• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

via Bangor (Gwynedd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

firespire

On Atos based online booking websites a ticket from/to Llanfairfechan along the North Wales Coast to/from for example Crewe or somewhere in England etc. can be routed via Bangor (Gwynedd) ie. going further and double backing. The Trainline websites don't allow "via Bangor (Gwynedd)".

Is there a known rule in the area to go via Bangor?, I can only find the double back at LLandudno Junction Easement rule and I'm not sure it is the right one for this case.

Basically I want to buy a Off Peak Day Return from Bangor but one doesn't exist for my trip the nearest is from Llanfairfechan but the chosen train from Bangor doesn't stop there so I would have pay extra to split tickets at LLandudno Junction.

I assume I would run into problems walking into Bangor station and asking for a cheaper Llanfairfechan to destination X via Bangor ticket and boarding in Bangor.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
AIUI Llanfairfechan is not a timing point for trains which do not stop there, so the booking engine may not be aware that there is a doubleback there.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Any ticket bought in conjunction with an itinerary is valid as per that itinerary; there is no requirement to consult the Routeing Guide!

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
This is interesting; I don't think the doubleback should come into it: Llandudno Junction (LLJ) is the (one and only) destination routeing point for a Crewe to Llanfairfechan (LLF) journey, and LLJ-Bangor (BNG)-LLF is not a permitted route from the destination routeing point to destination: it's not a through train and it's quite a bit more than 3 miles longer than the shortest route.

I wonder if it's possible that WebTIS is getting confused by the Llandudno doubleback easement mentioned in the OP (see below); perhaps it is both
  1. not recognising that the easement applies only to a doubleback at LLJ and not at BNG
  2. applying doubleback easements to any non-permitted journey, even if the reason for non-permittedness wasn't a doubleback!

National Routeing Guide Easement 700396 said:
Customers travelling from Llanfairfechan, Penmaenmawr and Conwy via Bangor may double back via Llandudno Junction. This easement applies in both directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.