• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Viaduct Works Shrewsbury

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomuk

Established Member
Some substantial works were carried out at Shrewsbury over the weekend to repair the viaduct that carries the station over the River Severn.

Once complete I assume the down main between platforms 3 and 4 will be reinstated after being out of use for the last 3? years.

Looking at Realtime Trains there appeared to be a number of down arrivals from Wolverhampton into the Up platform 7. Does anyone know how they were being routed into the platform? Reversing at English Bridge after going round the triangle?

Shrewsbury-18-6-2016--- by Mike Hemming, on Flickr

Shrewsbury-18-6-2016-- by Mike Hemming, on Flickr

Shrewsbury-18-6-2016- by Mike Hemming, on Flickr

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
One proposal I've read (I forget which NR document it was) tabled the idea of extending platform 3 out to the down main track, as the current track there doesn't allow access to Crewe.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
They ran straight in, so special arrangements would have had to be made as loaded passenger trains are signalled to run into Platform 7 from the South End. Platform 7 is bi-directional once you are in it, hence Crewe locals turning round in 7B.

Tomnick

Established Member
How did they achieve that then?! There's no physical route to run straight into 7 from that end of the station. I wouldn't say that the presence of a signalled route back out of 7 towards Crewe makes it a truly bi-directional line either.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
How did they achieve that then?! There's no physical route to run straight into 7 from that end of the station. I wouldn't say that the presence of a signalled route back out of 7 towards Crewe makes it a truly bi-directional line either.

Had another closer look at Quail map and inclined to agree. I think it was probably an error so far as RTT was concerned and should have been Platform 6 which appears to have been the norm for most of the day. Remember RTT does not always show the correct Platform numbers, so probably 7 was input in error and any alteration not changed in RTT.

craigybagel

Established Member

Indeed, platform 4 is the only truly bi-di platform at Salop. 3 and 7 are partially, both being bi-di at one end only.

One other less obvious issue at Shrewsbury that these viaduct repairs will fix is that as well as the through road being not available, platform 3 is also barred to freight, meaning all northbound freight trains have to use platform 4 at the moment, which given its the busiest platform is not without issues.

Heartland

I notice that Shrewsbury Station has undergone a refurbishment with contractors scaffolding over the station buildings. The last major change here was the reconstruction of 1899-1903 when the bridge over the River Severn was widened and the platforms extended towards Severn Bridge Junction. The overhead gantry signal box was removed at the same time and the new iconic structure built. The work going on appears to be a tidying up of platform 3 and the old bay platforms. Were there any structural issues for this work to go ahead?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Further to my post, I note the recent discussion has mentioned platform numbering. I understand from 1903 the present platform 3 was platform 10 and the part on the Severn Viaduct Platform 7 with the bay platforms 8 & 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.