• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Valid After 08:45

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Just a quick question. If I was to use a Coast and Peaks 4-in-8 rover from Llandudno, which is valid after 08:45 on weekdays, would it be valid on the 08:45 service from Llandudno or would I have to wait until the 09:08? Not sure whether after 08:45 includes 08:45 :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanD

Established Member
The South Pennines Ranger has the same restriction and I've used it on the 0845 Bradford-Wakefield train with no problems.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The Manual says:

The Manual said:
Validity

On trains timed to depart from 08:45 Mondays to Fridays, anytime weekends and Bank Holidays.

Only valid within the area shown on the map below.

You are fine using the 0845.

Established Member
Note that is says 'Timed to Depart'. I've heard of people using Rovers on delayed trains (e.g. the 08.30 from Station X delayed by 15 minutes, so departs at or after 08.45) and of course the ticket isn't accepted.

IanD

Established Member
Note that is says 'Timed to Depart'. I've heard of people using Rovers on delayed trains (e.g. the 08.30 from Station X delayed by 15 minutes, so departs at or after 08.45) and of course the ticket isn't accepted.

As the publicly available publicity (rather that the mysterious The Manual ) says simply after 0845 then I don't see how it could be reasonable/enforceable to not accept a ticket on a delayed service.

NRE Coast and Peaks validity said:
Travel any 4 days in 8. After 08.45 Monday - Friday. Any train Weekends and Bank Holidays.

Darandio

Established Member
As the publicly available publicity (rather that the mysterious The Manual ) says simply after 0845 then I don't see how it could be reasonable/enforceable to not accept a ticket on a delayed service.

It does happen though, I have posted about it various times before.

At Redcar Central, 2D98 is timed to arrive at 08:43 and depart 08:44, it was generally always late though and would arrive at 08:45 or 08:46. The ticket office at Redcar were always adamant that if the train arrived late, it was irrelevant to me and insisted I buy a single to South Bank from where I could then use the Ranger/Rover.

island

Veteran Member
Some restrictions refer to trains timed/scheduled to depart/arrive; others just say valid after...

Established Member
Thanks for the useful answers guys :) Reason I ask is that the 08:45 Cambridge - Kings Cross is classed as a peak train, despite off-peak tickets being shown as 'valid after 08:45'.

IanD

Established Member
Thanks for the useful answers guys :) Reason I ask is that the 08:45 Cambridge - Kings Cross is classed as a peak train, despite off-peak tickets being shown as 'valid after 08:45'.

Coast and Peaks Rover is not valid on that service, I think you're misunderstanding what the Peak in the title means :lol:

SS4

Established Member

'After' being the key word. Meaning the off peak ticket is valid from 08:46 inclusive until the start of PM peak

If it were valid on the 08:45 I'd expect it to say "Valid at or after 08:45"

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
'After' being the key word. Meaning the off peak ticket is valid from 08:46 inclusive until the start of PM peak

If it were valid on the 08:45 I'd expect it to say "Valid at or after 08:45"

I agree with this definition. However, the guard may allow travel, at worst you would only have to buy a single to the next station.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Reason I ask is that the 08:45 Cambridge - Kings Cross is classed as a peak train, despite off-peak tickets being shown as 'valid after 08:45'.

I think there has been some confusion here. Restrictions apply to tickets, not to trains. What ticket did you have in mind? Both the Off-Peak Day Return from Cambridge to London Terminals and the Off-Peak Day Travelcard from Cambridge take restriction J8, which says
Restriction J8 said:
OUTWARD TRAVEL
By any train scheduled to
arrive at London Terminals
before 0430 and at or after
1000, Stratford International
or Stratford (London) after
0950, Tottenham Hale or Seven
Sisters after_0940.
So these tickets are valid on any train that arrives in London from 10am onwards, which means the 08:55 from Cambridge to King's Cross and later trains.

The Off-Peak Return from Cambridge to London Terminals takes restriction 5J, which says
Restriction 5J said:
OUTWARD TRAVEL:
By any train scheduled to
depart at or after 0930,
except

Also, at or after 0915 from
Bedford or Peterborough.
So the first train that this will be valid on is the 09:30 to King's Cross.

Last edited:
Depends how it is written!
Lancashire day ranger.
''Tickets are available for travel on trains timed to depart from 08:45 Mondays to Fridays and any time on weekends and Bank Holidays''

Coast and Peaks 4 in 8 Day Rover
''Travel any 4 days in 8. After 08.45 Monday - Friday. Any train Weekends and Bank Holidays.''
Most people would assume the 08.45 train would be ok for both rovers!
Otherwise they should write ''not valid before 08.46''

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
FWIW in the fares database the "CST PKS 4IN8 RVR" is shown as taking restriction code B4, which says
Restriction B4 said:
By any train except those
timed to depart Mondays to
Fridays before 0845
So trains departing at 0845 are explicitly allowed.

Established Member
Thanks again everyone, I'll give it a shot and if worst comes to worst, a single from Llandudno to Deganwy to wait for the 09:08 off Llandudno it is :lol: (Or, which I probably will do, just ask the guard before the train departs Llandudno)

IanD

Established Member
Thanks again everyone, I'll give it a shot and if worst comes to worst, a single from Llandudno to Deganwy to wait for the 09:08 off Llandudno it is :lol: (Or, which I probably will do, just ask the guard before the train departs Llandudno)

Or, if the guard says no (unlikely), get a single from Llandudno to Deganwy and stay on the train as it will be after 0845 at Deganwy. Or just get on the 0908 at Llandudno as it will be after 0845 at Llandudno.

Status
Not open for further replies.