• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Varenna to malpensa

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdrennan

I will be travelling from an overnight stop in Varenna to Malpensa Airport on 22nd June.

The query I have relates to the cost and reliability of the journey
Varenna 8:36 Milan Central 9:40
Milan central 9:55 Malpensa 10:46

This gets me to the Airport 2:15 hours before the flight which is fine however if the first train is missing there seems to be a gap in the timetable which means I would be late.

Is this journey normally reliable?
Also Where can I find the cost as Trentitalia site does not show it

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I will be travelling from an overnight stop in Varenna to Malpensa Airport on 22nd June.
The query I have relates to the cost and reliability of the journey
Varenna 8:36 Milan Central 9:40
Milan central 9:55 Malpensa 10:46
This gets me to the Airport 2:15 hours before the flight which is fine however if the first train is missing there seems to be a gap in the timetable which means I would be late.
Is this journey normally reliable?
Also Where can I find the cost as Trentitalia site does not show it

Milan Centrale-Malpensa on Malpensa Express is €12. http://www.malpensaexpress.it/en/malpensa-express/tickets/ticket-fares.aspx
This is every 30 minutes.
Varenna-Milan Centrale is €6.70.
Sorry, have no experience of either service.

axlecounter

Should be reliable, since you arrive in Milan after peak. If you arrive late in Milan you only lose half an hour since there is a MXP at 10:25.

Personally I'd take the 8:06 to Lecco, so to always have a backup. 8:06 or 8:36 from Varenna, 9:01 (it's the 8:36 passing by) or 9:07 from Lecco. The latter arrives in Milan Porta Garibaldi and you then catch the 10:25 MXP from there (it's the first stop after Centrale).

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
You've identified that the biggest chance of something going wrong is between Varenna and Milan, so I think axlecounter's plan is pretty good.

embers25

Established Member
You can buy tickets online and there is a cunning trick around the excessive fare to Malpensa.

Buy Varenna to Busto Arsizio Nord (9.20 euro) and Busto Arsizio Nord to Malpensa (3.50 euro)

You can use any Malpensa express with this as all trains stop at Busto Arsizio Nord

dutchflyer

Established Member
Sorry-they do know about this trick and it can thus ony be done by detraining at BAN and buy a local ticket from the machine there. Which will thus eat another 30 mins time+more schlepping with all the luggages. I remember-though its from quite some time ago, that unusual for IT they even dit check this.
There are very frequent BUSes direct to MXP=Malpense from the eastern side/stairs of the long hallway at Milano Centrale and these cost less as the trains-often special deals like 3 for 2. BTW: I thought that the Trenord MXP express does not lve from Centrale from Porta Garibaldi? has this changed now?

zuriblue

Sorry-they do know about this trick and it can thus ony be done by detraining at BAN and buy a local ticket from the machine there. Which will thus eat another 30 mins time+more schlepping with all the luggages. I remember-though its from quite some time ago, that unusual for IT they even dit check this.
There are very frequent BUSes direct to MXP=Malpense from the eastern side/stairs of the long hallway at Milano Centrale and these cost less as the trains-often special deals like 3 for 2. BTW: I thought that the Trenord MXP express does not lve from Centrale from Porta Garibaldi? has this changed now?

No, it goes from Centrale at xx:27/xx:57 and Cadorna at xx:25/xx:55.

http://www.trenord.it/en/the-lines/malpensa-express.aspx

embers25

Established Member

That's wrong as both tickets are available for purchase online with neither needing validating and so through journey is possible at the much cheaper fare. Also the trains are every 15 mins roughly from BAN so it's not even much of an inconvenience to detrain there

Last edited:

axlecounter

That's wrong as both tickets are available for purchase online with neither needing validating and so through journey is possible at the much cheaper fare. Also the trains are every 15 mins roughly from BAN so it's not even much of an inconvenience to detrain there

As I've found out, this trick is possible only by detraining. Not because you can't buy the tickets but because it's specified in Trenord's terms&conditions.
I've found them only in italian. Basically they say that you can always buy a second ticket from your final station to another to extend your journey except with the MXP.

embers25

Established Member
As I've found out, this trick is possible only by detraining. Not because you can't buy the tickets but because it's specified in Trenord's terms&conditions.
I've found them only in italian. Basically they say that you can always buy a second ticket from your final station to another to extend your journey except with the MXP.

How valid those conditions are when they are not displayed when buying in English is up for debate but even changing at BAN and getting on the train behind doesn't add too much and you wouldn't have to leave the station as neither ticket needs validating.

NicholasNCE

How valid those conditions are when they are not displayed when buying in English is up for debate but even changing at BAN and getting on the train behind doesn't add too much and you wouldn't have to leave the station as neither ticket needs validating.

No debate worth having there, T&Cs in Italy will obviously be in Italian and will most certainly hold legal value... Just as SNCF T&Cs (CGV) are only published in French: http://www.sncf.com/en/commitments/conditions-carriage-passenger
If you want to play with legal terms in a foreign country, learn the language! :roll:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I doubt that the conditions not being displayed in English would have any impact at all legally.

Lad Brookes

I travelled from Varenna to Colico a couple of summers ago. No retailing facilities at the station, just a sign directing people to one of two nearby shops to purchase. One was a travel agency at the bottom of the road leading up from the lake, but it was closed.

I got on board without purchasing, and wandered up the train to find the guard as soon as I had boarded. He was perfectly happy to sell me the tickets, with no additional fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.