• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ventilation shafts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic

I've always found LU ventilation shafts to be a massively overlooked part of the combine's architecture. There are loads of these all over the city but I particularly like the brutal in-your-face presence of the Victoria line ones. Here's a selection from the Vic line...

Screenshot_20190113-174251_Earth.jpg Screenshot_20190113-173431_Earth.jpg Screenshot_20190113-173221_Earth.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
I've always found ventilation shafts fascinating too. Is there one on the Northern Line between Waterloo and Kennington? There's always a rush of air on that stretch especially in the southbound tunnel. Even more interestingly, I believe there is a ventilation shaft somewhere along Fleet Street awaiting its Fleet Line tunnels to run through. As much as I love the JLE I wish we could of had both!

Heard there is a shaft that goes down from Lambeth North station to the Northern Line tunnels below. Is this true?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I've always found ventilation shafts fascinating too. Is there one on the Northern Line between Waterloo and Kennington? There's always a rush of air on that stretch especially in the southbound tunnel. Even more interestingly, I believe there is a ventilation shaft somewhere along Fleet Street awaiting its Fleet Line tunnels to run through. As much as I love the JLE I wish we could of had both!

Heard there is a shaft that goes down from Lambeth North station to the Northern Line tunnels below. Is this true?
There was some discussion about the Fleet Line ventilation shafts in a fairly recent (last September) thread here:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/disused-stations.166525/page-3

bramling

Veteran Member

Yes there are connections at Lambeth North. There’s a gallery and heading leading from the southbound tunnel which emerges in the end of one of the Lambeth North lift landings. Stand there and Northern Line trains can clearly be heard. It’s just about possible to access the Northern Line southbound tunnel from here, albeit via a rickety ladder.

On the northbound there’s a ventilation shaft which comes up in the bottom of a disused Lambeth North lift shaft, but this isn’t suitable for man access. There’s also various cable routes leading to the substation adjacent to Lambeth North station, which is in fact a Northern Line substation and doesn’t supply the Bakerloo.

The rush of air may be something else though. There used to be a construction site at Bethlehem Hospital when the line was built, the shafts of which were back filled once construction was completed. However the pairs of shield chambers remain in place on both northbound and southbound, which normally results in a change in air pressure when trains pass at speed, especially now trains regularly reach 50 mph at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.