• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Victoria Line Train Leaves With Doors Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4397136.stm

Victoria Line Tube trains are being inspected after one travelled between stations with the doors open.
Metronet, which is responsible for maintenance on the line, said it believed the incident last month was probably caused by a passenger.

A spokesman said 40% of the fleet had been checked and nothing had been found to give "cause for any concern".

The Rail, Maritime and Transport union demanded safety assurances and blamed the problem on "shoddy modifications".

RMT General secretary Bob Crow said that work carried out by "unqualified agency staff has led to another safety crisis on the Tube network.

"If the doors of a peak-time Victoria Line train jam, the results could be lethal for the travelling public."

Metronet said the union's claims were "groundless".

The work, which Metronet said was precautionary, is due to be completed by 7 November.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

It must have had the pilot light on though, so defective doors are to blame probably.

Met Driver

Established Member
I'm not quite sure who to side with on this.

The RMT don't appear to have done their homework (no surprises there), but at the same time, Metromess is quite wrong in suggesting that it could have been caused by passengers. It is impossible to open the doors from the saloons without one of two pieces of equipment, which, as you might expect, are not issued to passengers. If it was caused by a passenger, they must have worked/work for LUL.

Met Driver

Established Member
tubechallenger said:
It must have had the pilot light on though, so defective doors are to blame probably.

You're probably right. I imagine the fault was with one set of doors, and the pilot light circuit didn't function properly (i.e. it didn't detect that the doors weren't closed).

For those who don't know, the 'Pilot Light' is an indicator in the cab which tells drivers when all the doors are closed. If this indicator fails to illuminate, the train cannot be 'motored' (power cannot be applied).

Jordy

Established Member
Sounds a bit dodgey if you ask me! :shock:

That really needs to be sorted out, if the train was packed and the doors got stuck open, I dread to think what could happen.

Jordy

jd

Was the entire fleet taken out of service until each train is examined? You'd think they would really, but the article doesn't suggest they did. This could, as they say, be potentially lethal, especially in a packed rush-hour train. They took the whole fleet out on the Northern because of the tripcocks, this sounds much more serious! (Although, the Northern Line tripcock problem did happen several times....)

Status
Not open for further replies.