• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Varsity line - why did Bletchley to Bedford survive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Many thanks, RT4038 for your comprehensive comments in #12. Having loads of relations in Bedfordshire villages I recall the brickworks dominating the skyline in the 1960's very well, it was quite a shock years later to find that they had all disappeared as I drove towards Bedford from the M1. A few years ago I made the journey by train from Bletchley, attempting to locate Forders Sidings Signal Box where Dad worked sometime in the 1940's but didn't have any luck. Hoping to try again in a few weeks rather better prepared, but I notice the train service is currently very sparse.
If I may, I'm going to illustrate the line with one of Dad's random photos, taken from, I think, the signal box...he also took one of the box, may have been on his last day. The long train appears to be of empties, although it isn't easy to tell...quite a load for an elderly 3F! There is also another 3F (I think) in the background and plenty of wagons. The driver (or fireman) appears to realise that Dad was taking a photo. One of those old railway photographs (of which there are many!) in an industrial setting that has changed beyond all recognition.GEH212.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
Yes. Based on the track plan, photos and the NLS’ maps, it is almost certainly taken from the box looking roughly south-west.

EDIT: Although the line isn’t closed, there is a section on Stewartby (and other nearby locations) on the .disused-stations.org.uk site which might be of interest.

Last edited:

RT4038

Established Member
Many thanks, RT4038 for your comprehensive comments in #12. Having loads of relations in Bedfordshire villages I recall the brickworks dominating the skyline in the 1960's very well, it was quite a shock years later to find that they had all disappeared as I drove towards Bedford from the M1. A few years ago I made the journey by train from Bletchley, attempting to locate Forders Sidings Signal Box where Dad worked sometime in the 1940's but didn't have any luck. Hoping to try again in a few weeks rather better prepared, but I notice the train service is currently very sparse.
If I may, I'm going to illustrate the line with one of Dad's random photos, taken from, I think, the signal box...he also took one of the box, may have been on his last day. The long train appears to be of empties, although it isn't easy to tell...quite a load for an elderly 3F! There is also another 3F (I think) in the background and plenty of wagons. The driver (or fireman) appears to realise that Dad was taking a photo. One of those old railway photographs (of which there are many!) in an industrial setting that has changed beyond all recognition.
You are right, there has been an amazing transformation! Forder's Sidings signalbox controlled the huge sidings and loading complex at the London Brick Stewartby Works.(The works was established by B.J.H. Forder in 1897 and merged to form the London Brick Company in 1923) The Signalbox was on the right hand side some way after leaving Stewartby (Wootton Pillinge) Halt, only a short distance before the Wootton Broadmead level crossing (which had a halt prior to WW2). In your lovely picture, the bridge in the background was an internal bridge of the Works, with Stewartby Halt behind it.

nw1

Established Member
It's quite amazing (from that photo above) to see so much industry in a part of the country that I have never associated with being particularly industrial.

I must have first travelled on the M1 in early 1980, and I don't remember seeing anything then. That said, I do remember when approaching Bedford much more recently (2016) from the south on the MML, noting that the look of the countryside had an air of 'former industry' about it.

WesternLancer

Established Member
If I may, I'm going to illustrate the line with one of Dad's random photos, taken from, I think, the signal box...he also took one of the box, may have been on his last day. The long train appears to be of empties, although it isn't easy to tell...quite a load for an elderly 3F! There is also another 3F (I think) in the background and plenty of wagons. The driver (or fireman) appears to realise that Dad was taking a photo. One of those old railway photographs (of which there are many!) in an industrial setting that has changed beyond all recognition.View attachment 99067
Remarkable - and impressive picture! I thought there were a fair few chimneys in the area when I saw it for the first time in the 1980s - but nothing on those shown in that image. Very nice to see that and thanks for posting it Arglwydd. Was your dad working as a signalman at the time?

johnw

True - but the Coachlinks brand (which X5 was part of) started out in the mid-80s. I've found online this leaflet which details some of the routes in place in 1986 - which shows the route the X5 takes now was largely covered by other routes back then. https://picclick.co.uk/United-Count...ton-Nottingham-353308890496.html#&gid=1&pid=1

X3 - Northampton - Bedford - St Neots - Cambridge
X32 - Northampton - Milton Keynes - Buckingham - Bicester - Oxford
The X5 was never branded as a Coachlinks route and used ex Wallace Arnold B10M Plaxtons originally then being replaced by ex Oxford Tube stock. It was branded as Stagecoach Express.

A0wen

On Moderation
The X5 was never branded as a Coachlinks route and used ex Wallace Arnold B10M Plaxtons originally then being replaced by ex Oxford Tube stock. It was branded as Stagecoach Express.
Interesting - this photo (not mine, so credit to the poster) suggests Coachlinks branded vehicles werevon the X5.

Falcon1200

Established Member
At the time of Beeching there was an Oxford - Cambridge coach operated by Premier Travel & Percival's.

There was also a Bedford - Oxford service operated jointly by United Counties and City of Oxford Motor Services.

The Bletchley-Oxford (121) and Bedford-Cambridge (428) services were licensed, as these sections were lightly loaded and only required a small number of buses (about every 2 hours) and no peak boosting.

In the 70s I used the Oxford/Cambridge service to get to Hitchin and Cambridge for spotting purposes, so this used a different (and probably more useful) route from the Varsity Line; IIRC it also went via Luton. The Oxford/Bletchley bus was also handy for spotting trips, although rather a slow journey. I look forward to making the trip by train !

richieb1971

Established Member
Forders sidings were repurposed in the 1970's for the Bin liner which filled the exhausted clay pit. The box crane still resides there in a neglected state as do all the sidings. Signal box located by red box. Forders sidings are huge in numbers. Masked by the gravel that has allowed a lot of it to be covered.

1625300450033.png

1625300347155.png

Veteran Member
In the 70s I used the Oxford/Cambridge service to get to Hitchin and Cambridge for spotting purposes, so this used a different (and probably more useful) route from the Varsity Line; IIRC it also went via Luton.
Thame, Aylesbury, Tring, Luton, Hitchin IIRC. May have been mentioned upthread, if so apologies for repetition.
The Oxford/Bletchley bus was also handy for spotting trips, although rather a slow journey. I look forward to making the trip by train !
Don't remember using it, but memory says it served a fair few villages en route - Bicester was a small town compared to today.

Helvellyn

Established Member
Whilst I would have loved to see Penrith-Keswick survive to serve the North Lakes in much the way the Windermere branch does for the South Lakes I think road building and WCML electrification probably helped contribute to its closure.

Road building - the M6 Penrith bypass West of the town also saw the A66 Southern bypass built as part of extending the latter westwards to Workington. This saw the Southern junction of the Keswick branch severed when the new A66 formation was built from Junction 40 westwards, as well as a new rail bridge over the new dual carriageway. Whilst the new rail bridge over the M6 included a third track (actually on a separate bridge span) this became the new Down Loop with WCML northern electrification. So to keep the Keswick branch would have potentially needed the old Darlington bay platform (between platforms 2 and 3) reinstated. But even then looped freight trains would render that blocked so operationally the Keswick branch would have been at risk of disruption from freight traffic using the loop. Plus the argument was that an extended A66 was going to offer a faster road link to Keswick (although it's still not dual carriageway all the way so can be congested in Summer).

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Thanks @richieb1971 for the location on Google...I do aim to travel to Bedford in a fortnight or so, probably returning via the Marston Vale line so I will look out for it!....and yes, @WesternLancer he was working as a signalman. I'm trying to date the photo. my older brother was born in Bedford in 1945, so I'm assuming it was sometime in the postwar period, tho' before 1948. he wouldn't have had any film during the war but I do have some early family photos in that period.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Thanks @richieb1971 for the location on Google...I do aim to travel to Bedford in a fortnight or so, probably returning via the Marston Vale line so I will look out for it!....and yes, @WesternLancer he was working as a signalman. I'm trying to date the photo. my older brother was born in Bedford in 1945, so I'm assuming it was sometime in the postwar period, tho' before 1948. he wouldn't have had any film during the war but I do have some early family photos in that period.
Thanks, yes would be interesting to know the date. Another great pic from your dad - full of varied interest!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A reminder that the topic of the thread is Varsity line - why did Bletchley to Bedford survive?

If anyone wants to discuss anything else then they are welcome to start a new thread.

Thanks.

RT4038

Established Member
On the Bedford to Bletchley line, would I be correct in thinking that Husborne Crawley railway station, opened 30th October 1905 and closed 5th May 1941, was the only one of the original stations to close?
Husborne Crawley was only a halt. Wootton Broadmead and Kempston & Elstow halts, also opened in 1905 and closed in 1941.

RT4038

Established Member
Thank you for this information on those two now-closed halts.
All three closed halts were situated in open countryside, at level crossings. Husborne Crawley and Kempston & Elstow halts were a long walk from the places they purported to serve, and Wootton Broadmead served some otherwise isolated farm cottages. When motor omnibus services were established in the district, what little traffic they had would have dried up almost immediately, as they were more convenient.

Pigeon

Much like Kempston Hardwick - nothing there and too far away from actual Kempston to be much use in serving it, or anywhere else either. At least Wootton Broadmead a few hundred metres away had a wee bit of claim to be a "Stewartby East". Maybe someone tossed a coin to decide which one should get the chop...

RT4038

Established Member
Much like Kempston Hardwick - nothing there and too far away from actual Kempston to be much use in serving it, or anywhere else either. At least Wootton Broadmead a few hundred metres away had a wee bit of claim to be a "Stewartby East". Maybe someone tossed a coin to decide which one should get the chop...
Much like Kempston Hardwick now , but at that time Eastwoods brickyard was right door to the station, and the huge Coronation works at Chimney Corner within walking distance.

Wootton Broadmead was not really Stewartby East. It was not near any housing (except some isolated farm cottages), nor much use for the brickyards because the admin / sign on etc was much closer to Stewartby Station. Stewartby station (formerly known as Wootton Pillinge) was within walking distance of the garden Village established in 1926 for employees of London Brick, and the admin / timekeeping of the brickyards.

I expect the traffic figures provided the evidence for the decision making of which halts would close.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I used to commute on the WCML in the 1970s & 1980s and used to joke that the trains only stopped at MKC on wet Tuesday nights in winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.