• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Victoria line suspended - concrete flood 23 Jan 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

user15681

Established Member
Victoria line suspended from Brixton to Warren Street due to flooding. Anyone able to confirm what has caused the flooding? On the ground, staff are suspecting a burst pipe but no official word. By all accounts it seems pretty serious. Most sources estimating it won't be fixed until tomorrow.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

codesam

Apparently, it's concrete in the signalling room http://usvsth3m.com/post/74285062011/you-wont-believe-why-the-victoria-line-is-currently

You won’t believe why the Victoria Line is currently suspended

The civil engineering team has poured fast-setting concrete into the Victoria Line signalling equipment room and shut everything down

They are trying to get it out ASAP

This room also controls part of Pimlico

There’s an estimated 3 rows of relay equipment submerged in the concrete at this stage

So there you go, Victoria Line screwed because of fast-setting concrete

Look, here’s a map, it’s suspended - blimey.
But no other sources seem to be able to confirm that report.

Last edited by a moderator:

user15681

Established Member
The pictures seem legitimate, although as you say it is unconfirmed. Not so much flooding in the sense most people know. Looks like it'll be a nightmare to fix.

At Victoria about 40 minutes ago, a lot of engineers and officials emerged from the Vic line platforms at the top of the escalators. Official reasons being given were 'flooding', 'damage caused by flooding' and 'multiple signal failures'.

Last edited:

ModernRailways

Established Member

jon0844

Veteran Member
How lucky was I? Got on at Warren Street to go to King's Cross at 1640 and was able to get a train instantly, which came in on the southbound platform and was quickly turned around to run back to Walthamstow.

I saw that link about the fast-setting concrete and have to wonder if that's true. The typeface on the signs is correct, but it does seem rather odd.

Staff were doing an excellent job of explaining things to people at Warren Street, as well as at King's Cross - giving alternative routes. Of course, I still heard some staff being told it was a "F'in joke" and so on.

codesam

TFL Twitter seem to be responding to people asking them with ether

"no, I can't confirm that"

or

"I don't have that information at present."

Not sure what to read into that, just seems like a fairly standard political reply. The photos seem to be original (I.E. they're not showing up anywhere else in a Google reverse image search), doesn't prove if they're true or not, but it's making for some good jokes on Twitter

@Orbette said:
It's a shame that the @victorialine can't give us any CONCRETE information, but I imagine things must be pretty HARD for them right now.

codesam

Why doesnt the tfl press office just tell people whats going on anyway, one has to wonder.

I guess part of it is confirmation, they don't want to release something that isn't true so they probably want to be 100% sure they have all the facts. But also, if this rumor is true, the TFL/Mayor of London PR officers are currently scrambling to put together a press release to avoid headlines like "TFL cement cock-up costs £xxxx" etc.
It's all strategy and spin, have you not seen The Thick of It? =)

christopher

Looks like TfL are in a sticky situation being caught between a rock and a hard place if true...I'm sure help will come pouring in though :)

user15681

Established Member
Hearing confirmation now that it is concrete.

Unable to link to official press statement, but TfL saying contractors were working on new station area next to Victoria line signalling centre. Apparently all concrete now nearly removed, but then testing and repairs needed after. Delays expected until end of service.

Last edited:

Nym

Established Member
Looks like TfL are in a sticky situation being caught between a rock and a hard place if true...I'm sure help will come pouring in though :)

You mean like when they apologise for scooter users without checking any facts?

btw. What you're seeing is Q Type Relays that are used all over most rail networks and are still the new 'standard' relay to be fitted.

Last edited:

ushawk

Established Member
How the hell can you actually do that ?!?!

Surely they would have checked where they were putting the concrete first !!

Searle

Established Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25862543

Part of the Victoria London Underground line has been suspended after wet concrete flooded a control room.

Transport for London said the mixture of concrete and water was being used to "fill voids" while upgrade work was being carried out.

Nigel Holness from London Underground said: "We've isolated the cause of it and we're hoping to get the service up and running as quickly as possible."

The line has been suspended between Warren Street and Brixton.

Website Us Vs Th3m reported that about three rows of relay equipment were submerged in the concrete and published a number of pictures.

Looks like it's confirmed. That is seriously impressive!

christopher

http://www.itv.com/news/london/stor...ld-to-avoid-victoria-line-after-flood-damage/

"This afternoon our contractors were working on the new station in an area next to the Victoria line signal control room. These works involved the use of water and cement which leaked into the room, damaging equipment. This has meant there are no signals working on the southern section of the line.

The line is currently suspended between Warren Street and Brixton. Our engineers are working hard to resolve the situation as soon as possible to get services back up and running, but the line is expected to be affected for the remainder of the day while repairs are carried out. I am sorry for the delays which will result and I would ask that passengers seek alternative routes on the Northern and Bakerloo line.

– Transport for London"

LUL

Saw a PCSO controlling traffic at Victoria as the lights were out coming from Vauxhall bridge road wonder if it's related?

Nym

Established Member
Saw a PCSO controlling traffic at Victoria as the lights were out coming from Vauxhall bridge road wonder if it's related?

No, it's not...

Why would a Victoria Line SER be connected to traffic lights that are locally controlled and DNO fed?

dosxuk

Established Member
No, it's not...

Why would a Victoria Line SER be connected to traffic lights that are locally controlled and DNO fed?

Well, they had to move the quickly setting concrete somewhere... 8-)

DJL

No, it's not...

Is it a remote possibility that if an electrical circuit trips it could take the power out in surrounding areas?

I know the tube and main railways have their own power systems but I guess it still has to come from somewhere - right? (Or do they actually run their own power stations too?)

If the fault is big enough could it ripple right back to the power station?

It is obvious to me that a huge number of things would have to go wrong for this to actually happen, but can it be ruled out entirely?

Obviously I'm not suggesting this is what happened in this case - if it did chances are my lights would be out too!

Nym

Established Member
Is it a remote possibility that if an electrical circuit trips it could take the power out in surrounding areas?
No, the signalling circuits are very isolated from other areas
I know the tube and main railways have their own power systems but I guess it still has to come from somewhere - right? (Or do they actually run their own power stations too?)
Seven locations where power comes into the Powelink Network, any one of six of these could feed this room.
If the fault is big enough could it ripple right back to the power station?
No, The local trips on any circuit, utility etc are always set as to avoid the 'cascade effect' that would cause that to happen. This is a requirement stipulated by BS7671 17th Ed. for all installations, as to isolate circuit failures locally.
It is obvious to me that a huge number of things would have to go wrong for this to actually happen, but can it be ruled out entirely?

Obviously I'm not suggesting this is what happened in this case - if it did chances are my lights would be out too!
It would have also taken with it most of central london from both national grid feeds... Not just a set of lights(!)

PS: Signalling equipment is galvanically and / or mechanically isolated from The DNO / National Grid and any parts connected to it.

Last edited:

Zoidberg

Established Member
No, the signalling circuits are very isolated from other areas

How more than "isolated" is "very isolated".

Just being pedantic - I'm not a fan of tautology. :)

But otherwise your post was informative, thanks for that.

Nym

Established Member
How more than "isolated" is "very isolated".

Just being pedantic - I'm not a fan of tautology. :)

But otherwise your post was informative, thanks for that.

To the point of there is a minimum of two metres between any signal voltage powered equipment and any DNO / Powerlink equipment, other than meeting at controlled points such as relays and frequency changers.*

"Isolated" can include a simple galvonic isolation with a commoned groundplane.

Signalling equipment is much more isolated than this.

*Not everywhere, conditions apply.

philjo

Established Member
I was working near Victoria & was planning to use the Victoria Line to Green Park to visit some shops just after 4 so caught a C2 bus instead. Later on at Oxford Circus there were loads of people who were just standing by the taped off northbound Victoria platform despite lots of announcements saying the Victoria line was closed! I was amazed how empty the Bakerloo line train was - I went to Baker St & used the Met line to Kings cross.

simple simon

Its causing chaos for tens of thousands homebound commuters.

Somethings are so bizarre that they cannot be made up... no-one would believe such was possible.

Simon

DJL

Nym - most of what you just said went way over my head!
But from what you've said it sounds like there is more chance of a train doing a backflip and landing back on the tracks than a bit of misplaced concrete causing a blackout.
i.e. Not technically impossible, but will probably never happen in the entire lifetime of the universe, and them some.

(BTW my comment about my lights - I meant the lights in my living room and everything else with it, not some traffic lights. And I live about 15 miles from Victoria - but that's beside the point)

user15681

Established Member
I was working near Victoria & was planning to use the Victoria Line to Green Park to visit some shops just after 4 so caught a C2 bus instead. Later on at Oxford Circus there were loads of people who were just standing by the taped off northbound Victoria platform despite lots of announcements saying the Victoria line was closed! I was amazed how empty the Bakerloo line train was - I went to Baker St & used the Met line to Kings cross.

The Circle and District platforms were very busy at Victoria and as you'd expect the ticket halls were heaving. Plenty of BTP and TfL staff/volunteers to help people keep moving and plan alternative routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.