• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vaccine side effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inversnecky

Still blinded as to whether I'm in the control group or not, but I had no side effects whatsoever other than some minor localised arm pain which lasted for couple of hours at most after my second maybe-J&J-maybe-saline jab.

First maybe-J&J-maybe-saline dose wasn't as fun and seemingly caused me to feel fatigued/headaches/muscle aches for a couple of days.

Of course, all these symptoms could just be entirely psychosomatic if I did get the placebo!

You wouldn't be in any control group now, now it's licenced and in use, you'd be getting the real thing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Master Cutler

Since having the COVID jab, I can count the number of side effects on the fingers of one hand, - seven at the last count.

XAM2175

Established Member
What I meant to ask was, if a person experiences more severe side effects as a result of their immune system attacking the spike protein generated by the vaccination, would they have likely suffered more severe symptoms if exposed to Sars-CoV-2 whilst unvaccinated?
I've heard it suggested that this is likely to be the case, but with some uncertainty as to the extent of the correlation.

High Dyke

Established Member
My wife (an ex nurse) says relaxing the arm when being injected helps prevent soreness.

I had the AZ with no side effects.
I had my first dose (AZ) last Sunday. No side effects afterwards.

The nurse asked me to put my arm by my side and drop the shoulder slightly to relax the muscles. Never felt the injection at all, and I don't like needles.

chris11256

I had the AZ jab yesterday, sore arm afterwards and today woke up feeling slightly sluggish, but otherwise fine.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
AZ vaccine with no side-effects that I could spot. Fell asleep that afternoon but I had just been for a 15-mile bike ride so fairly normal. Incidentally car drivers were asked to wait 15 minutes before leaving in case of possible sudden side-effects but they were perfectly happy for me to ride off straight away. I did, but was ready to get off if I felt at all queazy.

I'm 60. Anecdotally it does seem to be the younger you are the more likely you are to have side-effects (or is it just that as you get older, aches and pains just seem normal?).

I had to wait 15 minutes after the first jab but when I had my second on Saturday and nothing was said, I enquired of the nurse and she said the 15 minutes wait has now been dispensed with.

Trackman

Established Member
AZ yesterday, just feel a little lethargic today.
I was on full standby with meds as I had a really bad time with the flu jab about 4 years ago.

All a bit like a military operation.
I was told to stand on this spot and give my name and DOB to the person on the desk.
When asked I said '4737 Carlin, Sir!'
I said to the marshal stood near me, 'it's a bit like prison isn't it?'
No-one got the gag and the receptionist said 'pardon?'.

david1212

Established Member
The nurse asked me to put my arm by my side and drop the shoulder slightly to relax the muscles. Never felt the injection at all...

Likewise.

I had the AZ vaccine. After a few hours a slight pain in shoulder and left of neck as if bumped hard into something. This lasted a couple of days.
Late afternoon the next day I seemed slightly tired.

Overall very minor for the benefit.

Last edited:

johnnychips

Established Member
It is amazing how different people react, and it doesn’t seem to relate to age, general health or whether they have already had Covid.

I had a Yellow Fever jab about five years ago, and, reading the internet, was expecting a crappy few days, but there was literally nothing. The covid (Pfizer) jab gave me a sore arm and feeling a bit dopey for a couple of days.

Inversnecky

My wife just had hers this afternoon, seems to have had not reaction whatsoever.

Ah apologies, I didn’t mean to suggest the vaccine was ineffective!

What I meant to ask was, if a person experiences more severe side effects as a result of their immune system attacking the spike protein generated by the vaccination, would they have likely suffered more severe symptoms if exposed to Sars-CoV-2 whilst unvaccinated?

Perhaps not (perhaps this is more down to age, general health, the strength of the immune system and viral load?), but just something that came into my mind earlier.
It's hard to say - again, as I have no medical authority to speak, I can only refer to the BBC article referenced earlier.

We know that older people tend to suffer more from COVID, yet it would appear younger people tend to react more to the vaccine, so I'm not sure you'd be able to draw such a conclusion.

My wife (57) has had both her jabs.
She's had Pfizer.
Tough as old boots when it comes to illness, she's not one to give in to it easily.
The day after the first jab, she felt tired and lethargic and began to feel a little unwell, describing it like the onset of flu.
She couldn't do anything much and dozed for half the afternoon.
After a good night's sleep, she felt fine, although complained of a sore arm, for about a week or so.
After her 2nd jab, she just felt tired and a bit washed out for about 24 hours and that was it.

My wife's work colleagues have all had their first jab early on (due to the nature of their work).
They've all now had their 2nd.
They include 3 people in their late 20's, one in their 30's, 3 in their 40's, 4 in their 50's and the eldest is 61 years old.
2 males and 10 females.
All had Pfizer.
My wife said a couple of them reported a similar reaction to her, feeling tired, washed out and unwell the day after. The younger ones felt OK.

I've had my 1st dose of AZ.
Absolutely no side effects at all. In fact I didn't feel anything at all when the needle went in.
Hopefully the next one will be the same.

Our daughter (25 ) had her first AZ dose 2 weeks ago (she's joined the vaccine team).
A few hours later, she began to feel quite sick and eventually threw up. She felt rough for a couple more hours and later that evening she chucked again, but after that and a relaxing bath, she felt better.
She then slept like a log for 8 hours and woke up feeling completely fine, as if nothing had happened.

My elderly mother (91) has had 2x AZ.
No adverse reaction at all, on either occasion.

Mother-in-law (85) has had 2x Pfizer.
Again no reactions at all, except for large swelling and soreness from the 2nd needle.

I've read and heard that there are similar, random experiences across the population.
It seems there's no pattern based on age, sex, or type of jab.

Tracked

Established Member
I've got mine next Saturday, so I'll see what happens. Most people I know outside work haven't mentioned side-effects, the ones that have just had the feeling a bit off the day after, although at least one of these might have been due to post-vaccine beers.

Someone at work joked that we've had more staff off due to the vaccine than Covid, which isn't actually true, but when I see the names of people off sick from it I don't find them entirely surprising; If I mentioned that the one strong pattern amongst those sick from the vaccine is the correlation with them also having a large number of system problems whilst working from home. :|

Inversnecky

Funny, after I posted about my wife not having any side effects - about 18 hourse later, she got the shivers, etc, over in about two days, and nowhere as bad as me.

I've heard that being out of commission for a couple of days is more normal than not for AZ, and that medical staff are being given the Pfizer, so they don't lose lots of days off.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Funny, after I posted about my wife not having any side effects - about 18 hourse later, she got the shivers, etc, over in about two days, and nowhere as bad as me.

I've heard that being out of commission for a couple of days is more normal than not for AZ, and that medical staff are being given the Pfizer, so they don't lose losts of days off.
I've heard side effects more likely with AZ after first dose but it's the other way round for Pfizer.

My sister had Pfizer and felt unwell the next day after the first dose.
She said it felt like coming down with something and she had the shivers too.
12 hours later it had gone, but she had a sore arm for a few days.
She had no effects from her 2nd jab, but again had a sore arm for a while after.

Trackman

Established Member
5 days since my AZ jab (as per my previous post), just felt a bit tired but have been coughing during the night for the last 3 nights which isn't like me. Could be totally unrelated. No biggie. Seem to be firing on all cylinders now and the tiredness has near enough gone.

ryan125hst

Established Member
I was lucky enough to get my first vaccine on Tuesday 23rd March. I was surprised when I received the text to get a vaccine as, although I have had a couple of health issues over the last few years, I'm yet to receive any sort of diagnosis and so I though I'd have to wait until June or July at my age.

I was fine on the afternoon of the vaccine and thought I was perhaps a little tired that evening, but I remember feeling tired that morning anyway so I didn't think anything of it. Just before I went to bed I started to feel ill and suddenly started to shiver quite violently. That seemed to go fairly quickly but I didn't sleep well that night.

The next morning I had a very bad headache whenever I tried to lift my head or lie back down again and I was very sweaty/clammy. These symptoms seemed to pass quite quickly though and I was left feeling achy to the point where even sitting up to have a drink was hard work. I had to take the day off sick (first time ever!) and I stayed in bed all day. I still felt like eating luckily although I ate a lot less than I normally would.

I still wasn't fit enough for work on the Thursday although I was a lot better than I was the day before. I was still feeling unwell but the main issue was tiredness - even looking at my phone for a short time lead me to need to shut my eyes for half an hour or more so I couldn't have managed an 8 hour work day! I did manage to go downstairs for lunch although I went straight back to bed after, and got dressed out of my PJ's to go downstairs for dinner in the evening so I was definitely on the road to recovery by then.

I was back at work on the Friday. I was still feeling a bit under the weather but I was working from home so I managed OK. I was still feeling a bit off it until the Sunday and definitely recovered by the Monday.

I remember being excited about getting my vaccine before hand and then wondering what all the excitement was about as I lay in bad feeling awful. It doesn't bear thinking about how bad you must feel if you get the virus so I'm pleased I was offered and went for my jab.

Established Member
I had my second Pfizer jab on Thursday at 9.00 am. Slight soreness in my arm during the afternoon, more noticeable during the night. By Saturday I could feel a slight sensation if I pressed on my upper arm, and now it's entirely back to normal. That's similar to my experience after the first jab. It really hasn't amounted to much. Try a typhoid and cholera jab if you really want an interesting experience, and having observed a colleague after he'd had an anti-rabies injection 50 years ago that's one I'd definitely wish to avoid.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
having observed a colleague after he'd had an anti-rabies injection 50 years ago that's one I'd definitely wish to avoid.
One of the few medications with absolutely no contra-indications!

david1212

Established Member
Likewise.

I had the AZ vaccine. After a few hours a slight pain in shoulder and left of neck as if bumped hard into something. This lasted a couple of days.
Late afternoon the next day I seemed slightly tired.

Overall very minor for the benefit.

Since Sunday I have had a slight pain feeling like bruising in my upper arm rather than shoulder. Of course it may be totally unrelated but I can't think of anything I have done that would cause this and there is nothing visible.

Hence just wondering if anyone else has had a similar reaction after 2 1/2 - 3 weeks.

kingston_toon

Since Sunday I have had a slight pain feeling like bruising in my upper arm rather than shoulder. Of course it may be totally unrelated but I can't think of anything I have done that would cause this and there is nothing visible.

Hence just wondering if anyone else has had a similar reaction after 2 1/2 - 3 weeks.

Tomorrow marks three weeks since I had my first AZ jab and I've had exactly the same thing over the last day or two. It's very slight and not painful but I was thinking "that's a bit odd". I definitely haven't bashed it off anything.

No side effects whatsoever after the jab itself!

robbeech

Established Member
Had the AZ 4 weeks ago now. The common side effects it seems,

Didn't feel the needle at all, though i heard the plunger go on it.
Slept really well the first night (not like me at all at the moment),
felt really quite rough the next day, and worse still in the evening,
was much better but not 100% the day after.
My arm hurt for a surprisingly long time though, starting a little that evening, and getting steadily worse for 3 or 4 days and then steadily better over the next couple. Notable pain for almost a week. Nothing terrible, just notable discomfort.

People I know who have had the Pfizer jab seem to be experiencing more side effects after the second jab, they also seem to bringing forward most people second jab in my area by around 2 to 3 weeks.

Last edited:

johntea

Established Member
I had my second Pfizer jab yesterday at 5pm and am certainly feeling it more this morning than the first, a light headache (nothing too drastic), a sore left arm and a slightly upset stomach meaning I haven't got a great appetite at the moment

I think the clinics have been made aware there are potentially more effects second time round as they rattled off a long list of what I might experience for a few days and advised to just take some paracetamol to help (or call the relevant medical professionals for advice immediately if things got REALLY bad of course)

I must give a massive thumbs up to the vaccinators though, they're done before you even realize they've started!

Tracked

Established Member
Had mine yesterday, the Oxford jab, was alright until this morning when I had some soreness around where I'd had the injection. Have edited this slightly as I did mention a couple of things - a slight sore throat, feeling a bit sick first thing, and not feeling 100% - but on reflection they might have other causes, possibly involving one of the beers I had last night being a 10.2% stout!

Last edited:

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Not sure if news or not:

A&E departments are being swamped by people who have developed mild side-effects from the AstraZeneca vaccine amid concerns the jab causes blood clots. Emergency doctors told the Health Service Journal (HSJ) that a growing number of people are presenting to A&E units after having the jab.
Some have been advised to go to hospital by GPs.

Dr Katherine Henderson, the president of the Royal College of Emergency Medicine, confirmed this was the case to the Guardian.
“It’s definitely a thing,” she said.

“Colleagues across England are reporting this. All A&E departments are seeing an increase in the number of people reporting concerns after having the AstraZeneca vaccine.
“We are seeing people with mild headaches and persistent headaches but who are otherwise alright.”
Dr Henderson added that emergency departments and GPs are getting “a lot of queries” and thinks it’s an “understandable reaction by the public.”

Definately news, it's in the Health Service Journal:

Emergency clinicians have raised concerns and called for central guidance for dealing with a rush of unnecessary A&E attendances triggered by health anxiety over the Oxford covid vaccine’s safety.
Can't quote more as I don't have a subscription

Status
Not open for further replies.