• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vaccine Progress, Approval, and Deployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ham

Established Member
I've had a bit of a worrying development since I had my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine two weeks ago. Around 48 hours after having the jab, I started developing a niggling pain just under my left ribs and left shoulder blade. I didn't think much of it at the time, as I thought it may just be some minor side-effects from having the vaccine. As the week progressed and I got to last weekend, the pain under the ribs had stopped, but the pain under the left shoulder blade had worsened. It got so bad that, by Monday, I had to be sent home early from work as I could no longer bear any weight in my left arm. By Wednesday, I was having quite a few spikes of pain under my left ribs again, leaving me little choice but to contact NHS 111. After describing my symptoms, they referred me to my nearest A&E hospital, (Bedford South Wing). After several hours of tests and an X-ray, they have diagnosed me with a potential blood clot, which I am now awaiting a CT scan to confirm for definite while taking blood-thinning tablets. As of now, my condition has returned to about where I was a week ago, so it's subsided a little but still fairly uncomfortable. I'm hoping desperately that, if I do have a blood clot, the blood-thinning tablets help to clear it.

Now of course, for the fact I had the Pfizer vaccine rather than the AstraZenica, I can't directly blame the vaccine for what has happened. There is a reasonable chance that I was unlucky enough to have potentially developed a blood clot that had nothing to do with the vaccine. However, for the fact any symptoms I've had over the last two weeks started 48 hours after having the vaccine, I can't shake the thought that it may have contributed to this (I'm going to guess that any vaccine has a very small chance of causing a blood clot, but the AZ vaccine has a slightly higher chance again due to the design of the vaccine itself). As such, despite how important it is to have both doses of the vaccine, it's making me feel rather concerned about the idea of having my second dose, in case I end up going through all this again...

Likewise I'm sorry to hear that you've had this issue and hope that you continue to improve.

Sorry to hear of your trouble, I hope it continues to calm down.

My Mother had blood clots in her chest a few weeks after her first jab and found no information to help her make a very difficult decision about her second jab.

The medical world were dismissive yes men and it worried her sick for weeks.

Meanwhile the world was shouting about the dangers of the jab being anti fax propaganda

She did eventually have the second jab and is fine but she is in her 70,s ans has immune system issues so in the end the weight of threat just tipped in favour of the jabs.

I’d love to meet the internet mouths who say it’s all such a simple decision, maybe put them in front of people like you and my Mum.

People need to try walking in others shoes.

Good luck

A fair and balanced comment.

I would however say that there's a big difference between saying to the general population that it's the best thing to have your vaccine and what to say to someone who has appeared (and I use that word as there's no certainty either way, not because I'm doubting the genuine concerns that having the second dose) to have a link between the vaccine and blood clots.

What I would say, is that given there appeared to have been a link with the first dose I would like to think that the NHS would have measures in place to ensure monitoring after the second dose, or at least when the diagnosis was made clear guidance as to what to symptoms to look out for were given.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Just had the needle manics loose on my for round two.

At the hospital where they are doing the vaccinations, according to the building map in the corridor the bit they are using is what is usually the VD clinic.

Right…. So…. They are giving out doses in the VD clinic, then…? That’s a new twist on clap for carers…

Red Onion

Sorry to hear of your trouble, I hope it continues to calm down.

My Mother had blood clots in her chest a few weeks after her first jab and found no information to help her make a very difficult decision about her second jab.

The medical world were dismissive yes men and it worried her sick for weeks.

Meanwhile the world was shouting about the dangers of the jab being anti fax propaganda

She did eventually have the second jab and is fine but she is in her 70,s ans has immune system issues so in the end the weight of threat just tipped in favour of the jabs.

I’d love to meet the internet mouths who say it’s all such a simple decision, maybe put them in front of people like you and my Mum.

People need to try walking in others shoes.

Good luck

I‘m nearly four months after my first AZ dose and am still suffering ongoing side effects (I was taken by ambulance for my fourth A&E visit two weeks ago!) of various sorts including severe headaches which painkillers don’t even touch, rapid heart rate, abdominal issues, pins and needles, the list goes on. Thankfully they have settled a bit now but it’s been enough to stop me taking a second dose. We were assured that these vaccines were “perfectly safe” and yet there are several stories starting to emerge of people with very similar stories or worse, including paralysis, blindness, neurological issues and so on.

The one thing I have found in common with many of these people is how dismissive the medical profession has been. Before my first dose I was perfectly healthy, never seeing a doctor for a decade. Since all this kicked off, I’ve been continually fobbed off by my GP practice, being told that it’s all stress and that I’m essentially making it up. Told that there’s absolutely no way the vaccine has caused any of these symptoms. I ticked most of the boxes for suspected blood clotting and when I spoke to one of the clinicians at my local practice I was told, in no uncertain terms, that there was no link between the AZ vaccine and blood clots on the brain so they would not refer me for further invest unless I became severely unwell and required hospitalisation anyway. A couple of days later I had to call the out of hours GP from another practice who seemed a bit more clued up and immediately sent me to hospital who were pretty good. Thankfully blood tests and CT scan were clear but it was a true fight to get taken seriously. The gaslighting by the medical profession is inexcusable.

I really do share your mum’s fears and I hope she is on the way to recovery. These concerns are in no way anti-vax but when we raise them, we are treated as if we are crazed anti-vax conspiracy nuts. I’m just praying that one day they are taken seriously. We need a balanced debate on the post vaccine effects but sadly I don’t see it happening any time soon.

35B

Established Member
I‘m nearly four months after my first AZ dose and am still suffering ongoing side effects (I was taken by ambulance for my fourth A&E visit two weeks ago!) of various sorts including severe headaches which painkillers don’t even touch, rapid heart rate, abdominal issues, pins and needles, the list goes on. Thankfully they have settled a bit now but it’s been enough to stop me taking a second dose. We were assured that these vaccines were “perfectly safe” and yet there are several stories starting to emerge of people with very similar stories or worse, including paralysis, blindness, neurological issues and so on.

The one thing I have found in common with many of these people is how dismissive the medical profession has been. Before my first dose I was perfectly healthy, never seeing a doctor for a decade. Since all this kicked off, I’ve been continually fobbed off by my GP practice, being told that it’s all stress and that I’m essentially making it up. Told that there’s absolutely no way the vaccine has caused any of these symptoms. I ticked most of the boxes for suspected blood clotting and when I spoke to one of the clinicians at my local practice I was told, in no uncertain terms, that there was no link between the AZ vaccine and blood clots on the brain so they would not refer me for further invest unless I became severely unwell and required hospitalisation anyway. A couple of days later I had to call the out of hours GP from another practice who seemed a bit more clued up and immediately sent me to hospital who were pretty good. Thankfully blood tests and CT scan were clear but it was a true fight to get taken seriously. The gaslighting by the medical profession is inexcusable.

I really do share your mum’s fears and I hope she is on the way to recovery. These concerns are in no way anti-vax but when we raise them, we are treated as if we are crazed anti-vax conspiracy nuts. I’m just praying that one day they are taken seriously. We need a balanced debate on the post vaccine effects but sadly I don’t see it happening any time soon.
Reported symptoms need to be taken seriously, but doctors can only go with the information they have. However, and it will be no comfort to those like you who are suffering ongoing symptoms, the risk management has to be based on odds. And the reality is that these symptoms are very rare, and much less dangerous to the population than the disease the vaccines are designed to prevent.

I hope you manage a good recovery.

VauxhallandI

Established Member

Frightening story, hope you continue to settle.

The medical profession I’m afraid are nodding donkeys on the vaccine and the Covid set up has helped them not step up on other factors

I know someone who had to fight for appointments for their young daughter who was eventually found out to have a slipped disc in her upper neck (the very dangerous area). It took four weeks, anything could have happened in that time.

Far from angels believe you me

CrispyUK

Vasovagal syncope is apparently relatively common - and entirely harmless, save for the consequences of the faint.
I experienced pre-syncope shortly after my first Pfizer jab on Thursday evening. Cold, clammy sweat and my hearing went for a few seconds. Same response as I had following some blood tests the other week so wasn’t particularly concerned, but they noticed I had gone a bit pale so had me remove my mask, drink some water and asked me to wait a few extra minutes to make sure I was OK to drive myself home.

Very efficient setup at Stoneleigh mass vaccination centre, walked straight through all the sections set up for queuing, from getting out my car to being jabbed was 5 minutes. They write your 15 minute departure time on a wipe-clean card and direct you to the waiting area, once your time is up leave it on the seat and go.

Bit of a sore arm the next day, no other side effects.

Wychwood93

Just had the needle manics loose on my for round two.

At the hospital where they are doing the vaccinations, according to the building map in the corridor the bit they are using is what is usually the VD clinic.

Right…. So…. They are giving out doses in the VD clinic, then…? That’s a new twist on clap for carers…
Another case for a 'like' button. Is humour allowed?

Domh245

Established Member
Seems like a drop in the vaccine booking age restriction is imminent once more (seen suggested down to 23), I was able to click through to select a site when I tried just now (24)

Simon11

Established Member
Seems like a drop in the vaccine booking age restriction is imminent once more (seen suggested down to 23), I was able to click through to select a site when I tried just now (24)
Boris mentioned at 6pm 23 and 24 year olds can get an appointment from tomorrow.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
They need to stop fannying around and offer the Astra Zenecker to those under 40's who want it IMO.

DelayRepay

Established Member
^^^^ They also need to make it easier to re-book if you currently have a 12 week second dose appointment. On the national booking site, you have to cancel your existing booking first. I know quite a few people who are nervous about cancelling their existing slot without being able to see whether a better one is available.

Bantamzen

Established Member
^^^^ They also need to make it easier to re-book if you currently have a 12 week second dose appointment. On the national booking site, you have to cancel your existing booking first. I know quite a few people who are nervous about cancelling their existing slot without being able to see whether a better one is available.
Indeed, there should be an option to reschedule appointment as opposed to cancel then rebook.

Snow1964

Established Member
Indeed, there should be an option to reschedule appointment as opposed to cancel then rebook.
Or at least to be able to view alternative times and locations before cancelling.

We kept our original second appointments for that reason, they were 11 days away when rules were changed, (and as earliest slots were 6 days away when we booked first dose), seemed risky to try and cancel and take a punt on new slots

Boris mentioned at 6pm 23 and 24 year olds can get an appointment from tomorrow.

Now bookable, 23 and over, or anyone turning 23 by 1st July

DelayRepay

Established Member
We kept our original second appointments for that reason, they were 11 days away when rules were changed, (and as earliest slots were 6 days away when we booked first dose), seemed risky to try and cancel and take a punt on new slots

My original second appointment was 12 weeks after my first. I needed to re-book because I am going away that weekend now.

I was pleasantly surprised when the system allowed me to book an 8 week appointment (at the time the 8 week gap was officially for over 50s, and I am in my 40s). As an extra bonus the new appointment is much closer to my home, too.

But I know lots of people who've kept their 12 week appointment due to fear of not getting an earlier slot.

If I'd kept the original slot, I would not be fully protected on 19 July. With the new slot, I will be. So we do need to make sure everyone who can brings their appointment forward so that the data looks good when they make the final decision about removal of restrictions.

jon0844

Veteran Member

Most sites now have walk ins with no appointments. I am not sure if they cancel your booking automatically when you give your NHS number and show your card, but I'd say it is worth checking the times at local centres and just going. As long as it is has been a minimum of 8 weeks, you'll be done there and then (assuming they have the right vaccine on the day, but I'm sure they'll tell you when to come back - most likely the next day).

I am surprised the Government is not actively telling people to do this, as the test centres myself and my wife went to had almost nobody there for the second jabs - and both of us were jabbed in about five minutes. It then took 15 minutes before I was able to drive home!!

We'd be able to reach the intended target much quicker if people knew they didn't have to wait.

Again; just go and try and get the second jab without changing your appointment. If you get done and are concerned the existing appointment won't be cancelled, go online after to do it.

kristiang85

Established Member
Most sites now have walk ins with no appointments. I am not sure if they cancel your booking automatically when you give your NHS number and show your card, but I'd say it is worth checking the times at local centres and just going. As long as it is has been a minimum of 8 weeks, you'll be done there and then (assuming they have the right vaccine on the day, but I'm sure they'll tell you when to come back - most likely the next day).

I am surprised the Government is not actively telling people to do this, as the test centres myself and my wife went to had almost nobody there for the second jabs - and both of us were jabbed in about five minutes. It then took 15 minutes before I was able to drive home!!

We'd be able to reach the intended target much quicker if people knew they didn't have to wait.

Again; just go and try and get the second jab without changing your appointment. If you get done and are concerned the existing appointment won't be cancelled, go online after to do it.

Interesting. This means I can get done early July then.

DelayRepay

Established Member

You can't do this through the national NHS England booking system. You cannot see what alternative appointments are available if you already have one booked. It may be different for those who booked their appointment directly with the GP.

I agree about using walk in slots - around here they are actively encouraging people who had an AZ vaccine more than eight weeks ago to just turn up (but be prepared to queue). I suspect they are trying to get rid of as much AZ as possible so they can switch more centres over to Pfizer to get on with the younger people.

jon0844

Veteran Member
You can't do this through the national NHS England booking system. You cannot see what alternative appointments are available if you already have one booked. It may be different for those who booked their appointment directly with the GP.

I agree about using walk in slots - around here they are actively encouraging people who had an AZ vaccine more than eight weeks ago to just turn up (but be prepared to queue). I suspect they are trying to get rid of as much AZ as possible so they can switch more centres over to Pfizer to get on with the younger people.

The NHS booking was a mess. I went to book just moments after the Government announced the new age group, and by the time I got to the end to submit it said the time was taken (surely they could learn from ticketing sites and hold a reservation for 5 or 10 minutes?). I had the same problem the second time I tried, so I had to play safe by booking a slot a few days later.

As such, I'd certainly not risk rebooking and say to just go and try to get a jab there and then. A lot of people I know who have done it have repeated our experience, in that the centres are near empty for a lot of the day (so definitely no long queues). Whether that's because younger people aren't booking, or we're now at a point where a lot of people left are simply refusing to have it, I don't know - but it seems that 8 weeks gap is now what the Government is seeking nationally - yet they're not doing a very effective job of telling people that.

Snow1964

Established Member

when we had our second jab, checkin were giving people yellow cards with A (AZ for second jabs) or blue cards with P (Pfizer for first jabs) and split into 2 queues, so seem to be issuing 2 types of vaccines simultaneously. But maybe some smaller sites don’t do multiple types at same time.

island

Veteran Member
I had my first (Pfizer) vaccination in mid-May through my GP, albeit in a vaccination “hub”. One of the staff advised me there that I would receive a new invitation text message to book the second after 8 weeks.

Out of interest I looked to book through the central system today and it is offering me appointments for mid to late July or early August, which would be the right time for the second vaccine, including in the same site as before. I was about to hit book but then paused for thought – would I be sure of ending up at a centre with Pfizer again?

DelayRepay

Established Member
I had my first (Pfizer) vaccination in mid-May through my GP, albeit in a vaccination “hub”. One of the staff advised me there that I would receive a new invitation text message to book the second after 8 weeks.

Out of interest I looked to book through the central system today and it is offering me appointments for mid to late July or early August, which would be the right time for the second vaccine, including in the same site as before. I was about to hit book but then paused for thought – would I be sure of ending up at a centre with Pfizer again?

It should know from your NHS number which type of vaccine you had first, and only offer suitable sites for the second dose. If it's offering appointments from mid July, which is when your eight weeks is up, this suggests it's correctly picked up details of your first dose.

The number of Pfizer sites will be increasing to accommodate the younger people who cannot have AZ.

The NHS booking was a mess. I went to book just moments after the Government announced the new age group, and by the time I got to the end to submit it said the time was taken (surely they could learn from ticketing sites and hold a reservation for 5 or 10 minutes?). I had the same problem the second time I tried, so I had to play safe by booking a slot a few days later.

The site is not great but given the speed with which it was built, I can forgive them. I actually think it's quite amazing that it works as well as it does. If this had happened a few years ago we'd all be waiting for letters through the post.

35B

Established Member
I had my 2nd jab (AZ, 12 weeks) yesterday. I was an oldie (mid 40s...) among those there, and the vast majority were in the lanes dedicated to Pfizer under 40s. It was seriously well focused.

Ediswan

Established Member
The site is not great but given the speed with which it was built, I can forgive them. I actually think it's quite amazing that it works as well as it does. If this had happened a few years ago we'd all be waiting for letters through the post.
I get the impression that the site is intentionally functionally simple in order to reduce the risk of bugs. Hence, things like not reserving a slot you have choosen while you work through the rest of the process.

I too was concerned about the 'cancel first then re-book' system, but it all worked out. Has anybody here seen any reports where do somebody actually did cancel, then was unable to re-book for an earlier date ? Plenty of people are concerned about the possibility, but is it actually happening ?

Dent

I too was concerned about the 'cancel first then re-book' system, but it all worked out. Has anybody here seen any reports where do somebody actually did cancel, then was unable to re-book for an earlier date ? Plenty of people are concerned about the possibility, but is it actually happening ?

I cancelled my booking at my nearest vaccination centre, the best I could find was only a week earlier and much further away. I couldn't even re-book my original appointment, which would have been better for me.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I still find it really interesting seeing different people's experiences contrast so vastly with mine and my partners!
I've said this before but my partner who is 27 booked theirs last Tuesday evening (under 30's become eligible around midnight ish the night before), with the first one last thursday (so less than 2 days after booking) and when they got to the site it was relatively busy but well organised. And my one was great too - booked it as soon as I got the text for about a week later at a pharmacy less than 500m from my flat.
But I've got a friend living in Bath whose had to go to Weston Super Mare for his, and obviously all the other bad experiences people have had too.
It just feels like blind luck!

DelayRepay

Established Member
I get the impression that the site is intentionally functionally simple in order to reduce the risk of bugs. Hence, things like not reserving a slot you have choosen while you work through the rest of the process.

It makes sense. They also probably want to discourage people chopping and changing their appointment date to keep the logistics as simple as possible and avoid wasting slots. They probably did not envisage the situation where the 'rules' would change, prompting a lot of people to want to re-book their second dose.

CrispyUK

But I've got a friend living in Bath whose had to go to Weston Super Mare for his, and obviously all the other bad experiences people have had too.
It just feels like blind luck!
With location, the trouble is the site only lists your nearest locations that have suitable slots available, it doesn’t tell you if there’s a nearer venue that just doesn’t currently have appointments.

I first tried to book shortly after receiving the text for my age group, and the nearest location was 60+ miles away, so didn’t book. Tried again the next morning and was offered loads of date/time options at the local mass vaccination centre. I imagine they open up new slots on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.