• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vaccine Progress, Approval, and Deployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

DelayRepay

Established Member
People in England aged 38 and 39 will from tomorrow be invited to book a Covid Vaccination, that means me!! Possibly have it before 29th May when I go away for a week but if not it be after.

May I suggest leaving a few days between the vaccine and going away? I had my first shot on Saturday and felt quite rough on Sunday/Monday. I'm back to normal now but I didn't have enough energy to travel anywhere for the last couple of days.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
May I suggest leaving a few days between the vaccine and going away? I had my first shot on Saturday and felt quite rough on Sunday/Monday. I'm back to normal now but I didn't have enough energy to travel anywhere for the last couple of days.
I'd definitely advise younger people to plan to rest for a couple of days after vaccination.

Quite a few people at work lately have told me they have felt very unweill for a day or two after the first jab. It's nothing to worry about but is something to be aware of and prepare for!

In contrast, older people tend to not really notice anything.

In other news..

This week, Tim discusses how COVID is changing, with milder cases even though rates have increased.

He also explains the jump in numbers in the ZOE COVID Study app, which is due to a recent change in methodology towards calculating rates.

Read more about the change here: https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/covid-...

Finally, Tim announces an exciting opportunity for our valued ZOE app contributors to ask him a question directly! Just log in to the app, and once you've reported your daily symptoms there will be a link to the question page. His answers will be shared weekly through YouTube and the app.

For the website visit: https://covid.joinzoe.com/ For more localised data visit: https://covid.joinzoe.com/data

People who have been vaccinated are getting infected (though in much reduced numbers of course) but are either asymptomatic or have mild symptoms.

As predicted, Sars-CoV-2 is clearly here to stay, but once we have immunity, it really doesn't matter and it looks to be no worse than existing respiratory viruses.

This is all of no surprise but it's good to get more data and confirmation of this.

takno

Established Member
I was quite rough about 4 hours afterwards, building up to very unpleasant feverish night, and a day of feeling a bit feverish and delicate. Worse than any jab I've had before

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I felt fatigued, had a headache and felt extremely irritable the day after my jab. But then it was a work day !

takno

Established Member
I felt fatigued, had a headache and felt extremely irritable the day after my jab. But then it was a work day !
I think if I hadn't had to be in the office I would probably have spent the day wrapped in a duvet feeling awful. As it was I was getting on with stuff and didn't feel too bad

Bayum

Established Member
Second jab this evening.
Interestingly, wasn’t offered an alternative to AZ even though I’m under 40. Apparently, the protocol has changed on an extremely frequent basis since the announcement.

I was quite rough about 4 hours afterwards, building up to very unpleasant feverish night, and a day of feeling a bit feverish and delicate. Worse than any jab I've had before
What did you have?

takno

Established Member
Second jab this evening.
Interestingly, wasn’t offered an alternative to AZ even though I’m under 40. Apparently, the protocol has changed on an extremely frequent basis since the announcement.

What did you have?
AZ. Haven't heard of anyone having that kind of response to Pfizer tbh, although personally I've still got more faith in AZ

Dent

Second jab this evening.

The second dose should always be the same as the first dose you had, so you shouldn't have been offered anything else.

Bayum

Established Member
AZ. Haven't heard of anyone having that kind of response to Pfizer tbh, although personally I've still got more faith in AZ
See, I’ve had the opposite experience from close contacts and their experience with Pfizer.

The second dose should always be the same as the first dose you had, so you shouldn't have been offered anything else.
Not entirely true.

TravelDream

Totally anecdotally, people I know who've had the AZ vaccine have had a worse reaction than the Pfizer one. Though I know people who've had the AZ one who've had no side effects at all.
This article confirms it: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/most-common-side-effects-pfizer-24058687
  • ''Around one in eight people who received one dose of the vaccine experienced at least one systemic effect within seven days of their jab, compared with roughly one in three getting the AstraZeneca jab.''

Interesting point. Why do you have more faith in the AZ vaccine than any of the others?

Snow1964

Established Member
People in England aged 38 and 39 will from tomorrow be invited to book a Covid Vaccination, that means me!! Possibly have it before 29th May when I go away for a week but if not it be after.
My partners best friend had his yesterday and he was 40 last December and my friend who is late 50s had her 2nd today so we are doing really well now. Another friend who is 48 had his last Thursday so just be my nephew who is 18 to do now as most of my friends, family and colleagues have had at least one vaccination now.

NHS vaccines opens at 7am today for 38 and 39 in England
You can book from 7am, don’t need to wait for text

Some GPs will already have called people in 30s, (and in some cases in 20s). Those below 40 now getting Moderna or Pfeizer so should be on different list to those getting AstraZeneca

I understand Moderna is more likely in lower volume rural centres as does not need special low temperature freezers

Last edited:

takno

Established Member
Interesting point. Why do you have more faith in the AZ vaccine than any of the others?
It's less innovative, so I'm a bit more confident on unknown long term side effect.

There's also a strong and factor of it not being pushed by Pfizer, who with the best will in the world have never struck me as good people

Domh245

Established Member
Interestingly, wasn’t offered an alternative to AZ even though I’m under 40. Apparently, the protocol has changed on an extremely frequent basis since the announcement
Only reason you wouldn't get AZ again is if you'd had a severe adverse reaction to the first. No mixing under normal circumstances

It's less innovative, so I'm a bit more confident on unknown long term side effect.

Viral vector is just as novel as mRNA. It isn't the same as attenuated viruses as is common with many vavcines

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/57095105Why is this French doctor throwing away vaccines?
Why is this French doctor throwing away vaccines?

France has had a low uptake of the AstraZeneca (AZ) vaccine, which is creating stockpiles of the drug.
From Wednesday, anyone under 50 can book an appointment to take the unused vaccines, but this won't help the AZ problems as in France anyone under 55 is not approved for the drug.
Despite not having approval, the French Health Ministry has said that AstraZeneca may be offered to under 55s if the alternative is throwing it in the bin.
This is a ridiculous situation; it makes me feel angry reading this. Macron and others have acted irresponsibly and must take responsibility for this.

Adults are more likely to report mild and moderate side-effects after mixing doses of the AstraZeneca and Pfizer Covid vaccines, a study indicates.
Chills, headaches and muscle pain were reported more frequently when different vaccine doses were combined.
Any adverse reactions were short lived, with no other safety concerns.
I'm not really surprised by this, given the reactions to each vaccine are different, so it makes sense. I've thought for a while that we may see increased effectiveness by combining vaccines and this only strengthens those thoughts, though it's too early to gather any data on that.

Second jab this evening.
Interestingly, wasn’t offered an alternative to AZ even though I’m under 40. ...
I think it's worth pointing out that the (tiny) risk of blood clotting in under 40s is exclusively after the first dose only, so as you already had your first dose, there would be no reason not to give AZ as the second.

I don't agree; the main thing is to continue vaccinating. There is no rule against mixing doses; the advice is merely to give the same one if possible and that's only because we don't yet have data on the effectiveness of mixing vaccines (which I think is more likely than not to show an increase in efficacy).
I personally do not think there is any such concern. Leading vaccination experts have said that any long term effects would become apparent within a short period of time.
There's also a strong and factor of it not being pushed by Pfizer, who with the best will in the world have never struck me as good people
I'd agree with that, and they've said some things that are irresponsible.

Viral vector is just as novel as mRNA. ...
I wouldn't go that far. But it's a moot point in my opinion.

TravelDream

The latter point is of course right. mRNA is pretty new, though it has been used in humans in trials for almost two decades now. I think you're wrong in the first point though. mRNA is likely to be a revolution in medical care in the coming decade and the BioNTech/ Pfizer vaccine is the first mRNA medicine/ vaccine to be approved anywhere in the world. Innovative is the word.
Thinking of cancer, we'll hear less about chemotherapy and radiotherapy, and more about immunotherapy where mRNA will 'train' our own immune systems to fight the cancer with far far fewer side effects and potentially much higher effectiveness.

Pfizer is no different to Moderna, AstraZeneca, Johnson&Johnson or any of the other major pharma companies around the world. There is nothing less 'good' about them. Also, their vaccine wasn't developed by them. Just as the AstraZeneca one was developed at Oxford University, the Pfizer one was developed by BioNTech in Germany.

takno

Established Member
I personally do not think there is any such concern. Leading vaccination experts have said that any long term effects would become apparent within a short period of time.
It's not a concern that would have stopped me getting the vaccine tbh, just something at the back of my mind, and enough to override any concerns I would ever have had about clotting

DannyMich2018

Yes thanks I have done, I've gone onto NHS site and booked for next Thursday 20th May, also booked 2nd one 5th August. :) They not got any appointments in my town but have in Nuneaton which is only a few miles away.

Bayum

Established Member
I think it's worth pointing out that the (tiny) risk of blood clotting in under 40s is exclusively after the first dose only, so as you already had your first dose, there would be no reason not to give AZ as the second.
Incorrect. JCVI and DoH have recognised there is a risk, albeit much smaller, with the second dose. There have been reports of clotting associated with low platelets after injection one and two.

jfollows

Established Member
My GP is on its last day of dispensing the Pfizer vaccination today, after today this will of course still be available but not at this location. So it's put out a call for anyone requiring the Pfizer vaccine to make an appointment for this afternoon to ensure that none of its last supply is wasted. Even though there is still a priority order, at the end of the day using the vaccine on anyone is better than not using it at all.

EDIT at 12:03 I see an update to the effect that all vaccine doses have been allocated to appointments, so their call for last-minute appointments seems to have worked.

kristiang85

Established Member
I just got a text from a friend in London, where she had her vaccine today. Apparently yesterday was their last AZ day; today onwards if Pfizer. When it was announced, apparently many in the queue cheered!

I'll be interested to see what I'm given next week in Hampshire.

TravelDream

I just got a text from a friend in London, where she had her vaccine today. Apparently yesterday was their last AZ day; today onwards if Pfizer. When it was announced, apparently many in the queue cheered!

I don't want to say that's nonsense, but it sounds like nonsense to me. From what I have heard/ seen around here, there aren't enough people close together in the vaccine centres for that to happen. Unless by queue you mean a couple of people.

With all the scare stories on AZ in the news, I doubt public opinion would be that way either.

kristiang85

Established Member
I don't want to say that's nonsense, but it sounds like nonsense to me. From what I have heard/ seen around here, there aren't enough people close together in the vaccine centres for that to happen. Unless by queue you mean a couple of people.

With all the scare stories on AZ in the news, I doubt public opinion would be that way either.
Apparently it was a 'queue room', which doesn't surprise me given the weather.

Sorry just realised there was a typo in my original post: today onwards it is Pfizer.

Darandio

Established Member
Just tried to book online again after being eligible for nearly 3 weeks, still won't offer me anything anywhere near and it's now offering them in the next category. I'm still not travelling for it.

kristiang85

Established Member
It now seems anybody in Blackburn over 18 can book a Pfizer jab now. So the surge vaccination seems to be happening, which is a good sign.

Richard Scott

Established Member

Assume they cheered as it was Pfizer? If so such a shame as shows our wonderful media have managed to make another British product look like the pits and yet successive governments have been blamed for fall of certain industries. We are our own worst enemies in this country. Disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.