• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Very-trivial trivia item: Stations on a Monopoly board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Greenback, I'd beg to differ with you regarding "LNER-mentioning-by-name-or-not". I own a "nostalgia" modern facsimile of Monopoly in one of its earliest British forms: on the board, the letters "L.N.E.R." appear under the name of each station. If I recall rightly, post-nationalisation the letters in the spots concerned, were altered to "B.R.". I have also a fairly recently-produced set of the classic London Monopoly; on the board of this one, the names of the four stations are just given, with no indication of ownership.

I don't doubt you. the oldest set I've had access to was one my uncle used as a boy in the late 1950's. There was no mention of LNER on that one, as you would expect since the railways had been nationalised by then! It could well be the case that earlier editions, pre nationalisation, were so inscribed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
You mean Canterbury North Lane? I guess so.

Didn't know that was the name -- was just going from gen in the "Times" book Mapping the Railways, giving rail maps of the Canterbury area as at 1850 and 1920.

backontrack

Established Member
Didn't know that was the name -- was just going from gen in the "Times" book Mapping the Railways, giving rail maps of the Canterbury area as at 1850 and 1920.

Ah. I have that book. :smile:

Canterbury's 'North Lane' station was situated not very far away from the station that followed it, Canterbury West.

Status
Not open for further replies.