• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Very wide trackbed near Hounslow & Brentford

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Brentford loop line between approximately X43 & X06 is much wider than it needs to be. It appears to be wide enough for 4 tracks & all the bridges are designed that way. An exception to this is a section that is used as a car park for a recent apartment complex. Also strange is a bridge over the railway that continues over some vacant land at 51.467506, -0.351299 & another that continues over an industrial estate at track level at 51.462878, -0.360547. There is a pointless 15-chain fence running perfectly parallel to the line north of XIII20. However, Heath Rd. itself goes over a bridge that only spans the 2 current tracks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
I take it you mean the section immediately NE of Hounslow (your description wasn't exactly clear - what are X43 and X06?

One area you describe is obviously Hounslow station goods yard, and the other is similar in shape, with relatively modern housing next to Victorian terraced housing.
The 1960 sectional appendix mentions Hounslow no. 2 goods yard, accessed by a ground frame on the up side between Hounslow and Isleworth, so I think we have the explanation.
Anyone know what it was used for?

CatfordCat

Not quite sure exactly where you mean, but as 30907 says, Hounslow goods yard was on the NE side of Hounslow station.

Does this (1950s mapping) help?

Veteran Member
I would hazard a guess that no.2 yard for coal was a result of the enormous expansion of housing in the area - there being presumably no way of expanding at the station itself.

Thanks for producing the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.