Vandals wreck model railway exhibition following break in at Welland Academy, Stamford

Discussion in 'Modelling, Simulations & Games' started by rdlover777, 18 May 2019.

1. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

What has got to give exactly? One single example of unreasonable behaviour from a parent proves what exactly?

I try my damdest as a parent with my kids but people like you tar everybody with the same brush the very second they make a little bit of noise or don't fit into your perfect utopian world view.

2. fowler9

fowler9 Established Member

Indeed I only gave one example but I could have mentioned kids who burned down the nursery over the road from my sister's house. Kids riding motorbikes on the pavements in our area. Kids setting fire to wheely bins in Garston park and the playpark therein.

I am sure you are a good parent but my example wasn't of someone's kids not complying with a Utopian world view. It was kids going wild, the parent defending them and making death threats, the plane being nearly diverted and a girl under sixteen bring restrained by the police.

3. talltim

talltim Established Member

If I was in the army I'd get very annoyed every time someone suggested national service for criminal youths. Would you want your workplace to become a dumping ground for undesirables?

4. fowler9

Indeed. I work with the MOD and have family and friends in the forces who are understandably offended at the suggestion of dumping the country's undersirables there as though "Anyone can do it".

5. Peter Kelford

Peter Kelford Member

Doesn't chucking delinquents into the army just create a 'boot camp' stereotype and discourage genuine recruits from enlisting? These delinquents should be distributed all over the public services group of organisations, not just the armed forces. Charities, 999 services, armed forces, HM Government, local councils etc.

6. kristiang85

kristiang85 Member

I said "many" not "all"...

7. GrimShady

GrimShady Established Member

Bring back Borstals

8. Peter Kelford

Peter Kelford Member

They still exist but have had to be renamed for political correctness. Now called an HMP YOI. 6 month there like any other prison will sadly lead just to reoffending.

9. DaveHarries

DaveHarries Established Member

This story made me beyond furious when I read it. The morons (to put it politely) should be tied to a train track and have a steam engine driven over them.
    As for the fundraising the target has gone up and up, as has the money raised. Just checked now and, with the target at £75,000, the amount raised - as I write this (11:25pm, 26th May 2019) - on the JustGiving page is £105,505 from 5373 people, thereby making the average contribution at £19.64 to the nearest whole penny.

Dave

10. satisnek

satisnek Member

Absolutely shocking, but thankfully extremely rare - I have never heard of anything like this before in my life, and I've been going to model railway exhibitions since I was a kid.

Many years ago I was actively involved in overnight security for a model railway exhibition - it was simply myself and another club member camped out on the floor in sleeping bags. From what I can remember it was to fulfil the insurance conditions that the exhibits and trade stock were never left unattended. OK, so it was a slightly larger show than this one, but I'm surprised that there was apparently no insurance in place here.

11. Peter Kelford

Peter Kelford Member

I spoke with the MDMRC secretary and he has confirmed that the insurance people are coming, so there is an insurance policy. I think you're onto something about camping though. Maybe some incentives could be offered by bot the club and exhibitors, for instance:

1. An invitation to operate one or two of the layouts on show.
    2. A donated kit or two by a trader
    3. DVDs/Books to borrow from a trader
    4. A free waggon or building from a trader
    Or even free (reasonable) reign over store items and a pre-made baseboard with the instruction of 'build a micro layout for tomorrow'?

12. Belperpete

Belperpete Member

I think the main thing that has changed since I was young is that strangers are now very reluctant to confront youths who are misbehaving. Yes, there are some parents who would object, but I suspect that most would be quite happy for their child to be reprimanded if doing wrong. Unfortunately the press have blown up those cases where it has gone wrong to the level that many adults are now frightened to confront a misbehaving child. Also, when I was young, my parents knew virtually everybody in our road, which reduced the chances of any confrontation - and also me and my siblings knew if we did anything wrong, it would soon get back to our parents. If a child is not challenged about small transgressions, they will inevitably progress to worse things.

Insurance can never make up for the many man-hours time devoted to building a model. Even with an off-the-shelf model, it may not be possible to replace it if that particular model is no longer being produced. Valuing such things can be very difficult.

I am surprised that they didn't have overnight security, but I suspect that if it were only their own layouts they might not have thought it worth it. Or perhaps the venue has their own security arrangements. I suspect that some venues might not accept people sleeping overnight in them, although this probably just needs some tactful wording about what the "security guard" is going to be doing.

One thing that I have been unable to discover from the press reports is if there were any visiting layouts or exhibits affected? It is one thing to have your own stuff trashed, it is far worse if you feel partly responsible for someone else's stuff being trashed.

13. Master29

Master29 Established Member

But wasn`t this the original point to change them from feral animals into self respecting individuals? Scum are not born scum. It`s a prevailing ethos amongst certain groups that allow such attitudes of letting the world burn to grow. There are some things that this country has a lot to answer for.

14. LOL The Irony

LOL The Irony Established Member

Then send them to a millitary school (those are still a thing) or if they're old enough, conscription.

15. Samuel88

Samuel88 Member

Does the army really want these scrotes though? There's a reason why you can't join the armed forces if you have a criminal record!

16. jon0844

jon0844 Veteran Member

You could use them as target practice.

17. fowler9

Cracking idea.