• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vale of Glamorgan meet report

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A brief summary of my long trip.

* Had to get 0755 (far too early for my liking!) via Castleford, due to lack of through trains on a Sunday.

* No less than 3 people sat in front of me within earshot had invalid railcards and had to pay the full SOS fare. All were offered the chance to get an SOS to the next station then buy their railcard there and get the next train, but all opted to pay huge amounts more (up to £60 instead of £20) to stay on the same train! Barmy the lot of them!

* Just missed Joy54/Seth's (delayed) train by about 3 mins at Newport, meaning I missed the 37s from Cardiff (as I had expected - I had to wait ages at Newport).

* Saw some kids trespassing on the line at Newport, went to film them but they'd already been discovered by staff. They then ran off, 2 of them were rather slow and I managed to get a funny video of their attempt to escape, in which one of them got his clothes stuck on a fence. :lol: Serves him right for trespassing! <D

* At Bridgend I finally got to board the 37, where I met the others. It was incredibly crowded though and attempts to get a window were unsuccessful. If the huge crowds are anything to go by this line will be a great success! Even the 4-car pacer that was operating was very well loaded!

* Managed to get a window for the journey from Cardiff Bay to Bridgend 8)

* The 37s did a NON-STOP run to Rhymney at about 6pm :shock: , but unfortunately I could not take it or I'd never have got home!

* Had a very long journey back, again a long wait at Newport, a wait at Brum and 40 mins at Leeds, my bike chain came off on my trip back (20 min delay to fix it), I finally got home at 01:00!

Was it worth it? Well, yes, as fortunately I got (relatively) cheap tickets.

Hopefully others will post their reports on this meet below, I look forward to reading them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Met Driver

Established Member
*I met joy54 at Paddington at 0845. He was talking to a CSA as our train (0900 Swansea) didn't seem to be running.

*Unfortunately, this was the case, so we opted for the 0907 Weston-s-Mare service (we would change at BTM).

*When we arrived at Reading, it was announced that the train would be diverted via the Berks & Hants route and Trwobridge, so we opted for leaving the train (had we have stayed on we would have missed the 37 service we intended to catch from Cardiff).

*joy54 bought his ticket, and we waited for the following Swansea train (delayed, 1015 ex-Padd). This duly arrived and departed pretty quickly, but we stopped outside DP due to engineering works. After DP, the inspector questioned the validity of joy54's ticket and threatened to call BTP at Bristol P'way.

*Luckily, joy54 managed to worm his way out of trouble (won't go into that), and we reached Cardiff with time to spare until the 37s came in.

*We met the others on the platform, and all boarded a (very) crowded train full of enthusiasts etc. As we pulled into Bridgend, we saw yorie on the platform and duly met up with him.

*See yorkie's story for further details of 37s.

*Me, yorkie and HSTfan got out at Central (having come back from Bridgend and Cardiff Bay) boarded a 158 which was terminating at Newport.

*HSTfan left here. Luckily for me, there was a London train due shortly and I caught this back to Padd, having said bye to yorkie.

All in all a very fun meet. Bring on Rhymney 37s!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
joy54 said:
If the 0755 from York went via Castleford did it also go via Goole?
Goole is on the line from Hull to Doncaster (direct - avoiding Selby), so no.

Jim

Established Member
setttt said:
*When we arrived at Reading, it was announced that the train would be diverted via the Berks & Hants route and Trwobridge, so we opted for leaving the train (had we have stayed on we would have missed the 37 service we intended to catch from Cardiff).

You went past my house then :D

Jim

Met Driver

Established Member
Jim said:
setttt said:

You went past my house then :D

Jim

We would have, but we changed at Reading and went direct via Wootton Bassett Junction and Bath.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
joy54 said:
Sorry I meant Sherbert in Elmet, I got confused.

I wouldn't have thought so, as Sherburn in Elmet only serves the Dearn valley and some Hull-York trains.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
right heres my report

-- Left home and rode my 125 to Trowbridge then bought my ticket at about £9 SSR.

-- got the 1001 Trowbridge - Cardiff Central, expecting a 158 to turn up, it was a bloomin Wessex bog unit! :(

-- got on, sat on the airline seats wich are REALLY cramped for me anyway but it was fairly packed so had no choice!
Ticket got unstamped on the way up, if none on the way back I can use it again!

-- we were late, but turn around time at BTM lead to a fast 2 min turn around then left just on time

-- now its Newport and Cardiff as next sops and its Bog Unit Thrash on the up main but by Pilning my rear end was starting to go numb, bloody uncomfortable seats!

-- got off at Central, called Jim, but they were coming back from Canton bridge, but Jim thought I said meet at Pompey end at Plat 6/7 when I said Swansea!

-- Finally met Alun, Jim and his dad at Swansea end, then we went to platform 4 to see the 37s where we then met Joy54.

-- got on the 37s and I managed to grab a window all the way to Bridgend.
Left Cardiff with 411 on front with some right thrash out the station

-- TangyTango bumped into me just as we were passing Canton, then I done non stop heads out to Bridgend (except for a guy who decided to throw me away from the window to film the 37 from a standing start, bloody rude!)

-- got to Bridgend, 37s went out the platform to turn around into the same platform again for no apparent reason, Jim said its probably so other people can get windows for heads out...well I woulnd't of thought so...

-- saw Yorkie and DLA on the train had a chat about things then I got told we were going to Cardiff Bay after Queen Street! excellent!!!

-- went to the Bay on the 37s, great run done heads out on that line now
then done 'fags out' on the way to Queen street, again excellent lol.

-- Got off at Queen Street, ran to the Spar shop for food and drink, then ran back up and filmed 411 thrash out of Queen Street heading to Bridgend.

-- I got a Pacer to Central then decided to go and tick off Barry. Got to Barry and got a photo of 73 133 in the yard and saw the class 14 on the preserved line.

-- Picked up the 37s at Barry back to Central, where only Jim was on this train he got a goodie bag, but he said there was none left when I got on :(

-- We got off at Central, went to M&S for some food, then I went to pick up ATW TT E, then we went to platform 1 where they got on 158968 whilst I had a fag, then went on and left as the 1830 Cardiff - Portsmouth Harbour.

-- Arrived at Trowbridge at 1958, then Jim and his dad went home and I rode my motorbike back to Melksham.

This was a REALLY good meet, cant wait for the Rhymney 37 meet!

big up to Julian who originally planned the meet who couldnt attend but he said Alun was allocated to be host, but well done to Alun who made sure it went well!

cheers,
James.

DLA365

My trip report in point form:

*got the 06:24 259 bus from Edmonton Angel Corner to Kings Cross

*changed there for the 73 to Victoria (got in at 07:27)

*boarded 50138 which was the last ever Swansea Megabus departure at Green Line coach station

*departed 08:02; arrived 11:00

*got the 11:30 train to Barry Island. Stayed on board until it returned to Barry

*waited until 12:53 for the 37 to Cardiff Central. Meanwhile I saw RT227 and a RML with blinds for the 6 at Barry Station running a tourn for the Festival of Transport

*Stayed on the 37 from Cardiff to Bridgend (this was my only opportunity at a window)

*Rode on the 37 back to Cardiff Central, on to Cardiff Bay (which was a bit of a surprise!) and back to Barry

*Caught a pacer back to Cardiff Central, had my mean and took 13608 (Leyland Olympian) back to London Victoria

*Boarded RML901 on the 38 and went as far as Dalston Junction where I changed to a bendy bus on the 149 back home

Jim

Established Member
My trip went as follows

*I got up at 6 am
*Found some old photos of me in cabs to show off :D ( 205, 03, 37411 )
*Left my house at 0902
*Was going to meet James but he yhought I was going to get the 1104 from Trowbridge :roll:
*158967 turned up with an Engine Down :D :lol:
*Sat in the downed Coach. Through the Severn Tunnel we had Emergency Lights only
*Met Alun in Newport to hear a 37 had rolled through with STEEL :shock:
*Got to Cardiff & there was a huge queue for the Ticket Windows. We told Sprinter & DLA 365 to hold the doors open on the 142 but they did not bother. We heard the dispatchers Whistle 2 times. The 2nd had just been blown when we were going up the stairs.
*Went to Canton Bridge & saw the Low 08 ( I don't now how to do Images :?: <D )
*When walking back, James called me & said he was at the Pompey end. ( I thought )
*He was not there so we went to Penarth as it was about to leave
*Went to get a cab pick & got one.
*Got the 37s to Bridgend.
*Went back to :!: CARDIFF BAY!!!!! :!: :!: :!:
*We went back to Bridgend & back & met James at BArry on the RTN
*Went to M&S & got a Loaf of Bread, Bottle of Ketchup & bacon ( cooked ) rashers :!: :!: (DADS IDEA)
*Went back home
*Got in at 8

Jim
Pictures on the Website by Sunday

joy54.gen

Also my trip in point form:

* Got the 0801 Southern service from Gipsy Hill to Balham
* Got the Northern Line (which came immediatly) to Stockwell
* Got the Victoria Line (again a 30 second wait) to Oxford Circus
* Got to Bakerloo Line (a 1 minute wait) to Paddington
* Got out of the station to realise no 0900 to Bridgend like the website I checked said.

Then same as Seth's trip report until Barry when I left with DLA365, so it is same as DLA365's trip reort after that.

* After leaving the megabus I saw DLA365 onto his RML and waited for my train at 2138
* Arrived home at about 2205

Sprinter

My trip report

--Boarded the 0718 (second train of the day) from Walthamstow to Victoria
--Arrived Victoria at 0747 and walked down to pick up my Megabus, the bus was 50138 and sat down in the crew seats.
--Had a good run along the M4 and arrived Cardiff slightly early at around 1105
--Walked to Cardiff Central, bought the Valley's Explorer for £7 and just we left the front of the queue, Jim joined the rear!
--Me and DLA365 decided to do the 1130 to Barry Island and back to Barry (Town) to await the 37s back to Cardiff
--The nixt train indicator was rather confused when it came to the new Bridgend trains, it didn't even recopgnise the Bridgend Pacer until it was approaching the platform!
--Boarded the 37s (10 late!) to Cardiff Central, this journey was rather quiet, seats spare in all coaches!
--When the 37s reached Cardiff Central, many people piled on. Manged to find James
--At Bridgend we were all required to alight, but when it came back onto the platform I boadred and quickly got a window all the way to Cardiff Bay!!
--The 37s then returned to Queen Street and waited there for about 20 minutes before returning to Bridgend, I bailed at Cardiff Central.
--Did some spotting of trains at Cardiff until 1725 whereby I left to pick up my Megabus home
--The Megabus home was 13608 and had a full load, good job 10 people didn't turn up as I don't know where the luggage would of gone (being a Olmypian).
--Got back to Victiria, threw everyone off then me and the driver went back to Leyton depot
--Got an empty route 357 from there to Walthamstow Central and walked home from there.

Throughly enjoyable meet, bring on the 37s on Rhymney!

DLA365

We told Sprinter & DLA 365 to hold the doors open on the 142 but they did not bother. We heard the dispatchers Whistle 2 times. The 2nd had just been blown when we were going up the stairs.
Exactly - trains are supposed to depart on time and you were too late - it would have been stupid of me and Sprinter to delay a train especially when we had no idea where you were at the exact time of departure.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Well said DLA. ATW will hold their trains for a connection, usually only if the service is infrequent (usually the case on Sundays with the Valleys services to Merthyr, Treherbert, etc), this being occasionally true at night or early morning. However, you really should make an effort to be on time. ATW WON'T hold trains for you if you're unable to make the train in time and you've got another train coming soon.

Anyway, back to the topic. It certainly sounds like everyone had fun, I regret to some extents that I did not go. Nevertheless, I shall almost definately make the Rhymney meet.

heart-of-wessex, you shall receive a PM shortly.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
heart-of-wessex said:
right heres my report

-- Left home and rode my 125 to Trowbridge then bought my ticket at about £9 SSR.

-- got the 1001 Trowbridge - Cardiff Central, expecting a 158 to turn up, it was a bloomin Wessex bog unit! :(

-- got on, sat on the airline seats wich are REALLY cramped for me anyway but it was fairly packed so had no choice!
Ticket got unstamped on the way up, if none on the way back I can use it again!

-- we were late, but turn around time at BTM lead to a fast 2 min turn around then left just on time

-- now its Newport and Cardiff as next sops and its Bog Unit Thrash on the up main but by Pilning my rear end was starting to go numb, bloody uncomfortable seats!

-- got off at Central, called Jim, but they were coming back from Canton bridge, but Jim thought I said meet at Pompey end at Plat 6/7 when I said Swansea!

-- Finally met Alun, Jim and his dad at Swansea end, then we went to platform 4 to see the 37s where we then met Joy54.

-- got on the 37s and I managed to grab a window all the way to Bridgend.
Left Cardiff with 411 on front with some right thrash out the station

-- TangyTango bumped into me just as we were passing Canton, then I done non stop heads out to Bridgend (except for a guy who decided to throw me away from the window to film the 37 from a standing start, bloody rude!)

-- got to Bridgend, 37s went out the platform to turn around into the same platform again for no apparent reason, Jim said its probably so other people can get windows for heads out...well I woulnd't of thought so...

-- saw Yorkie and DLA on the train had a chat about things then I got told we were going to Cardiff Bay after Queen Street! excellent!!!

-- went to the Bay on the 37s, great run done heads out on that line now
then done 'fags out' on the way to Queen street, again excellent lol.

-- Got off at Queen Street, ran to the Spar shop for food and drink, then ran back up and filmed 411 thrash out of Queen Street heading to Bridgend.

-- I got a Pacer to Central then decided to go and tick off Barry. Got to Barry and got a photo of 73 133 in the yard and saw the class 14 on the preserved line.

-- Picked up the 37s at Barry back to Central, where only Jim was on this train he got a goodie bag, but he said there was none left when I got on :(

-- We got off at Central, went to M&S for some food, then I went to pick up ATW TT E, then we went to platform 1 where they got on 158968 whilst I had a fag, then went on and left as the 1830 Cardiff - Portsmouth Harbour.

-- Arrived at Trowbridge at 1958, then Jim and his dad went home and I rode my motorbike back to Melksham.

This was a REALLY good meet, cant wait for the Rhymney 37 meet!

big up to FGWFan who originally planned the meet who couldnt attend but he said HSTFan!!! was allocated to be host, but well done to Alun who made sure it went well!

cheers,
James.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
lol well i'm glad my efforts to keep this meet running smoothly went ok, even if me, jim and his dad did lose tangy and DLA at Cardiff Central lol! I would post a report but its pretty much a mix of everyone elses.

Joined Jim and his dad on a 158 and 150/2 with a dead engine on the 158

Got to cardiff where we decided to get our rovers, where we found tangy and DLA at the head of the queue, they rushed to get the barry train.

We missed the Barry train and decided a walk to canton would be good, we then phoned mr. heart of wessex who was waiting at swansea end of platform 7 (jim however misinterpreted the call to thinking he was at pompey end)

Joined Penarth train without hear-of-wessex who was chatting to another spotter as we passed him. - Got a cab pic at penarth, got stuck at some danger lights etc.

Got to cardiff in time for the 37s where we met joy54 and seth.

got to bridgend to meet yorkie, joined the 37s back to cardiff, on to Cardiff Bay

Then did the bridgend run (a quieter train) on the 37's

Joined a 158 with yorkie and seth back to newport where I left for my house!

Status
Not open for further replies.