• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vaccine Progress, Approval, and Deployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Dose numerous dos of the AZ in my arm now. Definitely felt it a bit more than the first, and my arm feels a little hot and heavy. My wife found the second dose a little worse than the first, so we'll see how it goes. Just hope any grotty happens tomorrow and not Thursday, got my first trip away then to see family in Cheshire!
My wife also found the second AZ dose worse, though i had no ill-effects at all!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westv

Established Member
Sad yes. But in the scheme of things hardly the end of the world. Besides, the best smiles are in the eyes. :)
Does that mean, under normal circumstances, you never expect anybody to smile at you with their mouth if the eyes are all that's needed? :D:p

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Got mine booked in for next week. Could have got this week but camping from tommorow so didn't fancy a sore arm or grogginess. The main problem I have is having to go to elland road :'(

Crossover

Established Member
We were instructed to time ourselves!
I had the time written on my vaccination card and was asked to wait until that time. No-one was particularly checking
@kristiang85 - there's something odd with the booking system. For my original booking, cancellation and then re-booking, I got the text and email confirmations about three days later. Actually I am surprised they don't send reminder texts/emails the day before.
I made and then re-made the appointments. The first time I think I got it by text, eventually. Cancellation I got via email and text and I can't recall how quickly the rebooking came through but fairly sure I have text and email
The main problem I have is having to go to elland road :'(
We all have a cross to bear ;)

WelshBluebird

Established Member
After my second AZ jab yesterday I'm feeling a lot better than I did after my first. I have an achy arm and that's it, whereas for the first one I basically felt hungover the day after! Didn't have to wait any time after the jab to leave either - I did ask but was told that as you've had the first and were fine, any allergic reaction was pretty unlikely so they weren't asking people to wait after their 2nd dose. Seems a little odd to have different practices depending on where you get the jab but I wasn't complaining - meant I was back home 30 minutes after leaving (I got the jab at a pharmacy ten minutes walk away - so was really quick!).

My partner has their first one at one of the larger vaccination centres tomorrow so will be interesting to see what their experience is!

kristiang85

Established Member
For mine they just told me to stay in the seat I had it, and wrote a time on the whiteboard next to me which said when I could leave.

I guess it depends on the size of the vaccination centre; mine was big enough to keep people there I presume.

Trackman

Established Member
My wife also found the second AZ dose worse, though i had no ill-effects at all!
Had my second AZ yesterday and today I feel worse than the first. Feels like I've been kicked, feeling tired like I've been on the booze last night or something.
But hey-ho, I'll be firing on all cylinders tomorrow.
I guess it depends on the size of the vaccination centre; mine was big enough to keep people there I presume.
I've been asking around, this seems to be the case.
The health centre I went too only had seats in the jab/treatment rooms.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
For mine they just told me to stay in the seat I had it, and wrote a time on the whiteboard next to me which said when I could leave.

When we had our first jabs we had to wait for 15 minutes afterwards before going home, but when we had the second and nobody had said anything, we asked the nurse about waiting and she said that had been dispensed with now. This was in Wales.

TravelDream

When we had our first jabs we had to wait for 15 minutes afterwards before going home, but when we had the second and nobody had said anything, we asked the nurse about waiting and she said that had been dispensed with now. This was in Wales.

It certainly shouldn't have been dispensed with because the vaccine is only licensed with the monitoring period after receiving it.
I had the jab in Wales just a few weeks ago and we were all told to wait 15 minutes.

DannyMich2018

Large group as in age band or as in total numbers within that group?

Given that most over 50's will have had both doses now (and a good number under that age too, given that there's be a lot of at risk people done too) then I suspect that the over 18's but under 25's won't be waiting very long for their first dose - especially given that most people I know in their mid 30's have had their first dose already (OK some only just, but I'd expect that those who haven't will follow within the next week or so).
Well both, the 25-29 age group will have a lot of people in minus of course any who are vunerable and NHS and Social Care staff.
It's been about 9 weeks since 1st doses fell sharply (some of these who are over 50 will be now due 2nd ones) so we should have fewer 2nd jabs due in the next week or two.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Well both, the 25-29 age group will have a lot of people in minus of course any who are vunerable and NHS and Social Care staff.
It's been about 9 weeks since 1st doses fell sharply (some of these who are over 50 will be now due 2nd ones) so we should have fewer 2nd jabs due in the next week or two.
I had my second yesterday, and I'm 51. So yeah there's likely to be a big up tick soon on first doses fairly soon, as there was a bit of a lull after the over 50s. And seemingly the 25-29s have booked over a million first appointments thus far, so these will be kicking in soon.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
It certainly shouldn't have been dispensed with because the vaccine is only licensed with the monitoring period after receiving it.
I had the jab in Wales just a few weeks ago and we were all told to wait 15 minutes.

Can I ask you what qualifications you may have to be able to make this statement.

Domh245

Established Member
So yeah there's likely to be a big up tick soon on first doses fairly soon, as there was a bit of a lull after the over 50s. And seemingly the 25-29s have booked over a million first appointments thus far, so these will be kicking in soon.

I'm not sure that there'll be too much of an uptick - many of that 'bumper' first dose period were given Astrazeneca(/Covishield - imported from India) which isn't being offered to under 40s generally, though if cases continue to pick up this situation may be revisited of course. My local centre has been doing Astrazeneca walk-ins today, for anyone 18+ which is certainly a bit of a surprise - particularly as they'd been doing Pfizer 25+ yesterday

Seems to depends on the vaccine, Pfizer & Moderna both carry recommendations for 15 minute observation (Sections 4.4). AZ doesn't seem to include a wait, but it would seem odd for it to not be done.

TravelDream

Can I ask you what qualifications you may have to be able to make this statement.

@PHILIPE - We have been here before with whether people in Wales were contacted by phone or by letter with their appointments. You swore blind people were contacted by phone until I provided proof they were contacted by letter and then you 'remembered' you had received a letter too for the second dose and there were special circumstances for the first.

@Domh245 has very helpfully provided links to the regulatory approval documents above. They are available for anyone to read and you do not need (and I will quote) 'qualifications' to do so.

In addition, check this document. Obviously people are not imprisoned and can leave when they want to.
It is recommended that individuals are observed for a minimum of 15 minutes following administration of the Pfizer BioNTech and Moderna vaccines. There is no requirement for 15 minutes observation following the AstraZeneca vaccine. However, as fainting can occur following vaccination, all those vaccinated with any of the COVID-19 vaccines should either be driven by someone else or should not drive for 15 minutes after vaccination.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
@PHILIPE - We have been here before with whether people in Wales were contacted by phone or by letter with their appointments. You swore blind people were contacted by phone until I provided proof they were contacted by letter and then you 'remembered' you had received a letter too for the second dose and there were special circumstances for the first.

@Domh245 has very helpfully provided links to the regulatory approval documents above. They are available for anyone to read and you do not need (and I will quote) 'qualifications' to do so.

In addition, check this document. Obviously people are not imprisoned and can leave when they want to.

As I said before, I told you what happened in my experience whether it was right or wrong.

Snow1964

Established Member

I understand each year has about 700,000 people, but some of these would have been in vulnerable, or medical staff priority group so must be something like 650,000 per year of age to still get first dose.

Anyone over 50 can rebook second dose and bring forward to 8 weeks (no longer have to wait the 11 weeks)

I suspect the first dose is being limited as AZ is no longer given to anyone under 40 as a first dose (but is available as second dose to those who received AZ before rules changed due to clotting risk)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

Thank you for the link but that document was issued by Public Health England but as I said I live in Wales. I quote an extract from the
Welsh guidance:-

gov.wales/getting-your-covid-19-vaccine

Getting your vaccination appointment​

The NHS will vaccinate people in order of clinical risk (on GOV.UK), largely based on age groups from old to young. Some people are much more at risk than others from serious complications of COVID-19. This is why the new vaccine is being prioritised to protect them first.

People in care homes and those who are housebound will receive the vaccine in their homes.
As more vaccine is becoming available, we are offering it to successive age bands of adults. Subject to vaccine supply, we are on track to offer everybody their first dose by the end of July.
When it is your turn to receive the vaccine, you will be contacted directly by the NHS. You may be contacted by either telephone or letter.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Had my first vaccine (Pfizer) this evening from Salisbury. Well run with two queues running (1st dose or 2nd dose) with around a 60/40 split for 1st doses (rough estimate).

TravelDream

gov.wales/getting-your-covid-19-vaccine

You've completely changed topic. The PHE document I linked to was in reference to waiting for 15 minutes.

We were talking about this last week (if I remember correctly. It might be two).

Vaccinations in Wales are organised by local health boards and not the Welsh Gov directly. If you go back to that post, I posted links for every health board in South Wales stating that they contact people through the post.

jumble

With multiple vaccines now releasing results, I thought it could be useful to have a place to discuss their approval, deployment, and effects on society. Here's a section from the BBC's article to set the tone I was thinking of:

More details are surfacing about the rollout plan; apparently, the NHS is hoping to give out a million doses a week. That would mean over a year for a full-population vaccination programme; and starts to raise questions about when we should begin to lift restrictions.

Likewise my Missus was knocked out by her second dose but I could not tell I had been vaccinated beyond a tiny scratch feeling on my arm
Both AZ
Second dose in Chemist vaccinator asked if I was driving home and on being told no said nothing about waiting afterwards

Ediswan

Established Member
First AZ dose, 15 minute wait was optional.

Second AZ dose, as driving, was told to wait, but free to wait in my own car. Thus leaving me free to drive away immediately, or (albeit highly unlikely) faint while sitting in the car.

brad465

Established Member
At the moment there are 23% of adults to have one dose but not two, and with 55.4% of adults having two doses we can't be far away from getting groups 1-9 complete with second doses (78% overall with at least 1). Is it possible perhaps that second doses could be accelerated even further for under 50s in light of revelations about the Delta variant, seeing as we're also near the bottom of the list of adults (I'm 25 and had my first shot yesterday for example)?

DelayRepay

Established Member
At the moment there are 23% of adults to have one dose but not two, and with 55.4% of adults having two doses we can't be far away from getting groups 1-9 complete with second doses (78% overall with at least 1). Is it possible perhaps that second doses could be accelerated even further for under 50s in light of revelations about the Delta variant, seeing as we're also near the bottom of the list of adults (I'm 25 and had my first shot yesterday for example)?

Given a delay to the easing of restrictions now seems inevitable I think it's essential that we use the time to get as many shots into arms as possible.

If I were in charge, I would be sending people door to door (use the Surge Testing staff/volunteers) to visit anyone in the priority groups who had not been vaccinated (at all, or had their first dose but not had/booked their second). If they have chosen not to be vaccinated then that's fair enough as it's their choice. But if there was any other reason, e.g. no transport or couldn't book an appointment for some reason then I would sort it out. This would include, where necessary, driving them to a vaccination centre. Getting these people jabbed should be our top priority, and it needs to happen within the next few days so they can build up as much protection as possible.

Tracked

Established Member
There was a couple of vaccination venues around here (Doncaster) that were doing drop-in sessions last weekend, as I understand it there were set times for different age groups on Saturday and Sunday for turning up without appointment. From what I've heard they sounded quite well-attended, although I've not seen anything about them being continued this weekend.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Given a delay to the easing of restrictions now seems inevitable I think it's essential that we use the time to get as many shots into arms as possible.

If I were in charge, I would be sending people door to door (use the Surge Testing staff/volunteers) to visit anyone in the priority groups who had not been vaccinated (at all, or had their first dose but not had/booked their second). If they have chosen not to be vaccinated then that's fair enough as it's their choice. But if there was any other reason, e.g. no transport or couldn't book an appointment for some reason then I would sort it out. This would include, where necessary, driving them to a vaccination centre. Getting these people jabbed should be our top priority, and it needs to happen within the next few days so they can build up as much protection as possible.
There's no need to go banging on anyone's doors needle in hand. In fact there is no reason to do anything but open up appointments for 18-24 year olds. We already have 55.4% of the adult population fully vaccinated and are on course for over 80%. That's going to put a big dent in any impact the virus might have had on hospitalisation and deaths. Restrictions are purely political, and are reversed by politicans. All that is needed right now is the right amount of pressure on them.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Mine was written on the back of the little card you get and was moved to a was a souless, silent room with people just waiting to leave!

Silver Cobra

I've had a bit of a worrying development since I had my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine two weeks ago. Around 48 hours after having the jab, I started developing a niggling pain just under my left ribs and left shoulder blade. I didn't think much of it at the time, as I thought it may just be some minor side-effects from having the vaccine. As the week progressed and I got to last weekend, the pain under the ribs had stopped, but the pain under the left shoulder blade had worsened. It got so bad that, by Monday, I had to be sent home early from work as I could no longer bear any weight in my left arm. By Wednesday, I was having quite a few spikes of pain under my left ribs again, leaving me little choice but to contact NHS 111. After describing my symptoms, they referred me to my nearest A&E hospital, (Bedford South Wing). After several hours of tests and an X-ray, they have diagnosed me with a potential blood clot, which I am now awaiting a CT scan to confirm for definite while taking blood-thinning tablets. As of now, my condition has returned to about where I was a week ago, so it's subsided a little but still fairly uncomfortable. I'm hoping desperately that, if I do have a blood clot, the blood-thinning tablets help to clear it.

Now of course, for the fact I had the Pfizer vaccine rather than the AstraZenica, I can't directly blame the vaccine for what has happened. There is a reasonable chance that I was unlucky enough to have potentially developed a blood clot that had nothing to do with the vaccine. However, for the fact any symptoms I've had over the last two weeks started 48 hours after having the vaccine, I can't shake the thought that it may have contributed to this (I'm going to guess that any vaccine has a very small chance of causing a blood clot, but the AZ vaccine has a slightly higher chance again due to the design of the vaccine itself). As such, despite how important it is to have both doses of the vaccine, it's making me feel rather concerned about the idea of having my second dose, in case I end up going through all this again...

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I've had a bit of a worrying development since I had my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine two weeks ago. Around 48 hours after having the jab, I started developing a niggling pain just under my left ribs and left shoulder blade. I didn't think much of it at the time, as I thought it may just be some minor side-effects from having the vaccine. As the week progressed and I got to last weekend, the pain under the ribs had stopped, but the pain under the left shoulder blade had worsened. It got so bad that, by Monday, I had to be sent home early from work as I could no longer bear any weight in my left arm. By Wednesday, I was having quite a few spikes of pain under my left ribs again, leaving me little choice but to contact NHS 111. After describing my symptoms, they referred me to my nearest A&E hospital, (Bedford South Wing). After several hours of tests and an X-ray, they have diagnosed me with a potential blood clot, which I am now awaiting a CT scan to confirm for definite while taking blood-thinning tablets. As of now, my condition has returned to about where I was a week ago, so it's subsided a little but still fairly uncomfortable. I'm hoping desperately that, if I do have a blood clot, the blood-thinning tablets help to clear it.

Now of course, for the fact I had the Pfizer vaccine rather than the AstraZenica, I can't directly blame the vaccine for what has happened. There is a reasonable chance that I was unlucky enough to have potentially developed a blood clot that had nothing to do with the vaccine. However, for the fact any symptoms I've had over the last two weeks started 48 hours after having the vaccine, I can't shake the thought that it may have contributed to this (I'm going to guess that any vaccine has a very small chance of causing a blood clot, but the AZ vaccine has a slightly higher chance again due to the design of the vaccine itself). As such, despite how important it is to have both doses of the vaccine, it's making me feel rather concerned about the idea of having my second dose, in case I end up going through all this again...
Sorry to hear of your trouble, I hope it continues to calm down.

My Mother had blood clots in her chest a few weeks after her first jab and found no information to help her make a very difficult decision about her second jab.

The medical world were dismissive yes men and it worried her sick for weeks.

Meanwhile the world was shouting about the dangers of the jab being anti fax propaganda

She did eventually have the second jab and is fine but she is in her 70,s ans has immune system issues so in the end the weight of threat just tipped in favour of the jabs.

I’d love to meet the internet mouths who say it’s all such a simple decision, maybe put them in front of people like you and my Mum.

People need to try walking in others shoes.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.