• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Vandals close part of the Newcastle Metro

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Established Member
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4395378.stm

Part of the Tyne and Wear Metro system had to be closed for more than 24 hours because of a vandal attack.
Metro operator Nexus said vital equipment needed to provide power to part of the network in North Tyneside had been damaged early on Tuesday.

Services between Wallsend and North Shields will be suspended until at least midday on Wednesday.

A Nexus spokesman warned the incident could have a knock-on effect to other routes on the network.

Essential equipment

A Nexus spokesman said: "Unfortunately, we are unable to restore Metro services between Wallsend and North Shields for the remainder of Tuesday and for the start of service on Wednesday.

"We apologise to passengers for the disruption and urge them to make alternative travel arrangements for Wednesday morning.

"The problem has been caused as a result of someone tampering with an essential piece of equipment at the side of the tracks.

"We totally condemn such acts and if anyone has any information about who is responsible, or has seen anything, then they should get in contact with Northumbria Police so the culprits can be brought to justice."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Mindless vandalism or a deliberate sabotage (in the case of the Midlands things)? Probably the former I guess.

:roll:

Harry Potter said:
Tyne and Wear Metro

More like the chav express.

A woman was dragged off the Metro at St Peter's(Sunderland) by a group of females and then beaten up, appartnely the group said "she was dressed funny" the metro system is very unsafe!

evil_hippo

20's TILL I DIE! said:
More like the chav express.

A woman was dragged off the Metro at St Peter's(Sunderland) by a group of females and then beaten up, appartnely the group said "she was dressed funny" the metro system is very unsafe!

I still can't say I've ever felt unsafe on the metro, even on the chavtastic southern side of the loop.

Craig

Established Member
evil_hippo said:
I still can't say I've ever felt unsafe on the metro, even on the chavtastic southern side of the loop.
It's generally ok, but it can sometimes be a bit dubious on an evening though.

richa2002

Established Member
Whenever my Dad and I go up every 6 weeks on a Saturday it is absolutely terrible. If anyone really wants to see chav culture just jump on the Metro to Pelaw.

Angus

I regularly use the Metro (and have been all my life) and I think it's great - definitely the best public transport system in Britain outside London, although I'd be very wary using it late at night, or when anywhere near Sunderland (but then who'd want to go anywhere near Sunderland anyway?).

Now just to let you know Richard Armstrong my home station is Pelaw and there is not much bother there anymore as they have done it all up! tthey have put new rooves up and put a new under cover waiting area in!

richa2002

Established Member
Hi. Like I said in my post I travel up there every 6 weeks. I wonder when it's due to finish! They seem to be making a big job of it.

Just to let you know i have been down there tonight and to my amazment they have finished itn all, about time aswell they have really dragged their heels with it, but i am happy to say that is is all open with an under cover waiting room like the ones at Railway stations, i think it looks very good and i am pleased:D .

Status
Not open for further replies.