• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

VHS compact to DVD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

38Cto15E

Bit of an old one here, me as well as the question:D

I have an early video camera which used VHSC cassettes, the compact ones.
These are now old hat and I wondered if it is easily possible to have someone transfer the images to DVD.
I have some nice Class 37s in Scotland on the tapes including cab ride on the Kyle line, I guess from the early 80s.
Any info most welcome, TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
There are some converters out there to change VHS in DVD, costing around £100, but I have no idea if they can do the compact version.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I think Jessops can do this, although if you have a lot to do that will be rather expensive. I'd suggest finding out what they and other high street services will charge and then comparing with the cost of buying a machine plus the blank DVD-Rws to put the footage on to.

One other thing to bear in mind, old video tapes can be very fragile especially if they haven't been played for years, so if in any doubt it would be best to pay the professional rates.

Retropractor

You should be able to get the gizmo to do it yourself, from PC World. Compatibility shouldn't be a problem, as it's only a question of connecting the appropriate leads. I believe there is a converter available for about £60.00ish.
My son gave me one, that connects to the PCMCIA Express socket on my laptop. Haven't tried it out yet, though.

Last edited:

Retropractor

After I gave up videoing weddings, I was kept rather busy, by converting VHS videos to/from, USA/UK format. I guess, had I not retired. VHS/DVD would have been another service I would have been called upon, to provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.