• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vale of Rheidol Aberystwyth Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
SSE Enterprise is an energy, cabling and telecoms company - I assume it is, or possibly was, part of Scottish and Southern Energy. In view of that, and the signs stating that they are working in partnership with Network Rail, it seems unlikely that they are working on the new carriage shed, unless there is NR cabling or other equipment in the way which is being moved.
Not that that helps much with what they are doing though ☹

talerddig

SSE Enterprise is an energy, cabling and telecoms company - I assume it is, or possibly was, part of Scottish and Southern Energy. In view of that, and the signs stating that they are working in partnership with Network Rail, it seems unlikely that they are working on the new carriage shed, unless there is NR cabling or other equipment in the way which is being moved.
Not that that helps much with what they are doing though ☹
Or the new shed needs electricity - just a thought...

michaelh

I have to say I’m a little likewarm about the V of R having moved from what seemed like a prime spot in the centre of the action at the mainline station, to a location that’s in all fairness a little tucked out of the way. However their plans do seem quite well thought through, and to be fair they’ve clearly put a lot of thought into the design of the new station, so hopefully it will all work out for the best. I can’t help but be a little cynical to read that part of the rationale was to make the platform nearer the car park (presumably so the biddies on coach tours don’t have to walk a few yards!).

The new platform is more civilised for sure, the layout at the old platform with everything being concentrated down one end did lead to a scrum at times. It could be like dogs being released from a pen, the sudden frenzied dash to the train in order to secure the best seats!

The V of R is a superb railway and is run by a first-rate team of people, so they deserve every success with this.

Virtually none of their passengers arrive by mainline trains, so it was hardly a prime spot. Much more important to be accessible by road with good car parking facilities for families - I won't repeat your insulting comment about coach tour visitors.

AHoseason

I recall that part of Charing Cross station roof was obtained for use at Aberystwyth but have not seen this mentioned recently. I wonder if it will be part of the carriage shed in the old platform area?

talerddig

The plan is to incorporate the London bridge canopy in a future building, as a narrow gauge museum. The museum will house the engines currently stored (and awaiting restoration) This would be over by the workshops. It's a long term project, as these things don't pop up overnight.
As a start, the existing carriage storage (the original 2 road GWR engine shed) will be converted for use as a display area and events centre. the first steps have been to update the existing infrastructure to make it accessible and not sprawled across a large area.

AHoseason

The plan is to incorporate the London bridge canopy in a future building, as a narrow gauge museum. The museum will house the engines currently stored (and awaiting restoration) This would be over by the workshops. It's a long term project, as these things don't pop up overnight.
As a start, the existing carriage storage (the original 2 road GWR engine shed) will be converted for use as a display area and events centre. the first steps have been to update the existing infrastructure to make it accessible and not sprawled across a large area.

Thanks for confirming that. I have no doubt that an excellent job will be done

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I visited the railway last year and had a tour of the workshop, during which we spoke about their plans.

I had the impression that they knew what they wanted to do and were planning how to do it. However, they weren't going to start the work until the funds were available to complete it, which was also being worked on.

The workshop looked pretty busy. It was dealing with the restoration of one of their own locos (No. 1213, I think) and the conversion of a coach to allow it's use by disabled passengers, together with work on locos etc. from other railways on a contract basis, so it looks as if they've got a good reputation.

I may be able to visit again next Summer, so it will be interesting to see what's happened in the period since my last visit.

talerddig

Hi EbbwJunction1

It would have been number 7 and the summer carriage, both now in revenue earning service.

Current workshop plans in no particular order of priority:

Returning Ngg13 'Garratt' to steam for early summer
Returning Baldwin 4-6-0PT '10-12-D' to steam (as 590) for end summer
Returning Welshpool Llanfair 822 'The Earl' to steam Q1/Q2
Work on no. 9/1213 ('Prince of Wales') as 10 year boiler ticket expires early 2020
Completion of redesigned 1st/3rd brake coach 11 to include ramp access and start same job on number 12

Also on the railway

construction of new 3 road carriage shed, reinstatement of path from main railway station
open new car park at Devil's Bridge
build new booking office/shop in site of old shop and yard
convert existing booking office/shop to cafe

and finally

release of 'Vale of Rheidol, measured and drawn' by Stephen Phillips

Another busy year!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Thanks, Talerddig, for your comprehensive list of the activities inside the works and elsewhere.

I knew that they were busy, but I didn't realise how busy - it goes to show how much work goes on "behind the scenes" when we're not looking!

My best wishes to everyone involved.

E759

Hi EbbwJunction1

It would have been number 7 and the summer carriage, both now in revenue earning service.

Current workshop plans in no particular order of priority:

Returning Ngg13 'Garratt' to steam for early summer
Returning Baldwin 4-6-0PT '10-12-D' to steam (as 590) for end summer
Returning Welshpool Llanfair 822 'The Earl' to steam Q1/Q2
Work on no. 9/1213 ('Prince of Wales') as 10 year boiler ticket expires early 2020
Completion of redesigned 1st/3rd brake coach 11 to include ramp access and start same job on number 12

Also on the railway

construction of new 3 road carriage shed, reinstatement of path from main railway station
open new car park at Devil's Bridge
build new booking office/shop in site of old shop and yard
convert existing booking office/shop to cafe

and finally

release of 'Vale of Rheidol, measured and drawn' by Stephen Phillips

Another busy year!
VoR Measured and Drawn! Can’t wait for that. I have the L&B M&D and it is a superb book. Thanks for the heads up.

talerddig

Measured & Drawn will feature all stock and infrastructure built for the VOR. A comprehensive history of the line is being released by Peter Johnson about April next year, via Pen & Sword. :)

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
A comprehensive history of the line is being released by Peter Johnson about April next year, via Pen & Sword. :)

I'll have to look out for that one, thanks.

There's nothing at the moment on it on the P&S web site, so any information you have on it will be appreciated in due course, please.

talerddig

New Carriage Storage and Conservation Store : Within our Aberystwyth site we are developing a three road storage shed to house our Heritage fleet of carriages but also to enable us to move items from the future multifunction display facility that will require protection from the elements. Alongside this, the shed will provide the railway with a store for future exhibits as the new Museum develops. The complete current train set of carriages will for the first time be housed separately from the steam locomotives ensuring a clean environment in which our dedicated staff can maintain them.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Thanks, that sounds very impressive.

Is this the building that's going to use the remains from London Bridge Station, please?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
It's slightly off topic, I know, but I've seen an article in the RCTS's Magazine "Railway Observer" for December 2019 which I thought that people might be interested in.

It's in their "Nostalgia Corner", and says that during the 1969 season, a record 52,090 people had travelled on the line, which had made an operating profit (although it's not said what it was). It also said that BR were gong to apply to the MoT for a block post and crossing loop to be installed at Aberffrwd to avoid the need for one train to reach either end before another can set out. BR hoped for a 10% increased in traffic if permission was given. [This has actually been done - along with one at Capel Bangor, although I don't know whether the forecast improvement in numbers was realised.]

All three locos were reported to be in good condition and were to be overhauled at Aberystwyth during the Winter. No. 9 was also to be re-tubed and to undergo wheel turning.

As I've said earlier in the thread, I visited the line about 18 months ago, and it brought back many memories of visiting there as a child (a long time ago!). It's on the list again for next year!

talerddig

It's slightly off topic, I know, but I've seen an article in the RCTS's Magazine "Railway Observer" for December 2019 which I thought that people might be interested in.

It's in their "Nostalgia Corner", and says that during the 1969 season, a record 52,090 people had travelled on the line, which had made an operating profit (although it's not said what it was). It also said that BR were gong to apply to the MoT for a block post and crossing loop to be installed at Aberffrwd to avoid the need for one train to reach either end before another can set out. BR hoped for a 10% increased in traffic if permission was given. [This has actually been done - along with one at Capel Bangor, although I don't know whether the forecast improvement in numbers was realised.]

All three locos were reported to be in good condition and were to be overhauled at Aberystwyth during the Winter. No. 9 was also to be re-tubed and to undergo wheel turning.

As I've said earlier in the thread, I visited the line about 18 months ago, and it brought back many memories of visiting there as a child (a long time ago!). It's on the list again for next year!
I believe the VOR is well in excess of 60,000 visitors these days annually :)

topydre

New Carriage Storage and Conservation Store : Within our Aberystwyth site we are developing a three road storage shed to house our Heritage fleet of carriages but also to enable us to move items from the future multifunction display facility that will require protection from the elements. Alongside this, the shed will provide the railway with a store for future exhibits as the new Museum develops. The complete current train set of carriages will for the first time be housed separately from the steam locomotives ensuring a clean environment in which our dedicated staff can maintain them.
It's proceeding at a rapid rate. I'd say the roof is maybe halfway over by now.

vor1.jpg vor2.jpg vor3.jpg

talerddig

I'll have to look out for that one, thanks.

There's nothing at the moment on it on the P&S web site, so any information you have on it will be appreciated in due course, please.
It's on there now! The VOR are matching the price, just saying... ;)

talerddig

Currently, one line has been concreted in to the new shed and most of the infrastructure cladding has been undertaken. There has been a relaying of rails on the straight before Capel Bangor over winter and the old rails are being utilised for the shed.

On completion, a larger booking office/shop will be built at the town end of the platform in the site of the old booking office and portakabins. This will allow the current building to be utilised as a cafe.

Work also being done on the Garratt's power bogies, the Baldwin firebox and the 'Earl's cab. As well as the 1st/3rd brake coach.

IMG_20200122_133451 (1).jpg

Llanigraham

Established Member
Drove past last week and it is looking good.
Shall also be in Aber tomorrow afternoon so shall have another look.

Status
Not open for further replies.