• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Valley loco-hauleds to return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waiting in some far corner of the country for a 37
The following was posted on the wnxx forum

Fred Kerr on WNXX said:
Report from reliable source that Rhymney is on standby to begin loco haulage following ATW meeting this afternoon. Dates / Times not yet confirmed but I, for one, am already negotiating for family holiday in Wales !!

Lets just hope some truth is in it...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jdjonnay

6M60....etc etc, why do you spell "Bont Y Bermot" like you have in your sig?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
6M60 SEATON FLASKS said:
*looks at advance purchase Gner Tickets*

prepares form thunder in the valleys again 8) 8)
Tip: you can't get them to Rhymney or even Cardiff. Instead, book to Bristol, and get a CDR to Rhymney from there ;) (Or book seperately with GNER/FGW)

If this does happen (BIG IF) then we can look into organising a meet.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think this might just be about foot/rugexs like there was last year from Crewe to Cardiff

TheSlash

Established Member
I wouldn't be surprised if a pair of 67's turned up, i can't see why TOCs want to use clapped out 40 year old locos

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It HAS already been officially stated that locos and carriages are to be used on FootEx or RugEx duties...50031 and 049 are to be used soon apparently down the Marches for such duties...Now THAT will be a sight, a 50 in Hereford...

*Prepares the drool buckets, gets cameras charged*

The 37 Fan

Come on, this is a load of rumors here, fact is EWS 37/4'S are NOT going to be on it (thanks to my EWS guy for that info) Finally you wont get 50031 or 50049 yet as they are being overhalued at Old Oak Common, 50049 with underframe being worked on and 50031 with no roof pannels being worked on.

Best bet is a class 47, either 47815/839/843/847

and yes EWS 67's are also very likely, nothing special, why bother

TheSlash

Established Member
FGWFan said:
It HAS already been officially stated that locos and carriages are to be used on FootEx or RugEx duties...50031 and 049 are to be used soon apparently down the Marches for such duties...Now THAT will be a sight, a 50 in Hereford...

*Prepares the drool buckets, gets cameras charged*
You definetly won't get 50's. To work out the chances of what you get, you need to include whats available, whats cheap, what can work T&T with the right coaches and what the locos weight is. Hauling a dead 37 {on the back} is the same as hauling 2.5 empty coaches {being generous on weight, otherwise i would say hauling 3.1 coaches}
When you think you have all that, include, what will replace it and/or rescue it if it fails, how much will servicing cost, how many people are trained to service that type of loco etc etc etc

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yeah, OK, fair enough. I'm just saying what has been said from ATF that they are planning to use the Fifty Fund's 50031 and 049 on ADEXs with them on the Marches this season. When I don't know, but they're coming. Hopefully. Knowing ATF's record, they'll stop that plan soon enough and plan to put something far from suitable on. I hope 47s aren't used again, that's getting boring.

Beaker

Established Member
It may be cheaper though getting 50s as the gorup want money and liek to see 50s on mainline and will probably ride in the back cab just incase it goes cough cough dead.

It happened before on the valleys why not again. But i hear it is just for fotty specials and on thr rhymney days when it is specail and the ground (cardiff rugby pitch)

metrocammel

With the reported current state of the 50's it is unlikely.... though havent ATW signed a contract with the "Fifty Fund" to supply loco's for the likes of Footex's & Rugex's. I heard this back in December, after the EWS 37/4 contract finished.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That depends on what coaches were used with the 67 paul1609. Might have been a Serco test train, I don't know, Jim is the one to ask there.

Rhymney has less of a case of being upgraded for 67s than a certain other route which has potential for it...Rhymney's not exactly a fast line, and would be a waste of potential for the 67s.

Status
Not open for further replies.