem is the reporting, not (the vast majority) of models themselves. If you look at the papers that models are reported in, you get a list of what's known, what's presumed, and what isn't. Peer reviewed research will then tell you the 'sensitivity effect' of a few key assumptions ie the range your model predicts if you shift the values for certain figures in reasonable ways.

For both issues like sunlight and seasonality, it's fine to run a model presuming no or minimal effect - until the exact effect is known it is usually better to be more cautious than more optimistic.

The issue is then both university press departments and newspapers reporting only headline findings, without any of this context to help people interpret the models.

kez19

Established Member
Oops, naughty, naughty NHS!! I'm glad they have picked up on this, the more that data becomes centralised the greater the risk for it's misuse & value on the black market. Perhaps this will also prove to be another nail in the coffin of the vaccine passport app, one can only hope.

Same here, could it be the tech giants don’t want the heat reflected on them? I know this is focused on the NHS app but I can only wonder in terms of Scotland’s and Ireland’s apps too? Oh wait sorry I forgot we lag behind in Scotland with tech but I’m sure Sturgeon will open a back door.

Aren’t these apps run by Amazon anyway or held on an Amazon cloud (if that’s a better way to say it?)

Ediswan

Established Member
Same here, could it be the tech giants don’t want the heat reflected on them? I know this is focused on the NHS app but I can only wonder in terms of Scotland’s and Ireland’s apps too? Oh wait sorry I forgot we lag behind in Scotland with tech but I’m sure Sturgeon will open a back door.

(Edited as I forgot the proximity detection.)

She already did by launching a dedicated app for venues, which does not require the Apple/Android built in location tracking and proximity detection.

Last edited:

kez19

Established Member
She already did by launching a dedicated app for venues, which does not require the Apple/Android built in location tracking.

Just read it a check in app, so 2 apps to run/use in Scotland why not just one or merge into an app?

So in general if I was to use apps, I would have to have at least 3/4 on the phone? Just looked at check in app what a waste of time, make sure to check in/out of venue etc

Scotland: Protect Scotland and “check in”

England (though not registered) NHS Covid app

Again why is nothing universal let alone a specific one for all of the UK if people wished to use that instead? It’s not encouraging me to download either it’s more of a pain in the neck and possibly will either drain battery quick or use up space (eventually)

Edit: awaits of announcement of Vax Passport Scotland next..

As I say this doesn’t help me in anyway just seems more misery to put on the public to abide by rules.

Last edited:

nlogax

Established Member
Just read it a check in app, so 2 apps to run/use in Scotland why not just one or merge into an app?

So in general if I was to use apps, I would have to have at least 3/4 on the phone? Just looked at check in app what a waste of time, make sure to check in/out of venue etc

Scotland: Protect Scotland and “check in”

England (though not registered) NHS Covid app

I've been toting both NHS England and NHS Scotland apps for the best part of seven months and it's a pain in the posterior to remember which one has specific functionality. The idea of having even more apps per country is a bit daft to say the least. Devolved NHS organisations with no overriding centralised IT or digital function are a real negative in situations like these.

Ediswan

Established Member
IF I recall correctly. Technically possible, but not contractually.

NHS etc. tried to get Bluetooth proximity working using the software interfaces available to all apps. They failed. The next step was to seek special permission from Apple and Android to get access to the lower level Bluetooth interfaces, which do work. Part of the deal was that the app must not pass any location information back to a central database. Hence, if you do want to collect that location information, you need a separate app.

This is covered in excruciating detail on technology web sites, Google should work.

kez19

Established Member
I've been toting both NHS England and NHS Scotland apps for the best part of seven months and it's a pain in the posterior to remember which one has specific functionality. The idea of having even more apps per country is a bit daft to say the least. Devolved NHS organisations with no overriding centralised IT or digital function are a real negative in situations like these.

That for me says it all really, so why can we not just be universal saves all the bother? Who is this meant to benefit is it the public or those that do these apps?

IF I recall correctly. Technically possible, but not contractually.

NHS etc. tried to get Bluetooth proximity working using the software interfaces available to all apps. They failed. The next step was to seek special permission from Apple and Android to get access to the lower level Bluetooth interfaces, which do work. Part of the deal was that the app must not pass any location information back to a central database. Hence, if you do want to collect that location information, you need a separate app.

This is covered in excruciating detail on technology web sites, Google should work.

The point for me is if I am visiting England for a week for leisure (future), I’m expected to use the NHS app but yet I can’t register as well I’m in Scotland.

However I’m in Scotland and don’t use the Protect Scotland app but I’m guessing that Scot Gov wants us to use the check in app (at least), but even that I won’t bother with either. I may as well just use my camera app/code scanner to log in/out of places than use apps if that’s the case (include this for England too).

As I say I read there was talk of a UK universal app but nothings happened but it isn’t filling me with confidence regardless of using apps, I’ll happily use Google and Apple maps as such but this I won’t bother with

Last edited:

takno

Established Member
Aren’t these apps run by Amazon anyway or held on an Amazon cloud (if that’s a better way to say it?)
Amazon run some stupid proportion of the world's web servers. I've used them for all the servers for both my current and previous company for example. They theoretically have the ability to access a lot of information, but if it was ever found that they were accessing the data then they would basically lose billions of dollars in business overnight. In practice they're unlikely to be accessing it, and their massive use of automation means they are probably exposing it to fewer people than would be the case if I had my own servers in a data centre down the road.

Most importantly, they can only even theoretically access the data if the NHS saves it on their servers. If the NHS keep it on the phone where it belongs, they will never see it at all.

greyman42

Established Member
May I ask.. What is this strange thing you speak of....Sunlight ? Is this a new phenomenon ? should we be wary, scared of this ?
I was lead to believe it caused skin cancer so come the summer perhaps we should all walk around with umbrellas opened as well as masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.