• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vaccine Progress, Approval, and Deployment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Before they administer the vaccine do they ask about allergies?
My GP tells me "Don’t have this vaccine if you ever had a significant, immediate-onset anaphylaxis to any vaccine or their components (including previous dose of Covid vaccine), medicine or food". They also say "Don’t have this vaccine if you have been advised to carry an adrenaline auto-injector pen." So, yes, in my case they ask about allergies at the time of booking my appointment. I don't know about at the time because my appointment is later this week.

However, the instructions tell me "As the queue moves, you will be directed to a vaccination station where a clinician will ask you some short questions" and the questions include "Have you ever had a severe allergic reaction?" and "Have you ever been prescribed an adrenaline pen?" amongst others, so they seem to have this covered also.

Last edited:

Wychwood93

My GP tells me "Don’t have this vaccine if you ever had a significant, immediate-onset anaphylaxis to any vaccine or their components (including previous dose of Covid vaccine), medicine or food". They also say "Don’t have this vaccine if you have been advised to carry an adrenaline auto-injector pen." So, yes, in my case they ask about allergies at the time of booking my appointment. I don't know about at the time because my appointment is later this week.

However, the instructions tell me "As the queue moves, you will be directed to a vaccination station where a clinician will ask you some short questions" and the questions include "Have you ever had a severe allergic reaction?" and "Have you ever been prescribed an adrenaline pen?" amongst others, so they seem to have this covered also.
The same questions at the time. In our case we were in and out quickly - no sitting for 15 minutes, although advice was given to just sit in your car for a 'few' minutes before driving. We were cycling.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Oh no, I had a bad reaction to food on holiday in 2016. On return I asked my GP for an epi-pen.

I am category 6, I think I will take my chances with the vaccine. If I tell them they may refuse it.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
The Head of the UK's vaccine taskforce has said this evening that every adult could have received both doses of the vaccine by August or September:

Exclusive:

Every adult in the UK could receive both doses of a coronavirus vaccine by August or September "or maybe sooner if we need to", the head of the UK's Vaccine Taskforce Clive Dix has told Sky News

"Or maybe sooner if we need to" is an odd comment to make, however.

takno

Established Member
The Head of the UK's vaccine taskforce has said this evening that every adult could have received both doses of the vaccine by August or September:

"Or maybe sooner if we need to" is an odd comment to make, however.
I guess the head of the vaccine task force knows fine well that there isn't any particular rush to do the under 40s except for political reasons and to shut some moaning scientists up, but wishes to make it clear that if it proves expedient to do it he's all for getting it done soonest. He's probably got a trip to Corfu planned for August, and doesn't want to end up in Cornwall instead with Matt Hancock

Richard Scott

Established Member
Oh no, I had a bad reaction to food on holiday in 2016. On return I asked my GP for an epi-pen.

I am category 6, I think I will take my chances with the vaccine. If I tell them they may refuse it.
Understood from someone at work with an EpiPen that it's the Pfizer one they couldn't have.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I’ve just been in the NHS site and it doesn’t mention issues if you have had a reaction to food. So unless the vaccine contains fish I should be ok

Allergic reactions​

Tell healthcare staff before you are vaccinated if you've ever had a serious allergic reaction.

You should not have the COVID-19 vaccine if you have ever had a serious allergic reaction (including anaphylaxis) to:

• a previous dose of the same vaccine
  • any of the ingredients in the vaccine
Serious allergic reactions are rare. If you do have a reaction to the vaccine, it usually happens in minutes. Staff giving the vaccine are trained to deal with allergic reactions and treat them immediately.

nlogax

Established Member
I’ve just been in the NHS site and it doesn’t mention issues if you have had a reaction to food. So unless the vaccine contains fish I should be ok

Allergic reactions​

Tell healthcare staff before you are vaccinated if you've ever had a serious allergic reaction.

You should not have the COVID-19 vaccine if you have ever had a serious allergic reaction (including anaphylaxis) to:

• a previous dose of the same vaccine
  • any of the ingredients in the vaccine
Serious allergic reactions are rare. If you do have a reaction to the vaccine, it usually happens in minutes. Staff giving the vaccine are trained to deal with allergic reactions and treat them immediately.

I believe you get an enforced 15 minute observation period after the jab to ensure you don't develop an allergic reaction. My hope / guess is you'll be absolutely fine. Not exactly seeing a ton of vaccine allergy stories out there since the initial one or two hit the headlines in December.

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1361982389761810434
The vaccine roll out is going far faster in some parts than others. A 52 year-old friend with no underlying health problems was given a 1st jab in Battersea yesterday. By next week, his GPs’ surgery will have completed all 9 at-risk groups and don’t know what to do next.

To me this seems like an ideal opportunity to help speed up the priority rollout for those living in neighbouring boroughs. I wonder what degree of joined-up thinking is going on that would allow it to happen.

Last edited:

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Words from my partner who is a vaccinator:

As Stephen says I am COVID-19 vaccinator so go through the process many times each shift. Every person 'citizen' is asked about any known allergies, and more specifically any allergic reactions that have led to anaphylaxis and what that allergy was. There is a list of ingredients available to check against. If there is any doubt at all that the vaccinator has they will seek advice immediately from a more senior vaccinator, medic or pharmacist. If there is any further doubt the individual will be asked to go back to their GP to discuss options i.e. a different vaccine. people who have other underlying health issues are generally encouraged to receive the vaccine. I have noticed a comment about the 'enforced' 15 minute wait post vaccination - this is purely to check that there is no clear reaction to the vaccine, not all reactions are anaphylaxis and it is advised in the persons interests that they stay for observation. This is not an Enforcement as we don't have powers to do that, but something I would strongly recommend as a reassurance and from my experience some people are quite 'giddy' with gratitude and the time given to reflect and read the post vaccine information leaflet should be valued. For what its worth I have personally given hundreds of vaccinations by now, mostly PfizerBioNTech (some AstraZeneca) and have seen no adverse reactions :)

Last edited:

Pete_uk

Established Member
My mother had the Pfizer vaccine last Thursday and there has been no effects. She only rememberd it the other day when she hit her arm on the door and the area around where she got pricked was a bit more sore than the rest.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My mother had the Pfizer vaccine last Thursday and there has been no effects. She only rememberd it the other day when she hit her arm on the door and the area around where she got pricked was a bit more sore than the rest.

Yes my mum got the Pfizer vaccine yesterday and so far she's reporting no side effects other than a bit of soreness if she presses on the area immediately around the injection site.

Bayum

Established Member
Had my vaccine yesterday at Elland Road stadium. Was hoping for Pfizer but got AZ. Beggars and choosing and all that.
in and out within ten minutes. Wasn’t particularly painful like I’d heard. I’d say it hurt less than the HPV vaccine and the most recent flu jabs.
No massive side effects, though I know a fair number who have been quite poorly. Just been very tired today mixed with some brain fog.
In other news, my phone signal has never been better and I keep hearing that fantastic internet dial up tone from the 90’s everywhere I go!

Should also say that there doesn’t seem to be any mandatory 15 minute wait post-vaccination. All I was told (and most other vaccinators I know and have trained) have said that they’re advising only those driving home themselves that they should wait fifteen minutes before setting off. That time can be spent sat down in the centre, out walking or sitting in the car.

jfollows

Established Member
I had my vaccination this morning, Pfizer vaccine, and was asked the questions above prior to its receipt. The surgery has set up a marquee in the car park and gives you a 15 minute departure time and requests that you wait in the marquee for the duration, with a nurse present in case of illness, primarily presumably to watch for any allergic reaction. Exceptionally well organised and run, but I guess they've had a bit of practice by now.

EDIT - so painless I almost didn't feel the injection at the time. However it's too soon to know if I have any adverse side-effects.

FURTHER EDIT - for what it's worth, I was just about able to identify the injection site for a couple of days after the injection, but I had no other extraordinary effects for five days following the vaccination, but I tend to be fortunate that way with medication in general.

Last edited:

35B

Established Member
I had my vaccination this morning, Pfizer vaccine, and was asked the questions above prior to its receipt. The surgery has set up a marquee in the car park and gives you a 15 minute departure time and requests that you wait in the marquee for the duration, with a nurse present in case of illness, primarily presumably to watch for any allergic reaction. Exceptionally well organised and run, but I guess they've had a bit of practice by now.

EDIT - so painless I almost didn't feel the injection at the time. However it's too soon to know if I have any adverse side-effects.
The waiting period isn't just for allergic reactions - I had the same instruction to wait in store after receiving a flu jab at Boots in the autumn; it was to do with the possibility of vasovagal syncope, where fainting can be a result of needle use (it once happened to me after blood was taken for a test). It's not linked to the vaccine, but to the use of the needle - and goes beyond a purely psychosomatic reaction to needle use.

jfollows

Established Member
The waiting period isn't just for allergic reactions - I had the same instruction to wait in store after receiving a flu jab at Boots in the autumn; it was to do with the possibility of vasovagal syncope, where fainting can be a result of needle use (it once happened to me after blood was taken for a test). It's not linked to the vaccine, but to the use of the needle - and goes beyond a purely psychosomatic reaction to needle use.
I'm not doubting you, and it's interesting to know, but when I had my flu jab last September at the same GP where I've just had my Covid-19 vaccination I wasn't told to wait at all after its administration for any reason. I'm sure it's valuable to wait 15 minutes after an injection for whatever purpose. Fortunately I live within walking distance of my GP so I'm not put in a position of having to drive soon after.

Last edited:

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I'm not doubting you, and it's interesting to know, but when I had my flu jab at the same GP where I've just had my Covid-19 vaccination last September I wasn't told to wait at all after its administration for any reason. I'm sure it's valuable to wait 15 minutes after an injection for whatever purpose. Fortunately I live within walking distance of my GP so I'm not put in a position of having to drive soon after.
They couldn't throw me out of the back door of the surgery quick enough after my flu jab in the autumn.

35B

Established Member
I'm not doubting you, and it's interesting to know, but when I had my flu jab last September at the same GP where I've just had my Covid-19 vaccination I wasn't told to wait at all after its administration for any reason. I'm sure it's valuable to wait 15 minutes after an injection for whatever purpose. Fortunately I live within walking distance of my GP so I'm not put in a position of having to drive soon after.
The pharmacist didn't care how I travelled; he just wanted to avoid me keeling over anywhere!

RAPC

I sent a note to my MP yesterday evening and got an automated response saying 28 days for a response if appropriate. I'm not holding out much hope on that score.

Just by way of an update to my posts last week, after a couple of people suggested contacting my MP. I'm delighted to say that the office of my MP responded on Monday this week with a promise of raising it with the Vaccine Minister's department. On Tuesday morning they followed up again with advice on how to get my wife's grouping corrected via the Practice Manager at our Doctor's surgery.

On Tuesday afternoon my wife had a scheduled call with a GP, with the GP confirming that she should be in group 4, but there was nothing they could do etc. She passed on the details provided via our MP and the GP said he would look in to it. An hour later she was offered appointments for the vaccine, which she had yesterday evening. My wife got the Pfizer jab. My mum also had hers yesterday and had the Oxford one. No pain or side effects for either of them.

Thanks for the MP suggestions by a couple of posters earlier in the thread. It was the route I hadn't considered, but also the one that helped us sort it. Really appreciate the help.

takno

Established Member
Just by way of an update to my posts last week, after a couple of people suggested contacting my MP. I'm delighted to say that the office of my MP responded on Monday this week with a promise of raising it with the Vaccine Minister's department. On Tuesday morning they followed up again with advice on how to get my wife's grouping corrected via the Practice Manager at our Doctor's surgery.

On Tuesday afternoon my wife had a scheduled call with a GP, with the GP confirming that she should be in group 4, but there was nothing they could do etc. She passed on the details provided via our MP and the GP said he would look in to it. An hour later she was offered appointments for the vaccine, which she had yesterday evening. My wife got the Pfizer jab. My mum also had hers yesterday and had the Oxford one. No pain or side effects for either of them.

Thanks for the MP suggestions by a couple of posters earlier in the thread. It was the route I hadn't considered, but also the one that helped us sort it. Really appreciate the help.
Glad to hear it was all sorted, and it's heartening to know that even some of the MPs with a poorer reputation are capable of getting something done for their constituents.

Gadget88

So not much optimism news on the J&J vaccine I read the US may not reach its vaccination targets if it requires two doses any thoughts will it go two doses or stay one? Is there any other singular vaccines in development?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yes my mum got the Pfizer vaccine yesterday and so far she's reporting no side effects other than a bit of soreness if she presses on the area immediately around the injection site.
As first hand experience, I had the Pfizer vaccine yesterday, and it’s actually quite difficult to find the jab site, there’s been far less discomfort than my last flu jab, and after 30 hours or so it’s almost gone completely...

johnnychips

Established Member
I had mine (Pfizer) a few hours ago, and no side effects yet, but if anybody on here doesn’t like needles, it is like a kitten scratching you. Nothing like drawing a blood sample or an anaesthetic injection at the dentist.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
So not much optimism news on the J&J vaccine I read the US may not reach its vaccination targets if it requires two doses any thoughts will it go two doses or stay one? Is there any other singular vaccines in development?
It is highly likely to be approved for single dose use in the UK, it still beats Astra Zeneca!

It achieves the primary clinical endpoint of zero hospitalisations or deaths, even against the SA variant.
That is all we ultimately need.

Worst comes to worst, come summer we can hit everyone who recieved sub-optimal vaccinations with a fresh course from the flood of Novavax and possibly Valneva.

Status
Not open for further replies.