• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Validity of Off-Peak return with overnight break of journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trawscymru27

I am at university in Durham and I have an interview next Thursday in Aberystwyth. My parents live in North Shropshire and I plan to travel there the day before the interview and stay the night with them. They live roughly half-way between Whitchurch and Welshpool stations, so my planned trip is:

day 1: Durham - Whitchurch (Shrops)

day 2: Welshpool - Aberystwyth and later on Aberystwyth - Durham.

I think via Manchester is a permitted route for Aberystwyth - Durham, so my question is, will an Off-Peak Return at £87.70 (with a railcard) be valid for this trip considering I will use the outward portion over two days and I will alight at one station and re-board at another, even though they both lie on the permitted route? Or will I need to buy three separate single tickets at greater cost?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dquebec

The Off Peak Return 8A restriction (on this ticket) prevents Break of Journey on the outward leg, so you couldn't leave at an intermediate station and travel the second day.

You'd need the Anytime ticket with 5 days available for the outward leg.

(i.e. you need the £112.95 fare)

Last edited:

furlong

Established Member
The Off Peak Return 8A restriction (on this ticket) prevents Break of Journey on the outward leg, so you couldn't leave at an intermediate station and travel the second day.

An overnight stop is not necessarily a break of journey:

stay in overnight accommodation when you cannot reasonably complete your journey within one day

(NRCOC 16)

trawscymru27

You'd need the Anytime ticket with 5 days available for the outward leg.

(i.e. you need the £112.95 fare)

I think the £112.95 ticket is still cheaper than three singles, so that's really helpful. Thanks!

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Split ticketing could be a good option here too. Something like:

Off-Peak Return Durham to Manchester £42.65
Off-Peak Return Manchester to Whitchurch £14.15
Anytime Day Return Welshpool to Aberystwyth £9.85 (minimum fare of £12 if it's a 16-25 railcard and travelling before 10am)
Off-Peak Day Single Welshpool to Whitchurch £8.40

That comes out at £77.20. You could also use advances between Durham and Manchester (possibly splitting at York) to bring it down further, if you know what times you'll be travelling at.

trawscymru27

Split ticketing could be a good option here too. Something like:

Off-Peak Return Durham to Manchester £42.65
Off-Peak Return Manchester to Whitchurch £14.15
Anytime Day Return Welshpool to Aberystwyth £9.85 (minimum fare of £12 if it's a 16-25 railcard and travelling before 10am)
Off-Peak Day Single Welshpool to Whitchurch £8.40

That comes out at £77.20. You could also use advances between Durham and Manchester (possibly splitting at York) to bring it down further, if you know what times you'll be travelling at.

That's brilliant. Thanks!

Romilly

Established Member
First, I agree that the ticket you mention is valid for journeys via Whitchurch.

But second, the ticket carries restriction 8A which means it is not valid for break of journey on the outward journey.

So I would suggest the following combination of tickets (all prices quoted include 16-25 discount):

Durham-Stockport "via Manchester" offpeak return: £44.75

Stockport-Whitchurch day single: £11.05

Welshpool-Aberystwyth anytime day return: £12 (or £9.85 if Welshpool-Aberystwyth journey starts after 10am)

Welshpool-Stockport anytime day single: £18.15

Total: £85.95

You will have to travel via Manchester, and call at Stockport, in both directions (and at Welshpool on the return journey) but that would be the default route on the return journey so far as I can see and all obvious itineraries appear to involve trains that call at Stockport and Welshpool.

Alternatively, there may be combinations of Advance tickets (allowing travel only on the trains specified when booking) that could reduce the total price.

EDIT: this is similar to Indigo2's suggestion, but that suggestion requires you to be on trains that stop at Whitchurch (Shrops) on the return journey, which if you leave Aberystwyth on the 1330 or 1730 would require extended waits (of just over 90 minutes) at Shrewsbury for a Manchester-bound train that stops at Whitchurch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.