• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Very useful ticket for Northerners...

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Carlisle-Newcastle has lots of mapped routes, which makes it valid via York and Leeds.

Carlisle and Newcastle are both Routeing Points, so there is no need for the fares check.

Mapped routes are:-
Which makes it an incredibly flexible ticket.

Anyone undertaking such a journey is strongly advised to bring the relevant printouts from the RG with them, including the list of mapped routes and the relevant maps.

Northern did try to "ching" someone on one of these tickets, and Northern were then forced to refund the excess, apologise, and admitted that the route taken was valid. TPE once challenged someone else on one of these tickets but when shown the Routeing Guide, accepted it was valid. You might get less hassle from a Heworth to Wigton ticket (only slightly more expensive), as guards are likely to think that Newcastle to Carlisle won't be valid via York.

I suspect the anomaly will be removed in the next revision of the Routeing Guide (Northern have recently removed many other anomalies such as Bradford-Skipton being cheaper than Leeds-Skipton but valid via Leeds) so you can be sure this loophole won't be around for long!!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
In this case I can understand why staff would be confused!
Some of the permitted routes obviously have historical reasons but I cant for the life of me think why Newcastle to Carlisle via Leeds was ever a permitted route.

mrcheek

Established Member
I assume its because there are so few direct services, that the quickest route will sometimes be via Manchester

djw1981

Established Member
It is near enough hourly during the day. A couple of 75 minute then 45 minute gaps so not totally clockface.

Standard journey time is about 1:20, so even with a 75 min wait, it can only be quicker if you can do Ncl-Man-Car in 2h35. Which is unlikely.

Tom B

Established Member
Has that always been the case, or has the line only recently had that level of service?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Talk of whether an alternative is "quicker" is irrelevant. After all, it's never quicker to do York-London via Cambridge and Audley End, but it's certainly valid!

squeaky

Did this. Was forced to get a new ticket. Complained and got refunded in rail vouchers, but northern say they're talking to ATOC about changing the routing guide...

Status
Not open for further replies.