• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Very interesting ticket...

Status
Not open for further replies.

evil_hippo

Evidently Appleby's sales of one-day rovers are slow, judging by the stock its aptis machines print on.

e6x275.png

Now take a closer look at it...

e6x2lk.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simming

I think BR is here to stay, logo wise. my young persons has got the double arrows on it. And I suppose new stations still have the signs with the same logo.

incedently, my ex-form tutor at my old secondry school was part of the team that designed that logo :lol:

Ben

Simming said:
incedently, my ex-form tutor at my old secondry school was part of the team that designed that logo :lol:

it took a team of people to design it? :o

Tom B

Established Member
TBH, however much they pay marketing consultants to make up a new flashy logo, the double arrows is here to stay.

Coxster

Established Member
The BR arrows are on most station signs and public footpath/road signs so it is a very easy way of locating stations. Simple but effective ;)

Nick

We still use it cause it's the logo of National Rail.

joy54.gen

Most of the people that have seen my rover have seen the old BR writing on the old rover stock at some stations. Whitby and Paddington are two examples

AlexS

Established Member
The BR Arrows have been adopted as the official global sign of mainline rail in the UK. The British Rail green background should say Rail Settlement Plan though! We don't even have those old style tickets any more. Ours have a new sharp black ink with the corners cut off! The death of APTIS is near, I guess. SPORTIS still floating around on some ATW trains though.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
TheSlash said:
Sportis, Advantix, Aptis? They all print tickets, whats the difference?

Sportis prints on that annoying, flimsy, not-accepted-by-barriers type of ticket paper! They also don't fit in ticket wallets properly (which leads to damaged tickets, which leads to tight conductors charging you again), and to top it off they're so lightweight (compared to card-based tickets) they're easy to lose in high winds, or turblence. Trust me.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Some Arriva TW staff also have SPORTIS rolls on their Avantix machines.
Chiltern still use SPORTIS, with most of the ticket offices still using APTIS. They're also trialing the awful CTS FasTIS at High Wycombe & Banbury.

jd

Central have TRIBUTE in all of their ticket offices I've been into in the last 6 months or so.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah that's what I thought Zoltan. All tickets have the BR logo! :lol:

That is a very old ticket. I wonder how much of that stock they have left.

Hubert_F

TheSlash said:
Sportis, Advantix, Aptis? They all print tickets, whats the difference?
From what I believe, they are of devices that print tickets.
APTIS: Main device used at stations, created by BR
SPORTIS: Mobile device usually used on services which serve at un-manned stations, created by BR
Advantix: A new type device used at stations

These are only of limited definitions, I'm sure members here can provide a more detailed explanation.

jd

Is SPORTIS the one that's like a big brick? If so, what are the newer ones called? I think they're just PDAs with a printer attached, basically...

T

Tom

Don't SWT have mobile Tribute machines for the on-train staff?

metrocammel

e6x275.png

You should have got it put on Rover Stock, It looks much nicer like that! And I'm guessing if Appleby still use the BR One Day Ranger stock, they still have the old BR "Red Logo" Rail Rover tickets, which are even nicer! My station, Stalybridge has "British Rail" ONE DAY ROVER STOCK, but its ROVER STOCK is RSP, with front boxes, though Victoria has unusual no box RSP rover stock, which doesnt seem to be very common.

metrocammel

tubechallenger said:
Don't SWT have mobile Tribute machines for the on-train staff?

The computer system on the Avantix machine might be similar to Tribute, but as Jdan said, the "Avantix" is a PDA with a printer basically, and it is the printer that is an Avantix printer, it is just a portable form of Tribute. At-the Station, Tribute is the name for the computer system, whereas there are many different printing perhiperals, ie Virgin have Tribute with a "Newbury data Printer", whereas MML have Tribute with a "Swecoin" printer, which is a thicker font. All Tribute systems now print on thermal stock, which means mainly orange tickets from now on (unless you know which ticket to buy, and they still have the purple stock at Manchester Picc!- The reserves are quickly running out though! :shock: )

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Jordy said:
I have some Purple Advanced Purchase tickets, are they unusual?

Jordy
Yes.

The logic now is that it's better if all stock is the same as it's cheaper.

Unfortunately that logic is flawed as it now takes longer for staff to recognise rovers etc, I've had many conductors try to stamp rovers/rangers.

Also when we had a 'family metro rover' it was not very clear what it was, so we got asked loads of times and had to explain it each time. When we got metro rovers on the old stock it was never questioned. You can also have difficulty using such rovers on buses if they're on normal stock.

It's quite ironic that they want to save a few pence by getting rid of custom ticket stock, making it harder to recognise tickets, yet the opposite happens with train liveries, where any random liveried train can turn up! :roll:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why were you charged £8.20 for this ticket? the NR site states "Concession: £7·60 Railcard holder".

I was charged £7.60 at Newcastle, yet John (6M60 SEATON FLASKS) was charged £8.20 at Durham. :?

The rover is valid at Durham and Newcastle, so the discrepancy cannot be due to being issued at a different station, it can't be an "add on" fare, surely.

It's only 60p so doesn't matter, but I'd be interested to know the 'logic' behind it!

They must have been meddling with the fares though, as it's more expensive than a Newcastle-Carlisle CDR (£7.45), but last year I asked for a ticket to Carlisle, from Newcastle, and the ticket clerk kindly informed me that a Tyne Valley rover was cheaper! (It was only a few pence but it's the thought that counts - well done GNER! ).

The Tyne Valley Rover was (and still is) amazing value for money, I wonder if the original price was too cheap and they're increasing it at every opportunity? This happened with the ridiculously cheap York-Doncaster CDR 4 years ago (which was £5 adults, £3.30 railcard, £2.50 child, considerably cheaper than a York-Leeds, yet valid via Leeds! :lol: )

Techniquest

Veteran Member
One problem that does certainly appear frequently with rover stock here is the staff print them on the wrong stock!

Take the Freedom of South Wales 3 in 7 Day Rover, for example. I use them a lot (usually 3 times a month!), as I don't have to shell out £12.50 a week for a bus ticket on top of all rail fares then. For £19.80 (with Y-P off-peak season, £23.10 outside it), it represents excellent value for money, allowing 3 days (or more ;) ) rail travel in those 7 days, as well as 7 days of bus travel on buses in South Wales. The latter is used when I go to work and back, the rail bit comes in handy when I go on a spotting trip to Newport.

Now we know what it basically is, you may or may not know that there are Freedom of Wales Flexi Pass rover ticket stock, on which the South Wales 3 in 7, 7 day, North and Mid Wales and All Wales rover tickets are supposed to be printed on. I don't have a link to a picture of it, but I'm sure some people know what it looks like.

Of course, most of the time I buy one, Swansea's staff have an annoying lack of knowledge, and print it on Rail Rover stock (does someone know which sort I mean?), not the Flexi Pass stock. As a result, when you come to use it on the bus, the bus drivers (perhaps understandably) don't know what it is and assume it's not valid on their bus. The amount of times I've had to explain what it is, and made to look like I don't know what I'm talking about...Then comes the rare day when they print it on the Flexi Pass stock, I nearly exclaimed 'YES! About time!' out loud, but I refrained from doing so.

That's my rover ticket stock story anyway, if a lengthy one.

Jordy

Established Member
ticket.jpg

Heres the Ticket, I have 6 of them, Grimsby Town Station have a pile of them!

Jordy

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have some of those, from High Wycombe!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've a SAR too, not sure what colour, it looks very much the same as that, bar the route and mine has Y-P on it. Well, as I'm being pedantic, the price is also different.

But yes, got that.

Status
Not open for further replies.